PDA

View Full Version : Kissimmee Old Town

Snapper
12-11-2004, 08:31
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004111243053_DSC_0003.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/200411124318_DSC_0031.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steveharrison/2004111243122_DSC_0052.jpg

LiesaAnna
12-11-2004, 10:32
<span style="color:red">WOW!!!!!!!!!!</span id="red">
Steve, these pics are <span style="color:red">fantastic</span id="red">
what is the second one??
obviously the camera is the best!!!!!!!!!
gonna show mine up!!![msnwink]
keep them coming like that steve theyre lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!![clap][clap][clap]

linda.s
12-11-2004, 13:07
Someone took their tripod eh???
Great pics Steve!

eagleydo
12-11-2004, 15:12
These are fantastic!!!![beer][beer]

KirstieLou
12-11-2004, 16:29
Its looks fantastic all lit up at night!!

Those two high things are my cue to come off the 417 when I'm coming from the Airport:)

Magical Dreams
12-11-2004, 16:50
Amazing Photo's!!

Love Old Town, Especially at night!!

Any more Steve?

[catinhat][catinhat][catinhat][catinhat][catinhat][catinhat][catinhat]

Snapper
12-11-2004, 17:39
Liesa - the second one is the dangling merry-go-round thing while it is spinning round, and behind the palm tree is the end of that catapult thing, but it goes so fast that it doesn't pick up through the lights of the palm trees. I might have another go at it one night.

As I snap some more I'll post a few.

Nostromo
12-11-2004, 19:56
Brilliant photos Steve. Please tell us which camera you used, surely with a tripod. Also, the settings chosen? You obviously had a long exposure to achieve this effect. You could put them up for competitions, you know.

Snapper
13-11-2004, 02:25
A few people have asked for technical details about these, so sorry to bore the non-photographers out there but here goes ...

The kit used was a Nikon D70 with a 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens and a 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G lens.

Pic 1 (the ferris wheel) was taken with the 17-55mm lens set to a focal length of 26mm. The exposure was 4 seconds at f/16. The D70 was set to multi-pattern metering and the shot was over-exposed by 1.7 EVs so that it would really burn in the lights.

Pic 2 (the merry-go-round) also used the 17-5mm lens but this time at 48mm. Exposure was 1/1.3 seconds (about 0.77s) at f/18. Multi-pattern metering with under-exposure of -0.3 EVs to try to kill off as much of the background as possible while retaining the detail of the merry-go-round and the reindeer. I put the reindeer there to try to balance out the shot against the angle of the merry-go-round.

Pic 3 (the palm tree) used the 24-120mm lens at 62mm. Exposure was 1/10s at f/5.3 as recommended by the multi-pattern metering with no exposure compensation.

Pic 3 was really born out of frustration that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't capture the bungee catapult thing going 'twang' behind the palm tree, so I resorted to an arty shot of the tree itself instead.

In case anyone is interested the tripod was a Gitzo 2227 (carbon fibre) with a 1276M offset-ball head. The Gitzo is a fantastic piece of kit and I would recommend it to any serious photographer.

LiesaAnna
13-11-2004, 02:32
well from a non photographer, thanks for showing and explaining, they are truely lovely,
fantastic pictures, is this a hobby or do you do it professionally?
well done keep on showing them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please.........[beer]

Snapper
13-11-2004, 02:38
I'll do my best Liesa.

I'm not quite a professional, but a very keen amateur. I don't hardly seem to find the time to do any serious photography so it's really nice to get the chance. I'll certainly bore you with some more over the next few weeks.

LiesaAnna
13-11-2004, 03:23
it would never bore me, i love any type of pics, i'm the worst nightmare for getting photos out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nostromo
13-11-2004, 13:19
Thank you for the details, Steve. That goes to show that investing in something like a Digital Nikon SLR and lenses does give due results that are rather above the ususal tourist fare. Well done.

