PDA

View Full Version : We have our Visa

jingleton
27-11-2004, 23:58
Just sharing my good news. Just heard that we have been given a 5 year visa. Im soooooooooooooooo excited. Just the interview now and then Florida here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Janet

linda allen
28-11-2004, 00:15
Thats great news Janet, good luck. Our close friends did the same last year, I think we see more of them now than we did when they lived in UK.
Where in Florida are you moving to?

Linda

jingleton
28-11-2004, 00:31
We are moving to Lake Mary about 5 miles from Sanford. Its a nice place and thats where the business is based. Just have to wait for our interviews now.

Janet

LiesaAnna
28-11-2004, 01:04
well done!!!!!!!

E. Cosgrove
28-11-2004, 02:06
great news Janet I know you have been waiting for some time. Good luck with the business and don,t forget all of us here on the forum when you move[msnwink]

jingleton
28-11-2004, 02:55
Thanks everyone. I wont forget you all I will keep you posted. I have some hard work to do now and when we get there. I need to sit my nursing exam, so I will be busy. We are all very excited.

Janet

KJH
28-11-2004, 04:36
Cngratulations,

What is the 'business' you are going over too? If you don't mind me being nosy[8D]

esprit
28-11-2004, 08:32
Well done, I remember the feeling. How long is the wait till your interview?

jingleton
28-11-2004, 14:52
The wait at the moment is 1 week so hopefully we will get over there for chrstmas. Our visa consultant lesley Sillitto will inform us on Monday.
We have brought a pool business which has been established for 11 years and serves lake mary and surrounding areas. Busy pool business with renovations etc website is [weebsite link edited] if anyone interested in looking.

Janet

esprit
28-11-2004, 20:55
Lake Mary is good as it will be residential pools. You can charge a lot more for those than you can in the Disney corridor where the low prices a man co can pass on to an owner really depresses the monthly fee a pool guy can expect. Also you will have a wider spread of customers. Hope it all goes well for you anyway.

If there is anything you would like to know about the practicalities, dont hesitate to ask, been there, bought the tee shirt, washed it and shrunk it. I know you are all euphoric now, I know I was, but it isnt easy when you first arrive so if you expect it to be difficult and not quite as you thought, you wont be disappointed. The first few weeks are spent queuing up and dealing with horrible US bureacracy along with the huddled masses. And finding out that as an immigrant you are classed along with the penniless non English speaking Mexican even though you may be educated British, with a big business and a nice balance in the bank. We found that hard as we were established professionals in the UK. It takes about a year to establish a US identity and sort everything out. It is something that has to be worked through, a sort of baptism of fire.

chrizzy100
28-11-2004, 21:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Lake Mary is good as it will be residential pools. You can charge a lot more for those than you can in the Disney corridor where the low prices a man co can pass on to an owner really depresses the monthly fee a pool guy can expect. Also you will have a wider spread of customers. Hope it all goes well for you anyway.

If there is anything you would like to know about the practicalities, dont hesitate to ask, been there, brought the tee shirt, washed it and shrunk it. I know you are all euphoric now, I know I was, but it isnt easy when you first arrive so if you expect it to be difficult and not quite as you thought, you wont be disappointed. The first few weeks are spent queuing up and dealing with horrible US bureacracy along with the huddled masses. And finding out that as an immigrant you are classed along with the penniless non English speaking Mexican even though you may be educated British, with a big business and a nice balance in the bank. We found that hard as we were established professionals in the UK. It takes about a year to establish a US identity and sort everything out. It is something that has to be worked through, a sort of baptism of fire.
[/quote]

I remember telling my son we were moving to the USA and the word immigrant came up......he looked at me as if I were mad.....mum we can't be immigrants cus we're British.......[msneek]

esprit
28-11-2004, 22:02
LOL. At least you are an immigrant, Chrizzy, and not a non resident alien, I am still supposedly a resident of the UK!!

chrizzy100
28-11-2004, 22:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
LOL. At least you are an immigrant, Chrizzy, and not a non resident alien, I am still supposedly a resident of the UK!!
[/quote]

He really put his foot down about the move for a while.....I blame the history channel.....they were showing a program at the time about NewYork City......and how the immigrants lived there.....once he saw that we were not going to live in a tenement block and that he would not have to be a gang of one Brit......he was a lot happier.....

jingleton
28-11-2004, 23:54
Thanks for all support I think we will need it. We have a 20 year daughter who spent Sat evening crying as all her mates kept texting and saying how much they would miss her!! really helped!! and I spent Sat evening crying because I was so happy and releived!!! My husband really enjoyed his Sat night in!!!
Holly is really going to be the one who will miss everyone, its difficult being 20 and moving to a different country, but hopefully she will meet others her age.

Janet

esprit
29-11-2004, 05:58
It is going to be difficult for her, 20 is a weird age to go. Dont want to be a downer on you as I know you are really ecstatic at the moment but I know a nunber of people who have brought late teens with them who didnt stay long term. The life here for young people was just too different for them to adjust to. At 17 I think my son came just in time. Please dont think I am being a kill joy, I really do hope it works out ok for you.
I am guessing she is 50% owner so on her own E2 as otherwise she wouldnt be here too long. That situation seriously restricts what she can do in her future as she will never be able to work apart from in your business and that in itself is socially restrictive. My son has made good made friends here but only through his one year at high school. I would suggest she enrolls at college and goes to some evening classes so she meets people her own age though you will have to wait until you have been here one year as the out of state college rates are very expensive. The rates come down if you can prove one year residence in Florida,

chrizzy100
29-11-2004, 06:06
I have to agree with Julie my daughter was 18 going on 19 and hated every minute of her first 4 years here.....she went back to England last year and found it was not the same as she remembered it......so was happy to come home to the USA...and shes been fine ever since.....my 16 year old son is an American now...he would never go back to the UK....

jingleton
29-11-2004, 17:49
Yes Julie she is 50% in business, but hope as you said to go to college part time and do a business managment course. She also has a friend who has lived in Florida for 17 years he is 23 and she has just been emailing a guy of 21 that she has met on this forum who only moved out in September so hopefully she will give it a good go. She says she will. We are hoping to open a beauty saloon for her in 1/2 years time which is what she is qualified to do.

We have our interview at the embassy on Friday at 8.15 in morning. So any tips for that would be greatly appreciated.

Janet