PDA

View Full Version : I-Pods

sully62
26-11-2004, 02:32
both our girls want i-pods for christmas, do you need an apple mac computer to download the music from or transfer from

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-11-2004, 02:36
No - the iTunes software you need to do it runs on Windows too. I use it here all the time.

Beverley
26-11-2004, 02:38
Hi Tony,

No you don't. The i-pod will come with a cd which gives you i-tunes (I think), our boys download from various sources.

sully62
26-11-2004, 02:42
thanks, more expense[msncry]

shenon
26-11-2004, 03:00
john when you say you use it all the time,i worry about downloading off the net because of viruses...do you get this problem or am i being nieve:)

Magical Dreams
26-11-2004, 13:10
If you have Anti-Virus software running, this should check all downloads!!

It should not cause you problems!!

(UNLESS you don't have anit-virus software)

[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-11-2004, 14:00
To be honest I do not download music off the net. I have my whole CD collection (in fact every CD the whole family owns) on the Ipod and thus can take my whole CD collection anywhere I go and listen to any song I like instantly, rather than hunting for the CD box, putting the CD in the player etc etc.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by shenon
john when you say you use it all the time,i worry about downloading off the net because of viruses...do you get this problem or am i being nieve:)
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
26-11-2004, 14:57
I was thinking of getting my son one for Christmas, whats the difference between an I pod and an MP3 player and can anyone recommend a good one.

Y
26-11-2004, 17:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I was thinking of getting my son one for Christmas, whats the difference between an I pod and an MP3 player and can anyone recommend a good one.
[/quote]
Liz
I'm so glad you asked this question as my daughter wants an mp3 player for Christmas and I have no idea of the difference, that is if there is a difference.[msnembarrased]

LiesaAnna
26-11-2004, 17:18
Beat this then !!you wont be surprised really!
i dont know what an i-pod is!!!!!!!!!!

jolliffee
26-11-2004, 17:46
What is an iPod & What is MP3.
MP3 is a compression format, used to compress music (plus other stuff) into a much smaller space than that occupied by a normal CD. It is used to download tracks from the net but can be created on a PC by copying CD tracks into MP3 format.

Here is a definition of MP3 :- A compressed audio format that is popular for downloading across the internet and for use with memory-based audio players. Files may be recorded on CD-R or CD-RW media for playback in compatible DVD players, audio CD players, and CD-ROM drives. Files are usually named as "*.mp3". Sound quality varies as a function of the recording/encoding bit rate. In our opinion, anything recorded with less than 128 kbps data rate will sound degraded. For a high fidelity home audio system, we would recommend MP3s encoded at no less than 256 kbps data rate. Anything less would mean too much compression was used at the cost of sound fidelity. See Windows Media Audio (WMA)

An iPod is an MP3 player made by Apple Computers, this like many others allows files in MP3 format to be loaded into it and be played. This means it can decode the compressed MP3 files and make them sound normal. Because the iPod has a hard disk it has a massive amount of storage space & the big one holds something like 10,000 songs or music files. Also it is the one to be seen with so costs a lot. There are two versions a physically big one weighing about 5 oz and a physically little one weighing about 3oz that can hold about a 1000 songs or music. Battery lasts about 8 hours between charges

Some manufactures use other compression formats in their players but most can convert MP3 to their own format

Hope this helps a little when speaking with the little ones that seem to know this stuff from birth.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
26-11-2004, 18:03
Thanx Dave for explaining that!
now i know what thyre all on about, i am not gadget mad in our house, Pc's is as far as it goes!!
yeh thanks x

27-11-2004, 11:58
My hubby is techno mad therefore we ALL and I mean ALL have ipods! 7 in one house how mad is that!!!!! Its great though and so are ipods but don't bother getting the mini ipod go for the 20 or 40 gig.[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 12:15
i am going to have to go to a shop and have a look at them cos i dont even know what it looks like[laugh]

KJH
27-11-2004, 15:42
Anyone got any info on the bestplace to buy, type, make etc?

