PDA

View Full Version : Visa/Mastercard Scam

Mo Green
29-11-2004, 21:16
Just been warned about this from a friend who works in a bank and says it is true, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

It works like this: Person calling says they are from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. They warn that your card shows an unusual purchase pattern and are calling to verify it. They then ask if you purchased an item for £497.99 from (any)shop in (any town?).

When you say 'No'. The caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?' You confirm it and the caller continues that will be starting a fraud investigation but needs to verify you are in possession of your card. They then ask for the last 4 digits on the back of your card. They already know you name, address and card number and now have enough security details to make internet purchases.

Apparently someone called the real Visa security 20 minutes later and was told a purchase of £497.99 was put on their card in the last 15 minutes.

Once they have your security number they can keep charging things and you would not know until you received your statement. The real Visa security would never ask anything about your card as they already have that information.

LiesaAnna
29-11-2004, 21:44
the only thing is the bank never ask for your pin over the phone........do they?
i get asked for the mid 3 numbers or so of the number on the back

jtijani
29-11-2004, 22:23
I keep having a bank telephone me once a month or so, I have a credit card with them. They ask for my date of birth, or maiden name, e.t.c. which I refuse to tell them over the phone. The last time they called, I told the guy that I do not give my details to someone over the telephone, and that he will have to tell me why he is ringing without my verifying any details. He got very angry, saying it was for my benefit. I very calmly told him, that he was the one calling me. I dont need any information from him and if he doesnt want to tell me why he was ringing, there was nothing left to say but goodbye. He then put the phone down. That was the last time I heard from them. One has to be careful these days!