PDA

View Full Version : What's your 2nd fav place in USA (after Florida)?

julieanne
12-11-2004, 13:45
I know we all love Florida, that's why we're here [msnwink]

But where else do you go and love in the States?

New York is fab but I think after Florida - Vegas has to be my choice.
Hotels are amazing, more food than even I can eat [msntongue] and lots of hot hot sun [msncool] [8D]

emm
12-11-2004, 14:13
Skiing in Colorado!

linda.s
12-11-2004, 14:25
Can't comment much, as I have only been to Florida and Detroit, and Detroit was for work! However, I did have a couple of days to myself there, and it was lovely! I visited Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum, and spent a rainy day driving round the national parks. I wanted to spend an evening in downtown, with the music clubs etc, but as I was alone, it wasn't advisable, so I stayed in my hotel and watched a film instead! You can also get a boat over to Canada from there. It's a good place, although I did get lost one day, and ended up at 8 Mile Road, and yes, it is like the film, and no, I didn't feel safe!

LiesaAnna
12-11-2004, 14:26
never been anywhere else in the USA and to be honest cant see into the future but dont have any other plans other then "orlando" :D

andrewmckay5
12-11-2004, 14:29
The Southern Part of Heaven"
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
andrew

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 14:37
I would say Grand Canyon rates above Florida in my book. But to have fun, Las Vegas follows a close second to Orlando.

Katys Grandad
12-11-2004, 15:07
I think that there is sometimes a tendency to think of 'Florida' only in terms of Orlando. Orlando's a great place but I've been surprised how varied the other parts of the state can be.

If I had to pick a STATE it would be Florida but I have to say that I agree with Nostromo that the Grand Canyon's very special.

Lots more of the US still to see though - and that's a good thing.

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 15:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
I think that there is sometimes a tendency to think of 'Florida' only in terms of Orlando. Orlando's a great place but I've been surprised how varied the other parts of the state can be.

[/quote]

Absolutely right. I love the Everglades and like nothing better than ride airboats across the terrain. Then there is Miami - has its exciting bits despite the shady reputation of the past. Cocoa & Daytona beaches to the east and the Gulf Coast to the west mirror what Florida originally became a tourist favourite for (long before anyone heard of Orlando) - its sunny coastlines.

On the subject of 'other places in the USA' I like anywhere in the Rocky Mountain region. We have travelled extensively in the USA Rockies, but not much in the Canadian part - which I is supposed to be even better.

US cities can be varied. New York, San Francisco & New orleans are my favourites while Los Angeles ([xx(][xx(][xx(]), Detroit ([xx(][xx(]) and Atlanta ([xx(]) are my pet hates.

julieanne
12-11-2004, 15:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

If I had to pick a STATE it would be Florida but I have to say that I agree with Nostromo that the Grand Canyon's very special.

Lots more of the US still to see though - and that's a good thing.
[/quote]

Yep - got to agree with both of you - the Grand Canyon is something else!

kaysvacationvilla
12-11-2004, 15:33
You guys have seen more of the US than I.[msncry] Never been to the Grand Canyon or out west except to San Francisco a few years ago when my husband was there for business. When he gets only 3 vacation weeks a year, and one is to Cape Cod and one is skiing in Vermont not much time left for anything else, but Florida. I have seen Niagara Falls though and that was beautiful.

LiesaAnna
12-11-2004, 15:38
i think Niagara falls would be top of my list if i were to go elsewhere in the USA!!!
sheer beauty!!!!!:)

Lynnes
12-11-2004, 15:46
We've seen the Grand Canyou, Las Vegas, Niagara and Arizona. Whilst they all have there own appeal and are very special we would pick Florida above them all, it has everything for all ages.

julieanne
12-11-2004, 15:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla
You guys have seen more of the US than I.[msncry] Never been to the Grand Canyon or out west except to San Francisco a few years ago when my husband was there for business. When he gets only 3 vacation weeks a year, and one is to Cape Cod and one is skiing in Vermont not much time left for anything else, but Florida. I have seen Niagara Falls though and that was beautiful.
[/quote]

Kay

My wise old Dad ;) is always telling me that I have probably seen more of America than a lot of Americans - sounds like he's right. You have a lovely county :)

John Rocke
12-11-2004, 16:04
We went to the White Mountains in New Hampshire last year. We flew in and out of Boston. It was a great place to enjoy fresh air and outdoor activities and a British accent was rare enough to cause comment.
We will go to The Grand Canyon one day, and this will include Las Vegas I suppose, but I have no great wish to visit cities anywhere.

jr.

blott
12-11-2004, 16:11
The Grand Canyon is just awesome! It's the first time I've seen grown men with tears in their eyes on seeing it for the first time.

gromit
12-11-2004, 16:15
Ski-ing in Colorado or New Hampshire. Love the fall in New England. Love Las Vegas. Love California. Our honeymoon had it all LA - Las Vegas - Yosemite - San Fransisco We did beaches, gambling, Grand Canyon, Walking, Cycling, Shopping, Alcatraz, it was just wonderful especially the drive through Death Valley!!!