Kaz[8D]

27-11-2004, 21:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i am going to have to go to a shop and have a look at them cos i dont even know what it looks like[laugh]
[/quote]

Go to the Apple Store at the Millenia Mall or log on to

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

[msnsmile]

E. Cosgrove
28-11-2004, 01:18
This technophobe thanks you for the information Dave.Where in the UK is the best place to buy one?

LiesaAnna
28-11-2004, 01:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
[/quote]

Go to the Apple Store at the Millenia Mall or log on to

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

[msnsmile]
[/quote]

thanks [msnwink] now i know what your all on about!! i dont want or need one not a big music fan, thanks for telling me tho'[msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-12-2004, 23:13
I was at the Apple Store at the Mall At Millennia on Sunday and they were selling these great Bose headphones for the Ipod - a snip at $149 and they make your Ipod sound out of this world. A 100% improvement over the headphones that come with the Ipod (which are also very good quality).

Also great as they come in under your Customs limits if you are bringing them back to the UK [msnsmile2]

andrewmckay5
02-12-2004, 23:28
John,
do you know if they are any good for using on flights?
andrew

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-12-2004, 23:34
I certainly do - I used a Moster Splitter (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T6178LL/A) with it and myself and Sarah listened to the Ipod virtually all the way back to the UK. The Bose ones have gel seals on them so you could not hear a sound of the airplane at all [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
John,
andrew
[/quote]

andrewmckay5
03-12-2004, 00:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I certainly do - I used a Moster Splitter (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T6178LL/A) with it and myself and Sarah listened to the Ipod virtually all the way back to the UK. The Bose ones have gel seals on them so you could not hear a sound of the airplane at all [msnsmile2]

John,
andrew
[/quote]
[/quote]
Sorry John I didn't make myself clear: can they be used andare they any good to use to watch the inflight movies do you know?
andrew

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-12-2004, 01:13
Yoo mean can you use the headphones to listen to the sound on the inflight movie? If so then yes as the Virgin system uses standard headphone jacks (you can also use the Virgin supplied headphones on your Ipod too, although the sound quality if awful).
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

John,
andrew
[/quote]
[/quote]
Sorry John I didn't make myself clear: can they be used andare they any good to use to watch the inflight movies do you know?
andrew
[/quote]

andrewmckay5
03-12-2004, 01:16
Cheers John,
only problem is my wife's 3 to 4 hours in the Millemnnia Mall if i "pop" in for the headphones[msnwink]
andrew

flyrr100
09-12-2004, 00:57
Mac was having trouble selling iPods to those die-hard (missguided) Windows geeks. So now you can get an Apple iPod, with a Hewlet Packard label! HP are marketing them so Windows users will use them and not be seen as MAC users.

I'm on my sixth MAC! You'll still have to pry my MAC from my cold dead hands! (along with my Ruger P100).

florida
17-12-2004, 21:07
Bought 2 for our daughters for Christmas at the Apple store at Mall at Millenia on 'Black Friday'(26/11/04}, they were giving an additional discount of $21.00 dollars each iPod. Just received credit card statement, total for 2 was £256.38. Absoloute bargain, they are going to be so pleased, as it's virtually impossible to get them here, especially in pink.

rainyday
30-01-2005, 22:59
Is the Apple store at Millenia generally well-stocked or should I order in advance to collect there? I want to get a couple of iPod shuffles and a shuffle armband but the online delivery times are 3-4 weeks and 5-7 weeks - does this mean that the stores will be low on stocks too? Thanks.

chrissb
30-01-2005, 23:31
Hi Rainyday

when I was in the Apple store just before Christmas they had several tables stacked with I-pods and the number of people buying them was unbelievable. I would expect the store to be well stocked and you not to have any problems buying them. If in the very unlikely event of them being sold out there are several other places which sell them ie. Best Buy just opposite Florida Mall. I am sure that you will be able to get what you want.

31-01-2005, 00:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rainyday
Is the Apple store at Millenia generally well-stocked or should I order in advance to collect there? I want to get a couple of iPod shuffles and a shuffle armband but the online delivery times are 3-4 weeks and 5-7 weeks - does this mean that the stores will be low on stocks too? Thanks.
[/quote]

I think you will be fine, its a really good store, I bought 2 x 40gb ipods there last August and lots of accessories and all were in stock[msnwink]