PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas - Statues and Fountains

Snapper
30-11-2004, 07:23
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032042_DSC_0421.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032059_DSC_0466.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032114_DSC_0616.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032135_DSC_0634.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/200411303224_DSC_0645.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032218_DSC_0650.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004113032236_DSC_0672.jpg

Snapper
30-11-2004, 07:24
Brought to you from a great little bar called Eddie McStiffs in Moab that now has wireless internet. Isn't technology wonderful. What a great excuse to camp down for the night over a few beers.

LiesaAnna
30-11-2004, 12:04
dont know what to say Steve!

they are absolutely lovely!!!!!!!!!!

you are just sooooooo good! Thankyou!!!!!

MaggieAllan
30-11-2004, 12:07
Thanks Steve

This is where we are heading for our 25th anniversary (2009), doing an west coastish thing.

Lynnes
30-11-2004, 13:05
Cheers Steve

Your pics have brought back so many good memories to us - did you stay to see the Atlantis show as the first statues disappeared below the fire?

SunLover
30-11-2004, 17:15
Again excellent shots.

Brought back many happy memories of our visit 2 years back. Can't wait to go again [:P]

Mo Green
30-11-2004, 19:01
Super photos Steve - brought back many happy memories of our trip nearly 2 years ago.

Southsider
30-11-2004, 20:20
Great photos, we stayed in the MGM Grand, last May, make sure and go there to see the Lion Enclosure, they also do a great all you can eat Dinner Buffet for $30

Tricia

Nostromo
30-11-2004, 20:30
Are the first 3 from Caesar's Palace?

Snapper
30-11-2004, 20:36
I should have said Nostromo - the first two are in the Forum shops in Caesar's Palace. The third is one of the statues outside the Monte Carlo. 4 is the strip. 5 and 6 are the Bellagio fountains (I've been trying for years to photograph these!!) and the last one is part of the new entrance to the Forum shops next to the Mirage.

Nostromo
30-11-2004, 20:41
Thanks, Steve. I love Caesar's Palace - it is still the best hotel in LV. I would prefer to stay there -or at The Mirage or Rio. Those places are far livelier than the uppity Bellagio and Venetian (which are really more for high rollin' business types).

Ray&Sarah
30-11-2004, 21:50
Great pics Steve, I can hear the music and see those fountains dancing now! It was one of those do not miss it experiences, wonderful.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
30-11-2004, 22:55
Been to Eddie McStiffs Steve......great ribs[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Brought to you from a great little bar called Eddie McStiffs in Moab that now has wireless internet. Isn't technology wonderful. What a great excuse to camp down for the night over a few beers.
[/quote]

Magical Dreams
01-12-2004, 01:18
Stuck for words!!

Breath taking Steve!!

Nostromo
01-12-2004, 10:44
Steve, the two Bellagio pictures are interesting by comparison. How did you get rid of the colour cast in the second one (or is it simply the lighting effect)?

Kissyme
01-12-2004, 16:21
Blinking lovely thats wot what they are.
Thanks keep em comin

amy
01-12-2004, 16:45
Great photos Steve,you can nearly hear the music when looking at the fountain pics[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
01-12-2004, 22:51
Oh stop it Steve, I love Vegas especially Casears palace and the Neptune show!! Hope you had a great trip and hopefully catch up week of the 13th.

Epic
02-12-2004, 00:53
Absolutly brill pics.the view of vegas is great.we are definatly going to try and get there asap but it means missing out on florida for a year!!!dont know what to do lol[msnscared]

chunkichik
02-12-2004, 03:12
Great pics Steve!!!! are you going to do the slingshot up on the Stratosphere? [sick]

Snapper
02-12-2004, 09:36
Good question about the colours Nostromo. They were both exactly the same exposure so I think it's the D70 adjusting the white balance. The second shot has more white for it to base the white balance metering off so I think it did a better job.

I've been trying to photograph those fountains for years. In fact I'm sure I have a couple of shots somewhere of the engineers in boats adjusting all the heads when they were first being tested. I bet I have two or three hundred shots of the fountains over the years and I still don't think I've got the shot I'm looking for. I might use them as an excuse to invest in a perspective correction lens. The other idea I want to try is to use a polarising filter in the hope it will get rid of some of the 'scatter' that muddles up the water.

I find the fountains very much like Zion Canyon. They're both a photographer's dream and nightmare both at the same time.

Snapper
02-12-2004, 09:40
Eddie's has changed since I was last there Liz. They've built an enclosure around that lovely patio area they had out back. I think (personally) it's a bit of a step backwards. I liked it more the way it used to be. There was nothing better than hanging out on the patio with a McStiff's microbrew and a huge bowl of nachos after hiking up to Delicate Arch for the sunset.

The beer and cheese soup at the brewery is still to die for as well.