Cruella DeVilla
12-11-2004, 16:24
OMG What a choice to have to make!

Has to be a toss up between Las Vegas/New Orleans and Mephis. We got married in Vegas so if forced, it would be there.

Have also visited:
New York
San Fransisco
Los Angeles
San Deago
Las Vegas
Atlanta
Nashville
Some places in Mississippi,Alabama, Georgia and California.

Least favourite was Los Angeles.
Coldest was New York
Warmest was Florida
Drunkest was Memphis
Spent the most in Las Vegas;)

Still want to visit Washington and Chicago, but next on the hit list is Texas and Arizona.......wish this lotery win would hurry up!

YAWL HAVE A GOOD DAY!

stabard
12-11-2004, 16:36
Arizona for me although Lee likes Laguna in California

Mo Green
12-11-2004, 17:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
never been anywhere else in the USA and to be honest cant see into the future but dont have any other plans other then "orlando" :D
[/quote]

Orlando is great Liesa but you should go and visit the rest of the state and see some of the 'real' Florida.

As for the rest of the states - Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, whale watching off the coast of San Francisco, New York, Blue Ridge Mountains

chrizzy100
12-11-2004, 17:48
I love Montana.....but its too far away to own a second home there.......so we are looking at the Blue Ridge Mountains......

I love the Cape where I live now........but its getting old living here........I really want to move on....

SG
12-11-2004, 19:14
It's our ambition to visit all of the states, we have managed about 35 so far! One of my favourite places is Yellowstone National Park, great for wildlife, scenery and it is so quiet in comparison to Yosemite.

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 19:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I love Montana.....but its too far away to own a second home there.......so we are looking at the Blue Ridge Mountains......

[/quote]

I plan to tour the North Carolina sector of the Blue Ridge Parkway culminating at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in June 2005. The trip will include several hikes, whitewater rafting and wildlife watching. I am really looking forward to it.:)

Ray&Sarah
12-11-2004, 20:13
Have seen both the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls and although they are both amazing, Niagara has the slight edge for me, it just takes your breath away. Las Vegas is also a must do in the US, you just can't fully describe it to those that have not been, they need to experience it for themselves.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
12-11-2004, 20:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SG
It's our ambition to visit all of the states, we have managed about 35 so far! One of my favourite places is Yellowstone National Park, great for wildlife, scenery and it is so quiet in comparison to Yosemite.
[/quote]

I was so ill in Yellowstone because of the smell........[sick][sick]

chrizzy100
12-11-2004, 20:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

[/quote]

I plan to tour the North Carolina sector of the Blue Ridge Parkway culminating at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in June 2005. The trip will include several hikes, whitewater rafting and wildlife watching. I am really looking forward to it.:)
[/quote]

We are driving down next year to look at some land in the mountains......we were going to build a large log cabin to rent out......but now we want just a small place for us and friends....the land is so cheap......I want to get it before the prices start going up.....we can build the cabin at anytime.....

chrizzy100
12-11-2004, 20:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Have seen both the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls and although they are both amazing, Niagara has the slight edge for me, it just takes your breath away. Las Vegas is also a must do in the US, you just can't fully describe it to those that have not been, they need to experience it for themselves.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

We keep meaning to drive up to the falls......we will have to do it before moving......

Michele L
12-11-2004, 20:34
Las Vegas - grown ups version of Disney. Love it.

Yosemite National Park was breathtaking

San Fransisco - 1 day is enough

Palm springs - nice to chill out -quite upmarket

Los Angeles/Hollywood - never return there

Sanata Barbara just up from LA is nice and relaxed

To see the real USA go off the beaten track it is muchmore fun

Michele

Mo Green
12-11-2004, 21:02
[/quote]

Our ambition too Shirley but with only 11 states we have a long way to go to catch you up.

