PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection

julieanne
30-11-2004, 14:47
I don't have a broadband connection [msncry] problems getting a phone socket close enough to my pc.

Wondered if anyone has used something called 'on speed' that I saw advertised in my sunday newspaper? It it supposed to speed up downloads etc

Anyone heard of it - I'd be grateful for any opinions anyone has
:)

blott
30-11-2004, 15:20
You can easily put in another phone socket yourself using an extension cable or, if you want a proper one, get BT to do one for you - it doesn't cost the earth and broadband is so much better than any dial up.

Mo Green
30-11-2004, 15:32
Hi Julie
Unfortunately we do not have Broadband in our area yet so we signed on for 'Onspeed' a couple of weeks ago. It is definitely faster especially for text as it compresses the data being down-loaded. According to the stats. I can access I am saving 10% on down-load time on text. It seems slow where there are a lot of photographs or graphics on a page eg with a list of villas and then the photographs are slightly out of focus. It is easy to switch the 'Onspeed' on and off if I particularly want to look at a photograph.
I am not sure if we will actually save much money by having it but for a few pence a day it is saving a lot of frustration.

wrpac00
30-11-2004, 20:09
Julie,

Is that because you don't have broadband in your area yet?

If not you can go for a wireless solution, that's what I have got. The wireless modem is by the phone downstairs and I run 2 PC's upstairs and a laptop (anywhere) by using wireless adaptors.

julieanne
30-11-2004, 20:41
Thanks for the replies.

We do have broadband in our area and I had thought about using an extension cable as Blott suggested. But having just had new decoration and carpets thought I might make a mess. I know I should have had the sense to have the cable ready and do it before the carpets were down - but I didn't [msnembarrased] [msnembarrased] [msnembarrased]

Will look at the wireless option - sounds ideal. I'll keep the 'onspeed' option on hold for now.

Thanks

[msnsmile2]

blott
30-11-2004, 22:03
If you get BT to do your cabling, you can run it around the outside of the house - that's what we did!

amy
01-12-2004, 00:16
If you chose to do it yourself it is quite simple, buy the appropriate length of indoor telephone wire. Route the wire from main socket to where you want the new one,hiding it under the carpet. Screw a new box to the wall.There are lots of smaller wires inside the cable you have bought but you only need 2 of them, 3 if you wish to use a phone and make the ring work. You connect pin 2 from the main box to pin 2 of the remote new box.Then pin 5 to pin 5 and the internet will work. If you want to use the ringer do the same with pin 3, leave all the rest as they are not required.
I did one of us and did as Blott surgested,putting an hole though to the outside of the house and ran it back in upstairs then I could hide all my wireless broadband upsatairs in one of the spare rooms out of sight.

It is very easy believe me..........or I would not have done it.

Any Probs get in touch

Paul