PDA

View Full Version : other other places

John Rocke
16-11-2004, 00:19
I have read the topic on other parts of the US visited with interest, and thought it would be good to hear of other places, maybe in the UK ( or wherever home is) that people like to visit, if only for a weekend.

We like to get away as often as we can, and with kids at school, try to squeeze as many breaks in as possible.

We always seem to have a deposit paid on a trip to somewhere (2 already for next year)

If you have somewhere you like to get away to, that you don't want to keep secret, let us know.

j rocke

Nostromo
16-11-2004, 02:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke
I have read the topic on other parts of the US visited with interest, and thought it would be good to hear of other places, maybe in the UK ( or wherever home is) that people like to visit, if only for a weekend.

If you have somewhere you like to get away to, that you don't want to keep secret, let us know.

j rocke
[/quote]

There are plenty of places in the UK that we like to go for a short break. Our favourites are:

1. Hay-on-Wye on the Welsh border
2. Clovelly, a fishing village in Devon.
3. Matlock & the Heights of Abraham in the Midlands.
4. Coniston in the Lake District
5. Edinburgh

Fletch
16-11-2004, 02:50
Hi John

We like taking short breaks too. Our favourites are:

Oban, Scotland
Bamburgh (or anywhere on the Northumberland coast)
Bruges/Amsterdam (mini breaks from Hull)

John Rocke
16-11-2004, 03:34
We went to the Lake District last winter and climbed Scafell. We go to Snowdonia at least once a year. We went last half term, four dads with about 12 kids traipsing up Trifwn ( Welsh Mountain) and collapsing into a Youth Hostel. Great fun.
Just came back from a weekend with my lovely wife. We stayed in a carriage from the early days of The Orient Express which is part of a converted train station down in Sussex, now a bed and breakfast. Very nice.
We sent the kids to Ireland in the summer for a week to see their cousins and I flew over to bring them back, just for a day so doesn't really count does it?

We went to Florida at Easter, but I wasn't allowed to include that as holiday because we went to look for a house.

j rocke

traceya89
16-11-2004, 05:28
we have a big touring caravan and it is very very comfortable, and in the summer months we tend to go away in it most weekends. we like ripon, berwick upon tweed, york and pooley bridge near penrith in the lake district.

Kissyme
16-11-2004, 22:54
Center Parcs for us the boy`s love it. Have been to Elveden and Longleat but not Sherwood.

John Rocke
16-11-2004, 23:58
I think Brugges is a wonderful place to go, especially this time of year if you get good weather, the lead up to Christmas always seems more traditional.

We love Center Parcs as well, went to Longleat this year, God those hills!!. There are some really good ones in France, Belgium and Holland, and it is cheaper to go there at half term than the UK.

There is also a company called SunParks in Belgium which are much cheaper, not the same quality as Center Parcs but good value.

j rocke.

LiesaAnna
17-11-2004, 00:07
my life seems so boring compared to you lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have done Butlins at minehead (many times)
butlins at skegness
mablethorpe Lincolnshire
seashore at great yarmouth
wrexham north wales,

and am looking for something but i dont know what for our 25th wedding aniversary next April, we fancied a cruise, but its to dear! wanted to go to a greek isle, but not sure, so is there anywhere not to expensive not slushy, over here???????

John Rocke
17-11-2004, 00:20
Believe me, the hols and breaks are compensation for the drudge. I only get 20 days a year so I am very precise when I book, and if I can stretch a weekend out at either end or better still both, we get on line for a deal. When we go to North Wales we go up after work on Friday, maybe creep away a couple of hours early, and get back to London about 8-9pm Sunday evening. Long trip but well worth it.

We went to Butlins at Boggie when the kids were small, but they grew out of it fairly early on.

john rocke

LiesaAnna
17-11-2004, 01:41
bet you said Thank God eh John?
i know i did![msnwink]

sometimes wonder after going to Florida, what did we see in Butlins, but i guess its good for when the kids are small, cos its not cheap!

emm
17-11-2004, 03:15
Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are beautiful areas.

MTP
18-11-2004, 05:02
I guess we are the opposite from a lot of people. We live in a very rural area and love getting away to it all!! Love trips to any city, especially Cardiff and London, Glasgow is okay - especially as we have family to babysit.

Snapper
18-11-2004, 07:13
I'm very partial to a bit of Scotland whenever there's a chance. Just love the Highlands, especially the Fort William to Inverness drive around Loch Ness. Urquhart Castle is fantastic, especially in the middle of winter with the wind howling around. Love visiting distilleries too, especially when there is someone to hand over the car keys too.

Portmeirion over in Wales is also a great day out. Haven't yet stayed in any of the strange cottages though.

LiesaAnna
18-11-2004, 11:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
I'm very partial to a bit of Scotland whenever there's a chance. Just love the Highlands, especially the Fort William to Inverness drive around Loch Ness. Urquhart Castle is fantastic, especially in the middle of winter with the wind howling around. Love visiting distilleries too, especially when there is someone to hand over the car keys too.

Portmeirion over in Wales is also a great day out. Haven't yet stayed in any of the strange cottages though.
[/quote]

this reminded me of a school trip we did many moons ago, wondered if anyone else had been there, Bod Silin, somewhere near Betsey cowed? (not sure of spelling! well it is welsh)
that was a lovely old stone cottage, had to get water from a stream (think there was a tap) it was fantastic, would love to stay there now!! would appreciate that now, but when we were kids i think we mustve moaned all the time, because it was so cold and very wet!
went up to the lighthouse at holyhead, saw the smallest house in Great Britain, went to the railway station with the longest name! we were spoilt![msnwink] memories!

jolliffee
18-11-2004, 19:50
We like visiting Cities: London, often. Paris yearly. Newcastle-upon-Tyne, often. We also seem to manage a couple of German cities, like Dresden or Stutgart. I would love to go to an Austrian Christmas Market, have done Brugges at Christmas and that was great but though Brussels was not great @ christmas.

Mo Green
18-11-2004, 20:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison

[/quote]

Can really recommend Portmeirion for a great getting away from everything weekend. We stayed in the castle which has super rooms. . They also provide free loan of DVD’s of episodes of The Prisoner. After watching one of them it was very surreal when we walked round the village in the evening when the tourists had gone home.
We spoke to someone staying in one of the houses and they said they were not very private as you had people wandering past the windows all day.