E. Cosgrove
12-11-2004, 21:07
All the National Parks that I have visited,

Grand Canyon...Norh Rim is best
Yellowstone
Grand Teton
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Capital Reef
Arches
Canyonlands
Mount Ranier
Yosemite
Death Valley
Joshua Tree
Rocky Mountain

Loads more still to do. Next year it's Kings Canyon, Sequoia and a return to Yosemite this time for longer.
San Francisco is my favourite city, closely followed by Boston and Scottsdale
[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
12-11-2004, 21:12
It's only Geyser country that I noticed the smell of sulphur and the park is so vast you can easily avoid it. Spent 5 days there this summer and could have easily spent twice as long.[msnsmile]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

I was so ill in Yellowstone because of the smell........[sick][sick]

[/quote]

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 21:40
Liz, I agree 100% that you have to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to get the best out of it. The problem, of course, is that the North Rim is closed 6 months of the year and accommodations are limited and get booked very early. The best spot of all is the Imperial Point, from where you get a huge vista look of the surrounding canyon.

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 21:42
One spot in the US that I have read a lot about but have never been so far is White Sands. I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has been there and seen the landscape.

Lyn
12-11-2004, 22:22
I agree with Michelle, Yosemite just takes your breath away
San Fransisco is OK but don't want to go back
Los Angeles was horrible
Have also been to
Lake Tahoe - loveley can't wait to go again
Grand Canyon - OK but in my opionion not as spectacular as Yosemite
Los Vegas - Out of this world, loved it and I don't gamble!
San Diego - nice
Have also stayed in some other places in California that you
proberly have never heard of, and driven through Death Valley - hot!

The scenery is all very spectacular, you don't get this sort of scenery in Florida
which is very flat, but Florida is just so infectious I love it.

Andy and Wendy
13-11-2004, 01:56
So much to choose from and so many good suggestions already that we agree with.

Would wish to chip in for Washington State / Seattle. Breathtaking setting near Mount Rainier / Mount St Helens. Lots of outlying islands and the Olympic peninsula - whale watching etc. Plus the Jumbo Jet production line at Boeing - fascinating stuff.

Home of the original Starbucks (Corporate HQ) and more coffee (and the best) you will ever taste in the Northern hemisphere.

And to cap it all easy access to Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies.

Not on many itineraries but can highly recommend.

Andy

Snapper
13-11-2004, 02:46
Moab (Southwest Utah) is one of my all time favourite places, but it's a real one-horse town that you probably wouldn't spend more than a week or two in. It just makes such a great base for exploring all the surrounding national parks and hiking and mountain biking and rafting and hanging out. I love Las Vegas too, and prefer that dry-heat desert climate to Florida in the summer.

MTP
13-11-2004, 03:20
I have to say that when we went to the Grand Canyon we were actually a little underwhelmed! I don't know if it is due to the fact that it is so hyped around the area (South Rim) or if it was ourselves expecting something more (don't know quite what!!?). We did really love Sedona the Verde Valley area, including Jerome and Prescott (Prescott is quite similar to Mt Dora with having a central square).

Vegas is great fun and we are hoping to get back next year and we also love New England, especially the New Hampshire seacoast and souther Maine. The White Mountain area of NH is also beautiful.

Nostromo
13-11-2004, 13:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MTP
I have to say that when we went to the Grand Canyon we were actually a little underwhelmed!
[/quote]

I am a bit surprised, because of all the places on earth Grand Canyon is one where no brochure or film show can match a personal viewing experince. Having said that, if you went at a busy time and tried to see the canyon amidst noisy tourists (as often happens at the South Rim), you cannot get a taste of 'The Experience' and could well end up disappointed. You need to walk along and find yourself a quiet secluded spot, allow yourself to relax in mind & body and then you'll enjoy the place. I always equate a good few hours at Grand Canyon to a sort of "Eco-Yoga" experience.

In that respect, North Rim is far better. It is longer and harder to get to and those who take the trouble to go there are usually 'connoisseurs'. You're more likely to find eco-aware hikers, artists, photographers etc scattered thinly about at the North Rim, but mostly the vast expanse of the canyon itself.

chrissb
13-11-2004, 13:41
I love San Fransisco and would happily spend time there exploring and doing all the touristy things like riding on the trolly bus, and going down to the water front, but if I had to pick an all time favorite then it would have to be Maui, one of the Hawian Islands. We spent 2 weeks of our honeymoon there very near the old capital of Lahinia which is an old fishing port. The scenary is fabulous, as the islands are volcanic, the sea is very clear, perfect for diving with an increadable array of life to see. It's a very peaceful place with outstanding resturants and shops, and there is so much you can do but it is also a great place to relax and wind down. We are looking at going back in 2006 for our 10 anniversary

Ray&Sarah
13-11-2004, 13:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrissb
I love San Fransisco and would happily spend time there exploring and doing all the touristy things like riding on the trolly bus, and going down to the water front.
[/quote]

Good to know that, as we are planning a trip to San Francisco next year for Rays 40th. We are hoping to go to the villa for 3 weeks and then get an internal flight across and stay in a hotel for a few days there. My parents are coming along to Florida and have volunteered to stay at the villa with our lads, bless em.[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
13-11-2004, 14:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrissb
I love San Fransisco and would happily spend time there exploring and doing all the touristy things like riding on the trolly bus, and going down to the water front.
[/quote]

Good to know that, as we are planning a trip to San Francisco next year for Rays 40th. We are hoping to go to the villa for 3 weeks and then get an internal flight across and stay in a hotel for a few days there. My parents are coming along to Florida and have volunteered to stay at the villa with our lads, bless em.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

What month Sarah, it can be really cold!

