PDA

View Full Version : UK credit cards

keith-jacqui
26-11-2004, 20:02
Can anyone tell me whether we can transfer our UK credit cards out here.

Jacqui

Magical Dreams
26-11-2004, 20:27
What do you mean by transfer ??

Usually credit cards are issued only to the country that they originate from!!!

Amex may be different!!

jolliffee
26-11-2004, 20:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by keith-jacqui
Can anyone tell me whether we can transfer our UK credit cards out here.

Jacqui
[/quote]
I transfered my amex when I moved to the US but Visa & Mastercard you get from your bank so stay with that bank.

keith-jacqui
27-11-2004, 08:10
I have just moved over here and still have my UK credit card bills going to my UK address, didnt know if they would send the bill over here or not?

Jacqui

Nostromo
27-11-2004, 12:42
Do the USA now have a 'Chip & Pin' system like us and if they do, will our UK pin codes work?

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 12:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Do the USA now have a 'Chip & Pin' system like us and if they do, will our UK pin codes work?
[/quote]

this is a good question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
watching this space, and wondering why didnt i ask at the bank?

caroline
27-11-2004, 12:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

Can't answer your question Nostromo, however my cashpoint pin worked fine so I can't see any reason why the chip and pin wouldn't.

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 12:51
jus thought, am sure when my new card came and i read the booklet it said it was worldwide, chip n pin.....

Magical Dreams
27-11-2004, 13:07
They do have a chip and pin system, I can remember a guy using a pin for his card a couple of years ago, so as usual we are behind the times.

Not sure if our pins will work over there.

But as they are all controlled by computers, I can't see why not!!

Katys Grandad
27-11-2004, 13:09
Used mine yesterday more times than I should - well it was the day after Thanksgiving. Chip 'n' pin worked fine. I think it has been in the USA for some time.

Mo Green
27-11-2004, 13:15
Yes have been using my pin on the credit card for sometime in the USA.

blott
27-11-2004, 14:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by keith-jacqui
I have just moved over here and still have my UK credit card bills going to my UK address, didnt know if they would send the bill over here or not?

Jacqui[/quote]I think you'll find that they're completely separate in the US from the UK. As Jolliffe said, you can transfer your Am Ex if you've been with them for a year or more but not the others.

Do the cards you have use online payments? If so, it doesn't matter where the bill goes to, you can still pay it wherever you are as long as you have funds in the right currency. Barclaycard have an online payment facility but they charge 2.75% for purchases made abroad (as you're in the US, yours will be).

DarrenShort
27-11-2004, 18:30
Not sure about cards like Capital 1 though, as these are issued in both UK and US, so you may be able to transfer these to a US address.

esprit
27-11-2004, 20:30
Amex can be transferred. Alliance and Leicester and NatWest send our bills to the US but we found that problematic with the slowness of the mail as by the time we got them and paid them, we got a late charge. So we now pay the minimum off both by direct debit. They often query the card use if you use them in the US so you have to keep reminding them you are here. You would think they had a permainent note on the computer but seemingly it expires. I was once caught out with a whole trolley full of shopping in WalMart and a very red face. We now use US cards for most things.

SunLover
27-11-2004, 20:50
Chip and Pin will definitely work in the US, even if it is registered in another country. We use ours all the time.

keith-jacqui
28-11-2004, 02:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DarrenShort
Not sure about cards like Capital 1 though, as these are issued in both UK and US, so you may be able to transfer these to a US address.

[/quote]

We tried today to get our CitiBank card changed over from UK to USA.They were not a bit helpful at all, even said that I would have to close the account here, then re-apply in the US. Havent tried the Capiltal One card yet!!

Jacqui

jingleton
29-11-2004, 20:53
Weve got a barclaycard and they said that we can transfer it over to florida with us, but I'm going to check with them again, and will let you know.
Janet