PDA

View Full Version : Children in Need

MaggieAllan
19-11-2004, 20:50
Anybody doing anything???

I must admit my days of doing anything physical to help are over but I make donations if I see anyone collecting. When I was working I was up for it, done Cher and everything imaginable regarding collecting over the years. It's the only thing I miss about not working, the friendships and daily chat. It's prompted me today to ring a local volunteer group as they want helpers in the local hospital to cover a few hours in the cafe/shop.

Even though I think I'll avoid watching it on telly, there's usually nothing much else on, so will end up watching a lot of it, and if I see anything that makes me upset I'll be dialling, card in hand.

I like it when the newsreaders do a piece, usually the Jeremy Bowens etc are worth a laugh.

Hubby is out, duaghter at a sleepover birthday...only me and 17 yr old son in, and he might be going out yet.

Might be on later...join in Leisa & Lynnes thread for a chat. Baileys in hand ....perhaps speak to you later????

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-11-2004, 20:55
Oh no - not a whole evening of Terry Wogan and Gabby Roslyn - I'd happily pay money to have a more entertaining program replace them :D

I'm not knocking the good cause that Children In Need is here before anyone thinks it.

LiesaAnna
19-11-2004, 20:55
Hey Maggie, long time no speaky![msnwink]

Lauren and i were going to buy cakes at school in aid of children in need, but Lauren had a fall at school and when i picked her up she was really upset, she couldnt walk and i had to worry about how i was going to get her to the car, shes a tad heavy for carrying!
needless to say "no cakes" which is probably just as well as i am trying but not really succeeding in watching my weight before we go to you know where in 11 days........
anyway have got Lauren home, dosed her with calpol and stuck her in the bath, she has now been ordered by me to rest her ankle!!!!!!! i did panic!!!
other then that i wont be watching it on TV as i will be in here!!!!!!!!!!!![msnwink]

i love Terry Wogan and Gaby Roslyn!!!!!!!!:D

Ray&Sarah
19-11-2004, 21:03
It is a wonderful fund raising event but could really do with an overhaul and updating a bit after all these years.[msnsmile2]

Fletch
19-11-2004, 21:12
We're taking part in a fund-raising event tonight. My husband plays bass in a band and they've even persuaded me to join in tonight with some backing vocals! It's a long time since I "trod the boards" (amateur musicals years ago), so I hope nerves don't get the better of me [msnscared]. Still, it's all in a good cause, isn't it.[clap]

Southsider
19-11-2004, 21:16
Give us a wave if your on Telly, Fletch!!

Tricia

Nostromo
19-11-2004, 21:29
Every time I hear Terry Wogan's terrible grating voice, my hairs stand on their end. He sounds like one of Kraftwerk's creations. I certainly would like to help (someone was collecting in a local Nursing Home this very afternoon) but refuse to suffer Wogan's warbles in the process.

MaggieAllan
19-11-2004, 21:34
Leisa...talk to you in a bit in your thread....hope your daughter is OK, mine had a similar fall the other day, and she is wearing trousers at school now so of course next morning she had to have a plaster to stop them rubbing her wounds...Awhhhhhh! Well could I find one? She is 13 now and my cupboards were full of them whilst she was in the infants and juniors. Eventually found three, which had to cut down so nothing sticky would go on her grazes!!!

Not stopped her partying tonight though:)

Fletch, good on yer both, hope it goes well, have you got an OV tshirt to flash on telly????? This is a good cause as well;););););)

I agree with everyone else regarding the TV show, it really needs something???? But anyone doing their bit today deserves lots of support.

poet123
19-11-2004, 21:45
I work in a college and it was "torture the teacher"[msnsmile2][msnsmile2] day yesterday, lots of custard pie throwing,[clap] stalls and fancy dress. It was really quite special as it co-incided with a visit from the local special needs school and all the students were mingling with the kids, some of whom have benefitted in the past from children in need monies.
As you say the show does need a revamp but the cause is a worhty one.

MaggieAllan
19-11-2004, 21:51
Hiya Wiganer, did you get a pie aimed at you??? You know how you Wiganers like your pies[msnwink]

Was it one of the special schools under threat of closure???

bluebirds
19-11-2004, 22:27
I work in Childrens Nursery in Chippenham where i live. Today we had to go in fancy dress. The theme was 'Childrens Fairy Tale characters. Yours truly went dressed as 'Puss in Boots'. Unfortunately the local press have been in twice taking pictures. We also had a cake sale so i've bought loads of cakes. The Boyz had non school uniform day and i have had to donate to that too. I do not mind as my eldest son benefits, as his autism holiday club applys for grants to use for the kiddies. My son is definately a child not sure if he is needy tho.
On the telly prog tonight they are doing a melody from the new Mary Poppins musical. I went when it came to Bristol for a preview run Watch it the musical is something else.

MaggieAllan
19-11-2004, 22:31
Bluebirds...are your local papers online ones so we can all see your photos???

bluebirds
19-11-2004, 22:40
Hopefully not. The first photographer was a freelance it could go global!!!!!!!!!! He apparently was in Cardiff last night taking pictures of Girls Allowed and Blue. Bit of a come down doing the likes of us. The nursery do loads of stunts like this. So far this year we have dressed as fairies and done a sponsored walk. The good news is that is only 5 months to Comic Relief and that will be more dressing up. Hopefully i will win the lottery and give up work on Monday!!

LiesaAnna
19-11-2004, 23:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
We're taking part in a fund-raising event tonight. My husband plays bass in a band and they've even persuaded me to join in tonight with some backing vocals! It's a long time since I "trod the boards" (amateur musicals years ago), so I hope nerves don't get the better of me [msnscared]. Still, it's all in a good cause, isn't it.[clap]
[/quote]

go get em fletch!!!!

Nostromo
19-11-2004, 23:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
I work in Childrens Nursery in Chippenham where i live. [/quote]

You live in Chippenham? I often work there out of hours. We might even have met!

bluebirds
20-11-2004, 13:50
You never know!!!!!!! From previous threads i think you are in the medical profession???? In that case possibly[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
20-11-2004, 13:53
Sounds like it was a very fruitful night and once again they broke there record on the night, great news for all those charities out there.[msnsmile2]

Fletch
20-11-2004, 16:06
Well, we had a great time last night. I didn't forget my words and even managed to smile[msnsmile2] Apart from my husband's band, which plays covers from 60s to present day, there was a Shadows tribute band playing too. Altogether, the event raised £520.

Thanks Maggie, Tricia and Liesa for your words of encouragement!

SunLover
20-11-2004, 19:31
Wow !!! £520... that's brilliant. Well done to everyone involved :)

Nostromo
21-11-2004, 00:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
You never know!!!!!!! From previous threads i think you are in the medical profession???? In that case possibly[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Yes, I am a GP in Calne, but work out of hours at Chippenham one weekend a month. Fortunately, they have a PC with internet access there so that I can log onto OV forums "between patients" if tyou know what I mean.:)