PDA

View Full Version : My trip-day 3, Universal

Spuddybaby
24-11-2004, 13:35
How i have been looking forward to this day!!!
Ever since i had seen the online trailers for Revenge of the Mummy i h ave been counting the minutes til we went there. i think a lot of it was due to the fact that it is a new ride, something different to do from the last time we went. And of course, Shrek 4-D.
Woke up and knocked on mum and dads door at 8am. We hadnet been to the welcome meeting to book the coaches to Universal, as helens brother and his wife were arriving this evening and they had hired a car. So we got a taxi fromour hotel. This was very cheap, only $27, so $32 with a tip. It would have been $12 each for a return trip with the Mears coaches, so the difference was only a few dollars more, and it meant we werent tied down to a set leaving time, we could leave at our leisure.
Normally wehen we go to Universal we dont eat at our canteen as there is a fantastic cafe on the left corner at the end of Citiwalk - and do you know what, i havent a clue what it is called!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/spuddybaby/2004112483240_unicafe.jpg

After another cheap but massive breakfast consisting of a chocolate chip cookie the size of a dinner plate, we walked on to universal studios. Normally we plan to go to universal studios on one day and then come back two days later to do islands of adventure. But with the amount of queueing we can generally walk round both parks in a day at this time of year. With this in mind we decided to go to universal studios first today as there were the two new rides we wanted to do, and most of the crowds were tending to head towards islands of adventure.
At the gates we had to pick up our flextickets, so after a bit of queueing and passport showing and signing here ther and everywhere we were in the park. By this time it was about 10 am, and we wanted to get on some rides! First up this time was the twister: Aftermath ride, i was hinting to go straight to the mummy, but Twister was the first port of call. We walked straight in to the screning room. I think they may have updated this a little bit, as i dont rmember it being quite as loud or getting quite as wet two years ago, but hey, that is a good thing.
Then it was onto the Mummy. You cant take any bags on the ride, but they thoughtfully provide free lockers, you can see them to the left of the picture

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/spuddybaby/2004112484530_mummy.jpg

AS sson as you enter this building the aircon really hits you, and you walk through a kind if film set. this then turns into an Egyptian tomb, where you queue around a big box with two hand prints on, which you have to press. Different things happen depending on whether you press at the same time as someone else....! Also there is a little TV screen with a kind of blue hand print on it, when you press it people in another part of the queue get a nasty surprise!!! then you move into another room, where you queue up some stairs and arund a big Egyptiian statue of a cat kneeling down, its very authentic and you could feel like you are in a real tomb. At the top of the stairs is the ride loading bay. We walked straight onto the ride the first time we rode the mummy, there was not a single person in the queue. we couldnt believe it, especially as this was universal's big new ride!
The ride is brilliant, i wont spoil it for anyone yet to experience it, suffice to say that if you a fan of the films, you will love it. and for those of you who cant stnad rollercoasters, the rollercoaster part is a bit intense.... but there are no loops of twists.
One thing i did find amusing was the attitude of the ride operators. they were all dressed up and really acting the ride up. On anotrher day we were there one of them snuck up behind mum with a big rubber scarab beetle toy and put it on her shoulder, when she turned around and saw it she jumped and screamed, much to our amusement!!!
We eventually rode this twice, or maybe even three times, i cant remember. After this we went to try the new Shrek 4-D, which i have to say is brilliant. I woul

linsan
24-11-2004, 15:37
Great report - really enjoying reading them[clap][clap][clap]. Can't wait for Mission Space!

LiesaAnna
24-11-2004, 16:12
yep have to agree great report!! love reading them!!!!
hope your going to get it finished before we leave next wednesday?[msnwink]
[clap][clap][clap]

Spuddybaby
24-11-2004, 18:11
i expect i will be finished. as we ended up going to the universal parks four times.
when we start going back to parks the reports will get shorter as i will be saying the same stuff over and over!
but will try to keep them interesting for you though!

you are so lucky to be going next week. helens brother and his wife are still out there basking in temperatures as high as 84F. very hot!
and much nicer than here

LiesaAnna
24-11-2004, 23:54
oh that makes me feel really good!!!!! thanks[msnwink]

Madabouttigger
25-11-2004, 00:27
Love the trip reports - thaks for sharing

Diane x

[msnsmile2]