PDA

View Full Version : getting started in florida

ALISON TURNER
17-11-2004, 16:07
Hi my sister and myself with our families are planning to move fo florida and open an english fish and chip shop (chippy). Has anyone any views on this or can help with advice on how we go about gettin the ball rolling
thanks [clap]
alison

esprit
17-11-2004, 19:14
Always room for a good takeway. I would use one anyway. Would die for a cornish pasty!! Highway 27 south would be an ideal locarion away from Harry Ramsbottoms on 192 and an area which is booming, not just with all the vacation homes being built at present but also with Posner City being built. If you want to set one up rather than buy one, you need to do extensive research, suitable premises, availability of fish frying equipment, food hygiene standards and licensing laws, fish and vegetable wholesalers. Then do an extensive business plan with financial projections. You need to make a substantial investment for E2 visa but will need to fit out premises, buy equipment, buy a van etc. This isnt a business I would go into with no experience of chip shops I have to say....

For info on E2 visas in general, have a look at www.investorvisausa.com Ask her whether it will fly.....

flyrr100
09-12-2004, 17:20
I'd check into Florida's food handling laws. I'm not involved in the food industry, but I do know the laws on selling fresh food are very strict. That's why you won't see a British style butcher's shop in Florida. I'd suspect it's the same concerning fish. But, look into it carefully before you commit any money.
Good luck. I'll be the first customer if it works! Haddock and chips please!

Ray9
09-12-2004, 17:33
We have a fish and chip shop near us ..brit owned ...does all the groceries as well (at a price) and very nice too... nowhere near Orlando.

SunLover
09-12-2004, 18:15
Also, check out the competition, as there are one or two "all you can eat" restaurants serving fish and chips that are beginning to pop up.

esprit
09-12-2004, 20:26
They dont serve proper fish and chips though. IHOPs fish isnt bad but proper soggy ships, big and fat and dripping in dripping, nah you cant get those at an American restaurant! It is fish and fries!! Plus there is all the other stuff, curry and chips, cornish pasties, steak pies and puds, battered sausages. Mouth watering already,

KarenScott
09-12-2004, 22:32
Julie
You sound like a women who has not had a British chip for a long time .......
That is one thing that Florida can not offer - a classic chippy!
[:I]

flyrr100
09-12-2004, 22:57
Another thing to keep in mind. During the British school vacations the Kississime area is chock full of Brits. But you go there out of season there are less Brits around. Maybe a chippie isn't the way to go?
Think about, maybe, a pool service. Or a maid service. Many Americans have their houses cleaned. And there are millions of pools in Florida. My pool guy is overwhelmed.
Good luck.

E. Cosgrove
09-12-2004, 23:03
and what about mushy peas....I hate them but hubby loves them, and chips and gravy!!!<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
They dont serve proper fish and chips though. IHOPs fish isnt bad but proper soggy ships, big and fat and dripping in dripping, nah you cant get those at an American restaurant! It is fish and fries!! Plus there is all the other stuff, curry and chips, cornish pasties, steak pies and puds, battered sausages. Mouth watering already,
[/quote]

Snapper
10-12-2004, 02:16
If you can square it all off with the FDA I think you will have a queue a mile long. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. [msntongue][msntongue]

esprit
10-12-2004, 02:24
The expats here would keep you busy. Dont go pool care, boring and little money in it, you need a lot of pools to stay afloat unless you are going to do do loads and loads per day yourself, Maidcare can work, depends on the area. Only residential though, little money in either vacation home or commercial cleaning.

chrizzy100
10-12-2004, 02:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
The expats here would keep you busy. Dont go pool care, boring and little money in it, you need a lot of pools to stay afloat unless you are going to do do loads and loads per day yourself, Maidcare can work, depends on the area. Only residential though, little money in either vacation home or commercial cleaning.
[/quote]

You need a lot of pools to keep afloat....very good Julie......:D:D

esprit
10-12-2004, 03:00
LOL!!

SunLover
10-12-2004, 03:07
Hehehe !!! I was thinking that myself :D

agod
10-12-2004, 15:48
Its Friday, and on a Firday I go across to Pete's Cafe, and get Beef curry on Chips, sorry Julie, mouth watering or wot!! only half an hour to go.

Alan

esprit
10-12-2004, 18:19
You're an evil person, Alan:D Actually we did finally find a good Indian, on Turkey Lane, full of Indians so that tells you something so I am not missing the beef curry as much as I am real chips. Dont ask me for the name as I got taken there.

SunLover
10-12-2004, 19:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
You're an evil person, Alan:D Actually we did finally find a good Indian, on Turkey Lane, full of Indians so that tells you something so I am not missing the beef curry as much as I am real chips. Dont ask me for the name as I got taken there.
[/quote]

Ohhh this is excellent news.. I'd given up hope of ever finding a good Indian restaurant in Florida :D

esprit
10-12-2004, 19:09
I am meeting the person who took me there tomorrow Chris. Will try and remember to get the name.

brizzle
10-12-2004, 19:16
My wife and I really like the chips they serve at Nathans in the Airport (MCO not Sanford).
As close to British chips as you'll get over that side of the pond, all crinkly but lovely.
It's been the last thing we've eaten in the US for the last three trips...actually I lie the last thing this trip was a bag of all the Krispy Kreme varieties which we passed around in a tasting session.

And you don't need to be flying to eat there Julie [msnsmile2]

Brizzle.