Ray&Sarah
13-11-2004, 14:36
Don't worry CDV, we are planning to go in August. We are confined to the school holidays because of our boys. We were looking at going in April originally, but that might have been a little chilly.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
13-11-2004, 20:48
I shivered in shorts in August Sarah![msnsad] Apparently, Sept is mean't to be the warmest month[msncool] Having said that we are planning our 3rd trip to SF next year 3 nights in July before heading off to Kings Canyon and Sequoia...can't wait! 2 trips to Florida before then though[msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Don't worry CDV, we are planning to go in August. We are confined to the school holidays because of our boys. We were looking at going in April originally, but that might have been a little chilly.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Epic
16-11-2004, 20:39
This question is impossible for me to answer.its a dream of mine to see as many states in the usa as possible and i plan on sticking to that and although i looovvvve florida i think every other state has something to offer as they are so varied which is why i love the country so much.the usa as a whole is my fave and im just very grateful to be able to pick and choose which state id love to visit every year.thankfully being only 22 i have a few yrs to continue my quest[clap]

Emma

CarolAnn
16-11-2004, 20:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I shivered in shorts in August Sarah![msnsad] Apparently, Sept is mean't to be the warmest month[msncool] Having said that we are planning our 3rd trip to SF next year 3 nights in July before heading off to Kings Canyon and Sequoia...can't wait! 2 trips to Florida before then though[msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]
[/quote]

We went To SF in October 97' and it was 'Fresh'to say the least, but alot warmer as we travelled to Santa Monica [msnwink] On route, our fav place was Santa Barbara [msnsmile2]Could actually see us living there one day, when we are old and grey .(That would be next month then[msncry][msncry])

Ray&Sarah
16-11-2004, 21:29
[/quote]
[/quote]

Will have to remember to take a jacket then.[msnsmile2]

parrot 2
19-11-2004, 15:42
I been lucky enough to go round alot of the united states and my fave place of course is Florida but after this would have to be ....... Vegas !!!!!! its such a fun lively place !!! must go back there one day ... maybe next year

[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
19-11-2004, 18:48
You see all the "unprepared" tourists wearing SF logo fleeces which they sell quite cheaply at places like Fishermans Wharf. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]
[/quote]

Will have to remember to take a jacket then.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
19-11-2004, 18:51
We loved Moab Steve, we stayed for 5 nights and used it as a base to explore Arches and Canyonlands. It's great as you can walk around in the evenings, no need to use the car and we had some really good meals there, it's on our list of places to visit again!:D<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Moab (Southwest Utah) is one of my all time favourite places, but it's a real one-horse town that you probably wouldn't spend more than a week or two in. It just makes such a great base for exploring all the surrounding national parks and hiking and mountain biking and rafting and hanging out. I love Las Vegas too, and prefer that dry-heat desert climate to Florida in the summer.
[/quote]

janice
19-11-2004, 19:32
Fave place next to Fla is Martha's Vineyard, it is so tranquil and pleasant. Quite the opposite to Orlando but I love it there.

E. Cosgrove
19-11-2004, 20:06
We had a disappointing day there Janice, but only cos it rained quite heavily. loved the gingerbread houses, and stopped somewhere for a yummy pizza. Would love to go again in good weather.

janice
23-11-2004, 19:22
The weather makes a big difference I think, it was beautiful when we visited Martha's Vineyard, which also makes people happier and more sociable. We spent a few days there and would love to return (in the nice weather of course).
Jan.

linda allen
23-11-2004, 19:27
I love SF too, its definately up there in my fave places in the world yet alone the USA. New York is a close contender too, also Denver and the surrounding area.

Linda

amy
23-11-2004, 19:37
We like Brice canyon at Utah, it is a great place, then the grand canyon.

daisy
24-11-2004, 13:45
anyone been to san fransisco at new year ? i know its going to be cold but how cold ?:(will i be this colour ?

linda allen
24-11-2004, 14:23
I have been to SF just before Christmas. The weather was a bit like our weather here in the UK, damp and chilly. SF can also be very windy and when its not its foggy.

Linda