PDA

View Full Version : 1st time driving In US experience

AussieAnn
27-11-2004, 01:13
Hi All,
I have been reading all the info and tips for quite a while - at last it is time to go - Wed.
DH has just informed me that I need to drive for 3 days 'cos he has a business conference he needs to attend. I am feeling very nervous [msnscared] Any tips would be welcome as well as any stories of how you managed first time.

Nostromo
27-11-2004, 01:18
No problemo. When I first got into a car in the USA in 1991, it was at Denver airport and I had never before driven on the 'wrong' side of the road anywhere. Still, it was ridiculously easy. The only thing you have to remember is to stick to the speed limit and get into the correct lanes for turning. Your leg controls are in the same position as in the UK and you'll get used to the other controls quickly. Automatic gear shift helps a lot, of course.

For the most part, US drivers are more road courteous than their UK counterparts. You seldom get harassed as you do over here.

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 01:22
sorry felt to nervous to drive, but hubby said he found it very easy, much easier then he expected!
did you say you were leaving on wednesday? we are to!!!!!! Gatwick 11.15

Nostromo
27-11-2004, 01:24
AA, I have DMed you a link. If it is Blotted out, let me know and I'll e-mail you if you give me the address.:)

AussieAnn
27-11-2004, 01:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
sorry felt to nervous to drive, but hubby said he found it very easy, much easier then he expected!
[/quote]

Yes Wednesday is the 'big' day in our household too!! But, we are leaving from Melbourne, Australia 12:20

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 01:33
doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why didnt i read that[msnembarrased]

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 01:35
[/quote]

Yes Wednesday is the 'big' day in our household too!! But, we are leaving from Melbourne, Australia 12:20
[/quote]

well i hope your going to have as great a time as we are!!!!!!!
where abouts are you going to and staying?

AussieAnn
27-11-2004, 01:48

[/quote

well i hope your going to have as great a time as we are!!!!!!!
where abouts are you going to and staying?
[/quote]

To Orlando to visit the Mouse and do the theme park thing - we are staying at Orange Lake Country Club

wiljohn
27-11-2004, 02:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
US drivers are more road courteous than their UK counterparts. You seldom get harassed as you do over here.
[/quote]

That's certainly true when it comes to pedestrians,car drivers don't mind giving way to persons on foot,in parking lots, crossings etc,and it's expected,not like in the UK,drivers here would sooner run you over rather than give way.

chrizzy100
27-11-2004, 02:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AussieAnn
[/quote]

[/quote]

My best friend lives in Melbourne.......:D

benfilo
27-11-2004, 02:37
Hi AussieAnne,
I aggree you shouldn't have any problems driving over there, and should soon get used to it. However I think they have the same proportion of bad drivers as over here, I lost count of the times I was tailgated, cut up etc. One guy pulled into our lane when his boot was level with our bonnet, god knows how I avoided him.
And we caught a bus to Busch, the driver spent most of the time on his mobile or talking to his co driver.
Also they seem to think, just as in this country, that when the traffic is slow and building up that frequent lane changes will speed things up.
I haven't said these things to alarm, you will find it easy have a wonderful trip

benfilo

Nostromo
27-11-2004, 13:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by benfilo
Hi AussieAnne,
However I think they have the same proportion of bad drivers as over here
benfilo
[/quote]

I realise that you have had some unfortunate experiences before Benfilo, but I find it hard to accept the above statement. I have driven very extensively in the USA for the past 13 years, including cities like New York, Denver, San Francisco etc. The only place i found US drivers nearly as bad as their UK counterparts (and occasionally even worse) is in and around LA. Otherwise, I felt very safe and comfortable driving in the US, whether in a city or in the countryside. A 350-mile day trip in the USA is usually relaxing to the point of anticipation; but each time I have to make the 81-mile trip from Wootton Bassett to London, my blood pressure goes up a notch or three.

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 13:06
i have read on a news channel that colonial drive has a terrible record for deaths from dangerous driving, statistics there has been so many in such a short time, i think they are putting some kind of safety measures in down there, so if you use it and i think its a popular road from what i read BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mo Green
27-11-2004, 13:27
Nostromo, If, like me, you are used to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon Florida is so easy for driving.

