PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift Suggestions PLEASE!

Nostromo
02-12-2004, 23:40
I need to send Christmas gifts to a family in New York comprising of Mom, Dad & 3 kids aged 10(girl), 7(girl) and 2(Boy). These are very special friends with whom we have had a rather stormy relationship over the years, but are trying to be in friendly terms again. I thought sending them nice Christmas Gifts could be a good start but am stumped on what's appropriate given the circumstances. I have set aside about £250 for the family (flexible) and would welcome suggestions on what to choose. Please advice (I am not very good with such things).

Lynnes
02-12-2004, 23:58
Have you thought of letting them have your villa free for a week in the slow season?

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 00:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lynnes
Have you thought of letting them have your villa free for a week in the slow season?
[/quote]

I would have if I owned a villa! Unfortunately, I don't and so I am reduced to usual things like Ties, Brooches, toys etc. (PS: The choice for the lady would perhaps be a bit more important than the others)

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 00:41
How old is the Mom? I will be your personal shopper on this one!

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 01:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
How old is the Mom? I will be your personal shopper on this one!
[/quote]

38 and very glamorous! Her husband, whom I have known for 36 years since we were kids, is a real Neanderthal who once gave his wife a DVD of "The Terminator" as a Valentine's gift! (I think you get the picture). I don't mind (in fact, I would love to) rankle him a bit with my choice of gifts to both of them. ;);)

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 02:10
MMMM.....What would I like as I am around the same age and like a bit of glamour. Chanel Makeup is lovely, maybe too intimate though, or a nice silk scarf, earrings or a bangle maybe, gold of course, always a winner! Maybe a pair of designer sunglasses or a designer belt, maybe a nice glamourous evening bag. Clothing would be too intimate I think. (You could buy your male friend a wooly pully though - the most garish one you could find)!

Now when it comes to your wife I can tell you where to buy the best!!!

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 02:17
Thanks CDV. I really like the idea of a garish wooly pully for that guy - but the problem is, he may actually like it! Chanel stuff sounds nice, but I wouldn't know how to buy it and I'm sure not going to ask MY wife for help! (It's kinda....well, complicated). Maybe I'll have to choose a nice Brooch and get books and toys for the kids.

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 02:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Thanks CDV. I really like the idea of a garish wooly pully for that guy - but the problem is, he may actually like it! Chanel stuff sounds nice, but I wouldn't know how to buy it and I'm sure not going to ask MY wife for help! (It's kinda....well, complicated). Maybe I'll have to choose a nice Brooch and get books and toys for the kids.
[/quote]

Pretty sure you can buy it on line. If you look at Harvey Nichs or Selfridges or even Debenhams they all sell it. I can't help you unfortunately as I buy mine at the airport as it is harder to come by where I live at the mo. Brooch sounds nice especially with a nice silk scarf! Good shopping!

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 02:28
Thank you very much CDV. You're a real pal, especially since you have not borne any grudge for being beaten in the race to the finish for the Gold Stars ;);)! Merry Christmas!!

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 02:30
Thank you very much CDV. You're a real pal, especially since you have not borne any grudge for being beaten in the race to the finish for the Gold Stars ;);)! Merry Christmas!!
[/quote]

Hey I let you win![xmas2]

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 02:35
[/quote]

[/quote]

All right then, when do I buy you a drink? Or three??

KJH
03-12-2004, 04:11
I hate people buying jewellery or perfume for me, let alone clothes. [:I] Can you not get her a gift voucher for a spa day, or one from one of the big stores, you will probably be able to get it online and have it delivered. At least you know they can get what they like with it. [msnsmile2]

Kaz

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 04:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
Can you not get her a gift voucher for a spa day, or one from one of the big stores, you will probably be able to get it online and have it delivered. At least you know they can get what they like with it. [msnsmile2]

Kaz
[/quote]

Thanks Kaz, but NO. In this instance, that would totally defeat the purpose of this gesture, which is a bit more double-edged than might seem at the surface. It's one of those situations where not only the thought but the right kind of thought that'll count! I'll have to choose a material gift like those that CDV mentioned.

fiona
03-12-2004, 05:04
Are they Anerican? Would something like a Fortnum & Mason hamper be a good idea? Might be less personal than things like perfume etc which if they live in NY will mean they have access to all the best stores etc.

Perhaps traditional Brit things might be a more unusual choice - harrods xmas teddy, harrods sweets etc. Beatric Potter books or stationery for the 7yr old, 10yr old needs something more grown up perhaps one of the flower fairies, and something like a wooden train for the boy??

If you want to stick to clothing might be best to go for scarves or gloves as then no potential problem with wrong sizes etc - but Burberry or Edinburgh Wool Mill might be a place to start.

Just be careful with the cost of sending a parcel - my sister just had heart failure having wrapped up something to our cousin in Oz and being charged £57 for postage - and no it wasn't that much in weight[msnmad]!!

george
03-12-2004, 08:50
Fiona is right about the cost of postage - we send small gifts to friends in Minnesota every year and the postage costs nearly as much as the gifts !

chrizzy100
03-12-2004, 09:18
[/quote]

I agree with CD about the scarf....its not something I wear.....but I still have a few that I wrap things in......and its cheap to post.....or lace.....for a dressing table.....

