PDA

View Full Version : Rememberance Sunday

Magical Dreams
14-11-2004, 17:50
A Day to remember our Hero's

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/20041114124648_RememberanceSunday18.jpg.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/20041114124732_RememberanceSunday9.jpg.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/2004111412489_RememberanceSunday25.jpg.jpg

Brought tears to my eyes. It was great to see the younger generation showing their respect for those who gave their lives so we could live as we do today!
My Eldest was in the March and my twins sat and watched!!

LiesaAnna
14-11-2004, 18:10
dont remember hearing about any in Brighton perhaps they did, they normally parade around the war memorial down town,
Lets never forget our war dead! and all the heros!!!
God Bless them all!![grouphug]

KJH
14-11-2004, 18:46
I was just out shopping in Yiewsley and everyone stopped and paid respects. There were a certain number of people that didn't, all I can say is they obviously don't know British history.

Lovely twins by the way

Kaz

Magical Dreams
14-11-2004, 18:50
I think that you get that where ever you are!!

It makes you think, I wonder what life would have been life if things didn't turn out like they did?

Scary thought!!

The Twins were as good as gold!!
And clapped their little hands off when they saw their big brother all dressed up in his Air Cadets Uniform!!
[angel][angel]

I think the Pony shrunk in the wash too!! [msneek]

Lynnes
14-11-2004, 20:22
Coming from a service family we went to the war memorial in Harrogate this morning and as usual the tears flowed.

christhear
14-11-2004, 20:42
We do try to keep the tradition going. On Thursday 11th I was teaching school children swimming, and the sports centre always tries to observe the 2 minutes silence. 11 is swap over time for classes, so the class in the pool got out a couple of minutes early and went to change. I then explained to the next class why we were having 2 minutes silence prior to their lesson and they actually all managed to observe it.

LiesaAnna
14-11-2004, 20:45
i was shopping in ESK in Eastbourne at the time, and i and my friend stood still and quiet but another older woman was still walking and picking things off the shelf, "ignorant" is the word!

Magical Dreams
14-11-2004, 20:57
Then they wonder why some of todays kids have no repsect for them!!

I was really proud to see my 14 year old in his uniform.
Paying respect to the thousands and thousands of brave servicemen that lost their lives to save ours.

Bring back National Service for all who can't get a job on leaving school!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-11-2004, 22:12
I did not attend any memorial or anything but did sit and quietly ponder the unselfish sacrifice of those who fought in the World Wars to ensure our freedom. I have nothing but utmost repect for them.

LiesaAnna
14-11-2004, 22:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pontelad
Then they wonder why some of todays kids have no repsect for them!!

I was really proud to see my 14 year old in his uniform.
Paying respect to the thousands and thousands of brave servicemen that lost their lives to save ours.

Bring back National Service for all who can't get a job on leaving school!!!
[/quote]

which one is your son? can we see him?

Bring back national service!!!!!! what a great idea, they do it in other countries! and the kids seem so much more respectful of everything and everyone!

Magical Dreams
14-11-2004, 22:35
Here he is!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/20041114173520_RememberanceSunday18a.jpg

LiesaAnna
14-11-2004, 22:47
ah!
you must be so proud!
i know i would if he were my son!!
does he want to join the services or anything like that when he finishes school?
how old is he?

my uncle and his family were all in the army, i remember feeling so proud when they used to visit us! just knowing they were in the army! well! proud or what!!!!!!!!
have been tracing my family tree lately and have a lovely picture now of my great grandad in army uniform, sadly he died 4 months after my pic was taken! i dont know much about him!:(
i know i'm proud of him!:)

Magical Dreams
14-11-2004, 22:51
My dad did his national service with the AirForce.
So fingers crossed he will want to do the same!!

If not, maybe the Navy!

He was 14 last month!
[msncry][msncry]

LiesaAnna
14-11-2004, 23:20
i think if kids want to do this sort of thing when theyre young, they become disciplined at a young age, can take orders from people in authority, and generally do well in most things they do!
good luck to him!
:)

Cruella DeVilla
15-11-2004, 00:03
Did my bit today, was great to see so many youngsters out there to, especially the Brownies and Cubs............aw! It has changed a bit Rememberance Sunday, in the last few years it, used to be for World Wars but now it is for every "person" fallen in conflicts I think.