As for the tripod, I still have my 15 year old Benbo Trekker which is lightweight (for its size) and very flexible. But it is still a bit big for travel abroad and I tend to prefer the Cullmann monopod, which is rather restrictive, of course.

linda.s
15-11-2004, 15:01
I have a Benbo Trekker too Nostromo, yep, they can be a little awkward for travel, but they are versatile........ I tend not to take any of my big kit with me when we go away now, just the Canon digital. My other half hates me stopping for shots, and the kids all moan! Like Steve, I enjoy photography, and wish I had more time to myself to devote, but unfortunately I rarely get the chance. I managed to take some good shots whilst I was in Detroit last year, but I only managed one day out of the 2 free days I had, as the 2nd day poured with rain! Maybe if I win the lottery, or when I retire, I'll get some free time.....

Nostromo
15-11-2004, 16:08
I see what you mean Linda. I am going to do a lot of travelling on my own around North Carolina in June 2005, visiting Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Cape Hatteras etc. I want to take my Benbo too and allow myself plenty of uninterrupted time for photography. I am really looking forward to it.

linda.s
15-11-2004, 17:41
[:P] Now I'm jealous Nostromo!

Nostromo
15-11-2004, 19:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
[/quote]

No need to be. You came come along if you wish. [msnwink][msnwink]

Snapper
15-11-2004, 20:00
Go for it Nostromo; and do take the Benbo. I tend to find that I take better pictures when I'm using a tripod. I think it's because the tripod tends to slow everything down and forces me to think about what I'm doing and what I'm trying to achieve.

I found out yesterday that Yellowstone National Park closed last week for the winter so I'm going to have to change my travel plans for the drive from Las Vegas back to Orlando. I already have Zion, Bryce (where hopefully there will be a bit of snow), Moab and the Rockies on my list but any suggestions gratefully received.

Nostromo
15-11-2004, 20:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison

I found out yesterday that Yellowstone National Park closed last week for the winter so I'm going to have to change my travel plans for the drive from Las Vegas back to Orlando. I already have Zion, Bryce (where hopefully there will be a bit of snow), Moab and the Rockies on my list but any suggestions gratefully received.
[/quote]
One suggestion would be USA's newest, Congaree National Park near Columbia, South Carolina. It got its National park status only in November 2003. No accommodations within the park apart from camping out, but there are towns nearby with inns. It is unsusal & very picturesque - look at their site via Google. I am spending 2 days there on my way from Great Smoky Mountains NP to Myrtle Beach next June. Steve, it does not seem out of your way if you're travelling from LV to Orlando. Check it out.

Pluto
17-11-2004, 02:16
Steve
Keep the pictures coming - they are fantastic.

linda.s
17-11-2004, 12:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tempting! :D

Nostromo
17-11-2004, 15:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tempting! :D
[/quote]

Old Japanese proverb: "The best way to fight temptation is to yield to it". [catinhat][catinhat]

Madabouttigger
21-11-2004, 15:11
Love the pictures, thaks for sharing them with us and keep them coming.

jolliffee
21-11-2004, 17:01
Just seen your pictures, they are fantastic. Do you have any more to brighten up these cold dark nights?[msnsmile2]

Snapper
21-11-2004, 23:26
I could do with some here too Dave. I'm over in Las Vegas now where the temperature outside is barely about 50 degrees; about 30 degrees colder than Orlando. Brrrrr. I'm going to do a bit of photography around here and then on the drive back to Orlando and then some more Orlando shots. I'll try to post as often as I can; internet link permitting.

LiesaAnna
21-11-2004, 23:33
thankyou steve, well appreciated!![msnwink]

KJH
22-11-2004, 01:27
How long is the drive?

Kaz

Snapper
22-11-2004, 06:12
I think it's about 2000-2500 miles Kaz, depending on how many interesting places I stop off at. I'm planning about a week but I guess you could do it in 2 or 3 days if you just went for it.