PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a 'small' 4WD in the US

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 21:54
I am trying to rent a smallish 4WD (something like a 2-door Suzuki Vitara) when I visit Charlotte next may for my 12 day tour of Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Myrtle Beach and the Outer Banks. But no one seems to have anything smaller than a Chevy Blazer available, if the on-line adverts are to be believed. I don't want anything big and cumbersome and so any ideas on what sort of vehicles are available (at Charlotte). I don't mind which rental company I choose.

blott
12-11-2004, 22:32
Did you try the forum link for car rental? They do other places in the US as well as Florida.

KevinT
12-11-2004, 23:06
Haven't seen any two door Vitaras around Orlando, Nostromo. My wife has just been getting one here so we were on the lookout to see if there were any around the Orlando/ Kissimmee area when we were there in Oct.but didn't see one. There were a few 4 door ones, so there must be dealers there, but the rental companies don't seem to have them for hire. I would have thought that the two door Grand Vitara or the Toyota Rav4's would have been ideal rental cars for two people as opposed to the compact cars like the Dodge Neon.

Snapper
12-11-2004, 23:40
I know it isn't answering your question Nostromo but I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and am loving it. It's bigger than a Vit and a Rav (similar size to a Chevy Blazer I think) but it's great to drive and doesn't feel quite as huge as some of the SUVs tend to. If you don't find exactly what you are looking for I would give give the Cherokee a big thumbs up as a possible alternative.

daxon
13-11-2004, 00:30
Steve, get back to work & stop playing on the forums!!! You're supposed to be working out there - by the pool, with a beer??!! Yeah right!!

Nostromo
13-11-2004, 01:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Did you try the forum link for car rental? They do other places in the US as well as Florida.
[/quote]

I did Blott. All they are coming up with is Jeep Grand Cherookee (Dollar) and Chevy Blazer (Alamo). Great vehicles, but I am looking for something smaller, since I'll be on my own. Also, I plan to do quite a bit of unpaved mountain road driving and while something like a Cherookee can doubtless negotiate those easily, I'd be happier with a Vitara sized vehicle. Trouble is, Americans seldom think small!

chrissb
13-11-2004, 19:58
Hi Nostromo
Last year when we hired a 4x4 from Alamo and got into the garage there were several RAV 4 to choose from. They don't appear on the site but they were there. May be worth contacting Alamo to see if they are available then booking through this site. If you cannot get hold of a small 4x4 then I would agree with everything Steve has said about the Grand Cherookee. This is usually the car we hire when in the US and it is very easy to drive. Even my wife is happy to drive it and it is much larger than the car she is used to in the UK.

ravtino
13-11-2004, 22:36
When we were in Orlando we too saw Rav 4's, we didn't see many and as hubby drives one we were on the lookout, we had a jerooke and loved it.

Nostromo
13-11-2004, 23:25
I think the guy I am booking with uses Alamo and they seem to have Chevy Trackers. I have not driven one of these, but it is classified as an "Intermediate Sports Utility vehicle" and may be smaller than a Blazer. Likewise, Dollar do the Jeep Wrangler. Thanks for all your info and I'll keep trying armed with the info you lot have given.