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 13:34
AussieAnn, love your avatar!!!!!!!:D

benfilo
28-11-2004, 02:42
hi Nostromo,
the point I was trying make was,that while I do aggree it is easy to drive there you can't be complacent.I'll even admit that some of those drivers I mentioned were brits (I've made a few mistakes myself there).
We drove up from Miami one up the turnpike and couldn't believe how quiet it was, it's the built up places that are the worst the 192 a month ago springs to mind. perhaps thats why Britain seems worse to some people, it's a lot more built up in relation to it's size.
Where I live it's not too bad so perhaps you see more instances of rage than me, it didn't help that we went in the school hols i've never seen it so busy. I've had 6 trips there so far and have seen at least a couple of crashes on each trip. I mean after the event,I've only wittnessed one, which judgeing by the fact that he turned off sandlake onto interational into oncoming traffic I'd say he was a brit ( does anyone remember doing that about 14 years ago[msnembarrased])
Sorry to waffle on but what I'm trying to say is that in the 18 weeks Iv'e spent there I've seen about as many crashed vehicles, been tailgated and cut up a number of times,not realy much different to the same time period back home.
Just my opinions and i'm not asking anyone to accept them. Having said that I wouldn't hesitate to drive or try to put anyone off

i promise not to do such a long posting again[msneek]

benfilo

ps

KJH
28-11-2004, 03:41
The only thing I've really noticed is the way they weave in and out of the lanes, as long as you are aware of whats going on around you, there should not be any probs.

Just in case you are thinking, 'I'm always aware' you will be suprised at how often you will be trying to take in the scenery and loooking for exits ect. So much to take up your attention.

I hate driving, but love it in the USA.:D

Kaz

Nostromo
28-11-2004, 13:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
Nostromo, If, like me, you are used to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon Florida is so easy for driving.
[/quote]

I am very used to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon (being from Wootton Bassett), but for the life of me I cannot figure out how this experience would help one in Florida - where there are no roundabouts, Magic or otherwise. Am I missing something?[confused][confused]

blott
28-11-2004, 16:04
But there are a few Nostromo! On West Oak Street. ;)

Ray&Sarah
28-11-2004, 16:19
I have never driven in Florida before but am planning to do so when we visit in February next year, when it will be just Ray and myself. I won't have to put up with the comic double act of my sons commenting on my driving then.[msnwink]:D

Mo Green
28-11-2004, 17:32
[/quote]

I am very used to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon (being from Wootton Bassett), but for the life of me I cannot figure out how this experience would help one in Florida - where there are no roundabouts, Magic or otherwise. Am I missing something?[confused][confused]
[/quote]

It was a joke Nostromo. Living in Wiltshire I think that anyone who can tackle the Magic Roundabout, particularly in rush hour, with cars coming from all angles can tackle anything in the USA [msnsmile2]

Nostromo
28-11-2004, 23:09

[i]
It was a joke Nostromo. Living in Wiltshire I think that anyone who can tackle the Magic Roundabout, particularly in rush hour, with cars coming from all angles can tackle anything in the USA [msnsmile2]

Sorry, I missed that one. But I agree with you. We used to live in Birmingham during that city's bad old days in the 1980s. Going in and out of all those overpasses and underpasses used to make me dizzy and that was probably one of the reasons I found driving in the US so easy.

E. Cosgrove
29-11-2004, 11:41
Mo, I lived in Swindon for 18 months before I would tackle the magic roundabout, and I travelled to the US 2 and 3 times a year for 15 years before I would get behind the wheel of the car on anything other than a long straight road. Now they are both second nature ( well almost as far as the US driving is cocerned) I guess what I am trying to say to anyone is try it you will probably surprise yourself!![msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mo Green
29-11-2004, 16:43
I agree people should give driving in Florida a go Liz. Easy to say when I love driving anyway and do most of my driving in Florida on the Gulf Coast where it is much quieter than the Orlando area but it is useful in case you have an emergency. Cliff managed to put his back out on one of the rides (it was the end of our last day in the park and the children talked him into going on yet one more ride). He could barely move next morning and we were flying home. I was really greatful I was use to driving over there and not having to do it under stress.