Magical Dreams
15-11-2004, 00:21
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/20041114191856_RememberanceSunday4.jpg.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pontelad/20041114191941_RememberanceSunday6.jpg.jpg

Yes, Scouts, Cubs and Guides were there today!!

As you can tell with the sleeves over the kids hands, it was a little nippy!!

Bless 'em

LiesaAnna
15-11-2004, 00:57
[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]
well done kids!!!!!

KJH
15-11-2004, 01:00
At school on the 11th we took the year six outside, 90 children stood in a straight line and another teacher played the last post. It was a very moving moment. The children have been studying the war for their topics this term, so they all understood the reason behind it.

Kaz

Magical Dreams
15-11-2004, 01:39
Well thats a freshing piece of info!

Schools these days don'e seem to teach half of what they did when I was at school.

I'm only 36...... I think!! :D

LiesaAnna
15-11-2004, 02:47
my little un is learning about different bits and pieces at the moment and now shes asking about the war, very difficult for me as my dad is German! i really took some stick when i was at school, we had next door neighbours that hated us! (he was a canadian, horrible people anyway , but the fact that my dad was german took the biscuit)Have told Lauren he had to do as he was told!!!!
he got caught pretty quickly anyway thank goodness!!! maybe i wouldnt have been telling this story!
he has given so much to this country, he has never returned and dosent want to! hes nearly 82 now, he spent the rest of his working life in hospitals, nursing!, love him:)

Magical Dreams
15-11-2004, 03:01
Liesa
At the end of the day, all the soldiers did what they were trained to do.

Even if it mean't killing innocent people.
No doubt many of the soldiers regret what happened, but I suppose it was kill or be killed.

Thank God that was then and this is now!!

The wars in Iraq seem minor compared to what happened in WWI & WWII although there is nothing worse than having family or friends in the forces when these horrible wars are going on!

God Bless all that fight for Queen and Country

LiesaAnna
15-11-2004, 12:33
God Bless all that fight for Queen and Country
[/quote]

Hear Hear![clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

LiesaAnna
15-11-2004, 12:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Did my bit today, was great to see so many youngsters out there to, especially the Brownies and Cubs............aw! It has changed a bit Rememberance Sunday, in the last few years it, used to be for World Wars but now it is for every "person" fallen in conflicts I think.
[/quote]

I think your right, but altho things are terrible in any war, and i know its terrible what goes on with the poor hostages in Iraq, but the WW1 & WW2 i think was different,

i was going to go on, but wont!;)

MTP
18-11-2004, 06:24
I think our rector's church sermon summed it up quite well - Remembrance Sunday is not a day for discussing the rights or wrongs of war, but to remember all the soldiers that gave their lives.

I have to say I was not that interested in history and WWII when I was younger, until we were in Poland 11 years ago and went to Auschwitz and Birkenau - it is an exceptionally powerful and eerie place, especially Birkenau which hasn't been touched since the war.

It brought it all back when we saw Schindler's List as the gates with the train tracks going through them in the concentration camp scene are Birkenau's.

I would urge everyone to attend, when they are old enough. Even just the thought of the rooms full of human hair, glasses, teeth and the cannisters containing the poisonous gas - it sends a shiver down my spine. It is undescribable, the day we attended it was 27 C, but it felt cold that day and there was not even the sound of birdsong in the air - just eerily silent.

We must never forget.

diverdrew
21-11-2004, 00:26
WAR is HELL, anyone who says different hasn't witnessed it. Was in a Hospital (spend a great deal of time there due to my job) on Armistice day this year, paid my respects, stood completely still for 2 minutes at 11:00 (admitedly the HCP's had to carry on), hardly any one else did the same. I even had a 'something-teen' ask me what I was doing. I'm ex-services and proud, but realistic in my view that any war is just one more example of mans inhumanity to his fellow man (or should that be 'person'). On a closing note, soldiers don't fight for Queen or Country...they fight for each other, it's the ultimate example of being a team player. Sorry if this seems like a 'rant', it isn't. Just my two-penneth.

Happy Holiday to one and all, and if you have family serving anywhere in the world, God Bless and keep them safe.

Drew

LiesaAnna
21-11-2004, 00:36
Thanks Drew![msnwink]

Magical Dreams
21-11-2004, 00:49
Drew,
Thats brought a lump to my throat!.

Dealing with it first hand must be an experience you never want to relive.

I suppose thats when you relaise, on the front line, who are your true friends!!

God bless you and all other servicemen, past and present!