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 12:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
Are they Anerican? Would something like a Fortnum & Mason hamper be a good idea? Might be less personal than things like perfume etc which if they live in NY will mean they have access to all the best stores etc.

Perhaps traditional Brit things might be a more unusual choice - harrods xmas teddy, harrods sweets etc. Beatric Potter books or stationery for the 7yr old, 10yr old needs something more grown up perhaps one of the flower fairies, and something like a wooden train for the boy??
If you want to stick to clothing might be best to go for scarves or gloves as then no potential problem with wrong sizes etc - but Burberry or Edinburgh Wool Mill might be a place to start.

Just be careful with the cost of sending a parcel - my sister just had heart failure having wrapped up something to our cousin in Oz and being charged £57 for postage - and no it wasn't that much in weight[msnmad]!!
[/quote]

Thanks, Fiona. You've got some great ideas here. I really like the bit about Harrod's stuff for the kids, especially Brit things like Beatrix Potter books. I have no time to go to London though and will have to try on-line.

As for the adults, to answer your question, they are American Citizens now, but both are originally from India like us. And the gifts have to have a personal touch under the circumstances, something perhaps that HE might even think is a bit cheeky ;) but not blatant (if you know what I mean). We have known this couple 'on' and 'off' for many many years and can get away with some virtual repartee.

As to the cost of sending it across, it is completely immaterial. Thanks again for your very good ideas.

fiona
03-12-2004, 13:03
Well I am having to do all my Christmas shopping either on the net or locally as still too tired to face the shops after my op. You can get everything online and between that and catalogues that I am pouring over, I think this might be the most hassle free Christmas ever!

Just remind me I made a statement like that in 3 weeks time!!

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 15:19
[/quote]

[/quote]

All right then, when do I buy you a drink? Or three??
[/quote]

Has to be Bubbly and not the sort you put in the bath!

Nostromo
03-12-2004, 15:24
[
Has to be Bubbly and not the sort you put in the bath!
[/quote]

What else but bubbly for a bubbly lady? And who says...............?

djdigitald
03-12-2004, 17:33
How about a 9 foot tall, 9 foot wide Sponge Bob???? ;)

MaggieAllan
03-12-2004, 17:46
That might be too blatently cheeky[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 18:22
Sponge Bob, what is he all about? They make money out of anything these days!

MaggieAllan
03-12-2004, 18:47
He's a childrens cartoon character...film on release in the US...when I saw the trailer over here it looked like it might be fun for adults as well.

Cruella DeVilla
03-12-2004, 18:54
I know who he is but I cannot understand a talking sponge as a cartoon! Call my an old Cynic![confused]

CarolAnn
03-12-2004, 21:00
How about sending a video of you and your gang, perhaps singing or doing a small silly play, something for fun & something that will remind the family of what great company you can be( bit of gap bridging sort of thing?) Buying gifts can be real difficult,(I don't even know what to buy my OWN 12 yr old!!!!) unless you come up with something you KNOW they will love ( tickets for a Broadway show maybe??) It's tricky! Good Luck:)
BTW - If anyone wants to know what I would like, an opportunity to meet David Beckham is TOP of my list!!;);)(Carol, 43 and three quarters)

Nostromo
05-12-2004, 00:38
MMMM.....What would I like as I am around the same age and like a bit of glamour. Chanel Makeup is lovely, maybe too intimate though, or a nice silk scarf, earrings or a bangle maybe, gold of course, always a winner! Maybe a pair of designer sunglasses or a designer belt, maybe a nice glamourous evening bag. Clothing would be too intimate I think. (You could buy your male friend a wooly pully though - the most garish one you could find)!
[/quote]

CDV, I could not find Lulu Guiness that you suggested in Cripps Causeway. When I asked about it in the local perfume shop, the guy looked at me as though I had sprouted another head! Meanwhile, The Moschino set arrived from Harrods this morning and I'll send that one I guess. Thanks for your help.:)

Cruella DeVilla
05-12-2004, 02:48
No probs, that was quick delivery! Not everyone knows lulu Guiness but she is big in the handbag world mainly. Did you find a jumper;)

Nostromo
05-12-2004, 02:57
No probs, that was quick delivery! Not everyone knows lulu Guiness but she is big in the handbag world mainly. Did you find a jumper;)
[/quote]

Delivery: I had requested 'next day delivery' from Harrods for the telephone order. They charged an additional £15 for the service, but that's OK cos I want this parcel to be on its way by Monday to reach NY asap.

As for the jumper, I could not find one garish enough. So I settled for a loud, painted tie and matching cufflinks that Liberace would probably have recoiled from. Should be interesting when they receive the gifts. I wish I could be around to see their expressions.

I also arranged some nice things to be gift parceled for the kids via Amazon USA.

Thanks again for your help CDV. Looks like you have a GSOH after my own heart.;);)

KJH
05-12-2004, 04:36
NOstromo.

Back on the prozac please....:D

Cruella DeVilla
05-12-2004, 16:18
Sounds like a good mixture of pressies, now go find something extra nice for your wife!

Nostromo
05-12-2004, 17:50
Sounds like a good mixture of pressies, now go find something extra nice for your wife!
[/quote]

Should I? After all, she's got me! ;);)[laugh]

Cruella DeVilla
06-12-2004, 01:08
[/quote]

Should I? After all, she's got me! ;);)[laugh]
[/quote]

You better buy her something twice as nice then;)