Nostromo
02-12-2004, 11:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Good question about the colours Nostromo. They were both exactly the same exposure so I think it's the D70 adjusting the white balance. The second shot has more white for it to base the white balance metering off so I think it did a better job.
[/quote]

Interesting. The fountains are slightly different in the two pics though, with the water columns being joined in the middle in the second - 'whiter' - photo. I wonder if you had set the D70 to Spot metering off the centre of the frame which might explain the difference? In that case, could it have read off the hotel building in the first pic and the water columns in the second?

Magical Dreams
05-12-2004, 14:16
Is the 4th Picture Blackpool Steve??

[msncool]

They look more and more beautiful the more you look at them.

They're like post card photos!

Nostromo
05-12-2004, 14:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pontelad

[/quote]

C'mon, it's a joke, isn't it? Blackpool?? The 4th Pic is one view of the Las Vegas 'Strip' with the mock Eiffel Tower of the Paris Resort in the background.

Snapper
05-12-2004, 18:59
They're both exactly the same exposure Nostromo; 1/20s at f/3.5 (at ISO 400). Everything automatic on the camera was switched off. The exposure was set manually, focused manually (almost a lost skill these days), ISO'd manually. The only thing I didn't have switched off was the white balance. I think you're right in that it's the different amount of water in the second shot that has white'nd it up a bit. It's an execllent excuse to go back next year and experiment a bit more though isn't it?

Andy - you're absolutely right. It's all been a bit of a con. I've been shivering in Blackpool all this time. The local news about a year or two ago was all about some plan that was being hatched to turn Blackpool into a Las Vegas equivalent. Somehow I don't think it's gonna happen.

Your last comment BTW that the photos improve with viewing is probably one of the nicest things you can say. That's the point where photography goes from being just a good photo to a piece of art.

Strangely enough that shot of the strip that you mention started off as my least favourite of the ones I posted but it has grown on me more and more and now I quite like it. I did a couple of arty ones of the Eifel tower and Ballys hotel - I'll dig them out and post them over this morning's coffee.

Snapper
05-12-2004, 19:19
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004125151918_DSC_0640.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004125151941_DSC_0655.jpg

Snapper
05-12-2004, 19:22
The tower works better at it's full resolution as you can see all the details of the steel and things.

Both of these were taken from the spot where I photographed the fountains. Just shows what you can miss if you don't take a few minutes to look around and appreciate things.

Magical Dreams
06-12-2004, 20:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

[/quote]

C'mon, it's a joke, isn't it? Blackpool?? The 4th Pic is one view of the Las Vegas 'Strip' with the mock Eiffel Tower of the Paris Resort in the background.
[/quote]

I think the sense of humour went by the by on this one Nostromo

Of course I was kidding!!

The tower looks spectacular!
Keep up the good work Steve!

Nostromo
06-12-2004, 20:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by pontelad[/iI think the sense of humour went by the by on this one Nostromo

Of course I was kidding!!

The tower looks spectacular!
Keep up the good work Steve!
[/quote]

Yes, Steve told me that this is a uniquely 'Northern' joke, a bit too high for a Southerner like me. So, not surprising that it went right over my head!

Magical Dreams
07-12-2004, 23:56
All good fun Nostromo!!

Blackpool tower is a Rusty Red!!

Eiffel is impressive, but this one takes the biscuit! (Not B/pool)

The views must be breath taking from the top!
[grouphug]

Nostromo
08-12-2004, 00:25

Eiffel is impressive, but this one takes the biscuit!
The views must be breath taking from the top!
[grouphug]
[/quote]

But can you get to the top? I have not been inside the Paris resort and so don't know. (I have been to the top of the real thing, of course)

Magical Dreams
08-12-2004, 02:04
Blackpool you can get to ALMOST the top

Not sure about Paris Eiffel

I would have thought that this one would have been a MUST!!

Can't we send Steve up??

[msnwink]

Snapper
08-12-2004, 03:36
Not now I'm back in Florida but I'll see what I can do next time I'm out west. I imagine there are some great views of the strip from up there. I think there is a restaurant as well.

Nostromo
08-12-2004, 13:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Not now I'm back in Florida but I'll see what I can do next time I'm out west. I imagine there are some great views of the strip from up there. I think there is a restaurant as well.
[/quote]

I have heard that some of the best panoramic views of the LV Strip are from off-strip locations, notably from the balconies of the Rio Palace Resort. If you have time during your next LV visit, Steve, see if you can get those pics.

Snapper
08-12-2004, 19:02
The top floor of the airport carpark has a great view as well; and depending on which runway is active you can sometimes get the planes taking off across the front of the hotels. It's a photo I have in my head to try to take once the conditions are right. Early morning so that everything is lit but you can still see the lights on the hotels and resorts. Reasonably long lens, and plane taking off across the front of the pyramid. A reasonably long lens will compress the persepective and make it look quite surreal I think - as though it couldn't be a real photograph and must have been manipulated.