PDA

View Full Version : My trip-day 4, Epcot

Spuddybaby
25-11-2004, 15:16
Woke up to another glorious morning today (sunday 7/11) and we were up for breakfast in our canteen at the normal time of 8am.
Now that Helens brother and his wife had arrived we didnt need to use the Disney transport as they had a people carrier.
So instead of breakfast and a bus, it was breakfast and a nice comfortable Dodge caravan, (which shouted out English tourist from a mile away!)
So we got to Epcot at about half nine, and made our way straight to Test Track, i was really wanting to do mission space first, but i was outvoted. so we wandered to test track, which was a favorite among our group, although i dont really know why, itsgood in a sense that it is different from rollercoasters and 3-d shows and such, but i do find it a bit boring to be honest. still, i wold rather be in the queue for it, than sitting here at my work desk writing about it!
Anyway, we got there and there was already a 25 minute queue for it. We werent having that as the longest we had queued so far for any rides was about 10 minutes max. So instead we decided to get a fast pass, and do mission space first instead. Ha ha, victory for me!
So over to Mission Space we went, and considering the hype of this new ride, and the fact that test track already had nearly a half hour wait i was half expecting a 30 min queue already. But, surprisingly, the queue was a feeble 5 minutes! Michaels wife Caron opted out of this one, so there was only five of us going on. We walked through the impressive queueing area, which has loads of space themed things, including a rotating space station!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/spuddybaby/200411259749_missionspace.jpg

I think this is a fantastic ride, you have to go through the obligatory Disney pre-show videos (which can get bit a tedious after the first two rides - its a pity there is no way of getting onto the ride by skipping these for experienced riders) but basically the fours of you sit in a very tight space that gets even tighter when they close the doors. when the ride starts you watch everything on a computer screen. Each person is given a specific part to play to help you land on mars, but it is nothing more involving than pressing a big yellow button when Gary Sinise says so.
The actual ride is fantastic, you really do feel some G-forces during the take off and a few other various parts, so those with motion sickness beware.
We came off and mum and dad felt a bit queasy but me, helen and her brother michael had another go. This time they come off feeling a bit rough and sick, although i was fine. They did feel a bit off for most of the day as well!
After Mission space, everyone decided that they needed a coffee to settle their stomachs, so we stopped off for a drink and a nice sit in the sunshine. Then it was off to spaceship earth and the living seas building, and i dragged everyone onto the Figment ride.
One of my must dos this trip was at Epcot just after the Figment ride. You walk out of the building through loads of digital cameras with email systems. Last time i was here i sent a picture of myself to all of my mates asking how they were enjoying work while i was on holiday.
So this time i wanted to do it again!
My friends and collegues recieved this with a 'Happy Monday Morning message'

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/spuddybaby/2004112510117_MeatEPCOT2004.jpg
and our families recived this one!
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/spuddybaby/20041125101223_UsatEPCOT2004.jpg
Then it was off to the World Showcase, which is my least favorite thing in all of Disneyworld, i just find it realy boring, except for the pub and fish and chips in England.
The weather continued to be fantastic though and i feel i got a nice tan wandering around in the sun.
considered buuying a nice cool beer but was a bit put off by the prices. In each country the average price of a beer was about $7.50 i think, which is a bit much!
So in the end we settled on walking round and back to the little mcdonalds hut for a mcflurry. which was absolutely huge!!!!

Fletch
25-11-2004, 17:53
Great report Stephen, like the photos too! Looks like everyone in your party had a great time.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Kiddie001
25-11-2004, 18:02
Stephen - was there the two weeks before you, agree almost entirely with your take on Epcot, we didnt like the worldshowcase either, and the thing my kids remember most about Epcot (apart from the free drinks in the ice station)is the walking.
We all did mission space and ended up feeling a bit odd all day as well.

Good report, feels like an age ago we were there!

cheers

Ian

LiesaAnna
25-11-2004, 20:39
good one!!!!!!
scaring me about the dodge caravan tho!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats what we got!

Spuddybaby
26-11-2004, 12:46
i wouldnt worry about it though, there are so many dodge caravans around, you'll blend in like anything!
besides, not sure if it is at all the parks, but busch gardens, there are security men who sit in a high seat above the car parks all day looking after the cars!
great job!