PDA

View Full Version : Any teachers out there?

megasue
18-11-2004, 21:19
Hi, hope this is the correct place, this is my first posting and as there are so many boards on here I haven't had time to look at them all yet!! here goes ;
I am trying to get to live permanently in Florida through the teaching and a H1B visa. Has anyone gone on this route? or does anyone know how I could get this sponsorship. I know all abut the visa requirements etc. its the actual getting hired / sponsorship that I need. I have already written to 20 counties educational departments to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated,
Sue

chrizzy100
18-11-2004, 21:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by megasue
Hi, hope this is the correct place, this is my first posting and as there are so many boards on here I haven't had time to look at them all yet!! here goes ;
I am trying to get to live permanently in Florida through the teaching and a H1B visa. Has anyone gone on this route? or does anyone know how I could get this sponsorship. I know all abut the visa requirements etc. its the actual getting hired / sponsorship that I need. I have already written to 20 counties educational departments to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated,
Sue
[/quote]

I know someone on a different forum is trying the same thing.....maybe if I give you a link you can get together......

megasue
18-11-2004, 22:21
If this is the same Chrizzy (spelt differently) as on Florida days then it's me! If not, yes please that would be helpful :)

chrizzy100
18-11-2004, 22:53
If this is the same Chrizzy (spelt differently) as on Florida days then it's me! If not, yes please that would be helpful :)
[/quote]

Did I send you the link to here for rentals.......LOL!

I lost a lot of my links when I reformatted the other week....but there are other forums out there with info about moving to the USA..........I just don't have then to hand anymore.....I'll see if I still have the e-mails from any of them.....

Dorothy
19-11-2004, 02:38
Hi Sue The senior school where I work had a maths teacher leave to teach and live in Florida two years ago. The school was a private fee paying school. He was single with no ties and was able to go very quickly. He even had a interview by e mail I think.
We also had a teacher (femail) leave the same year to teach science in the US but not Florida. She got the job through an agency that advertise for overseas teachers.
Good luck with your search....Dorothy

esprit
19-11-2004, 03:03
I know someone who got a jon as a drama techer with a private performing arts school so it can be done. I have to say one way may be to come out for a few weeks and then find some schools in your desired area that do your subject and ring around, very difficult to do it by remote control.
Then comes the problem of the H1B, I heard they had all gone for 2005 and is your prospective employer going to wait that long??

Jo
20-11-2004, 01:51
If you do get out there to teach you need to be aware that the US may not recognise your qualification.

I will explain the UK system as you may encounter similar issues in the USA

The UK does not automatically give Qualified Teacher Status to overseas trained teachers ( except from the EC where we don't have a choice) A teacher from the USA, say,would have to prove that they were teaching to the required standards in the UK and had appropriate curriculum knowledge before they get QTS. Until then, assuming they can get a job , they will only be paid at the unqualifed rate - which is a very poor rate.

Schools in the UK will only employ an overseas trained teacher if they cannot find a UK qualified ones. It is the more challenging schools that emply unqualified/ overseas teachers - which may not be where you would choose to work.

Also in the UK you can only get a work permit once you have a job and then it is a lengthy process for the LEA to prove they could not fill the vacancy by any other means.

Secondary trained teachers would find it easier to find work in the UK - I strongly suspect this is the case too in the USA.

You may do better to look at individual vacancies in schools rather than go via the Education Department.

I hope you manage to make it - but it may be harder than you think.

Good Luck

flyrr100
20-11-2004, 16:49
My wife is an Ohio registered teacher. She used to teach 6th grade science. The reason she's not teaching here in Florida is the lousy pay. She'd make 42k in Ohio. The same post here in Florida pays around 24k. If you want to make a reasnable living as a teacher in the USA, live north of Tennessee!

megasue
24-11-2004, 22:08
Thanks for your replies.
A few things to think about here.
I have already had my qualifications assessed and am able to teach in Florida, but the higher amount of money in other states is something to consider. Did manage to get to one of those 'emigrate to US' days in manchester last week and got to speak to someone who does recruiting for Polk county which was quite helpful.
Thanks for your advice,
Sue

chrizzy100
24-11-2004, 22:11
Thanks for your replies.
I have already had my qualifications assessed and am able to teach in Florida, but the higher amount of money in other states is something to consider. Did manage to get to one of those 'emigrate to US' days in manchester last week and got to speak to someone who does recruiting for Polk county which was quite helpful.
Thanks for your advice,
Sue
[/quote]

Sometimes you get more money in other States.....but the cost of living is a lot highter too.........

Jo
25-11-2004, 00:26
And the sun doesn't shine so much , and you don't get a mouse for a neighbour!

chrizzy100
25-11-2004, 01:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jo
And the sun doesn't shine so much , and you don't get a mouse for a neighbour!
[/quote]

No not as a neighbour...just all his friends and family living in your basement.......[laugh][laugh]

flyrr100
27-11-2004, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Thanks for your replies.
Thanks for your advice,
Sue
[/quote]

Sometimes you get more money in other States.....but the cost of living is a lot highter too.........
[/quote]

When we moved from Ohio to Florida we thought we'd have a better/cheaper standard of living. Florida is definately not a CHEAP state to live in. There may be no state tax, but all insurance premiums are expensive. House prices are steadily creeping up, Remember we have tolls here. Yes we have hot weather, but Florida ranks way down in the number of sunny days per year! Midwest summers are the best. Winters can be a little bad though! And Florida is definately a backward state when it comes to government and social services. Remember, most Europeans have only seen the 'Disney' side of Florida.
I'm just playing devil's advocate. I know many will sing Florida's praises. I don't disagree with them. Heck, I live here and love it! Just remember, the USA has fifty ststes! All have their own good and bad points.

MTP
27-11-2004, 02:23
The other thing to remember is that if you are going to go over on the visa waiver programme to visit possible employers and call around DON'T take copies of CV's/letter of recommendation/qualifications with you as if they are picked up by immigration it will be obvious that you are travelling with the intent to find work and this is not allowed under the visa waiver programme. E-mail yourself, scan documents in and send them to yourself. You can pick them up and print them out when you are over there at places like Mailboxes Etc.

Ray9
27-11-2004, 05:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
Yes we have hot weather, but Florida ranks way down in the number of sunny days per year! Midwest summers are the best. Winters can be a little bad though! [/quote]

Arizona is No. 1, followed by California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Then Florida.

esprit
27-11-2004, 05:34
The winters are wonderful here, but the Summers, well you do get some sun but an awful lot of rain too which must depress the average as you dont get that in Nevada or Arizona. The cost of livimg isnt that cheap. It is if you want to buy a $30 DVD player or pair of jeans but the staples of life arnt cheap, things you cant live without like car and health insurance, power bills and property taxes.

flyrr100
27-11-2004, 17:49
I lived in Nevada for a time. I don't remember a cloudy day! But 120dgrs gets a little uncomfortable! I know, 'IT'S A DRY HEAT!'. It's still darn hot! But living in Vegas was an experience. Not sure I'd like to do it again! It's just too crowded.

megasue
30-11-2004, 00:48
Cheers everyone,
I must say I hadn't really thought about anywhere else, I just really want the sun all year round, its the winters here which I want to get rid of. Everyone recently seems to be saying how expensive Florida is, so might give a couple of other areas a thought as well.
Thanks for your replies:)
Sue