PDA

View Full Version : Bonfires?

E. Cosgrove
07-11-2004, 23:45
A question from my other half.
Why are there no bonfires anymore? Nov 5th produces loads of firework displays but we have not seen any bonfires promoted.
When we were younger the weeks leading up to Nov 5th were spent 'logging' and when you had built your bonfire people used to take turns guarding it so that no one pinched your wood?
Does this still happen anywhere?

mollymoo
07-11-2004, 23:48
Not round here (chelmsford Essex) they do it for big displays but they are organised not family ones!!!!!

And another thing you don't see many kids coming to the house saying ' Penny for the Guy'

Kerry-Ann

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 01:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
A question from my other half.
Why are there no bonfires anymore? Nov 5th produces loads of firework displays but we have not seen any bonfires promoted.
When we were younger the weeks leading up to Nov 5th were spent "logging" and when you had built your bonfire people used to take turns guarding it so that no one pinched your wood?
Does this still happen anywhere

[/quote]

we have fires around here, behind my daughters house is a big swing park, where we used to hang out when we were kids, well theyre still building the bonfires there!!
there was a lovely big one there on friday night, the lads used to make a door way in there and take some of the girls, they had an old settee in it one time and used to entertain the young willing ladies in there and others would keep guard!!!!![V]
i think its mainly firework displays now, we had kids outside the local post office at the end of my road where the kids have been over the last 2 weeks doing penny for the guy,

thank god its over.....ish.....[msnwink]

steph_goodrum
08-11-2004, 01:42
We are lucky in that we have a huge display each year near here at the Great Lines in Gillingham where they always have an enormous bonfire, and terrific fireworks and a funfair. They have a guy competition. Because they have strong links with the Army it is provided by them and the Council so there is no charge (except for funfair rides) and they just ask for donations for the Mayors charity fund. It's been running annually for as long as I can remember and the fireworks are always on a Disney scale (we have sworn before now they have put a couple of rocket launchers or grenades in amongst them they are so loud.
The bonfire is not assembled until the day before and is guarded by soldiers overnight maybe there arent enough to go round and guard everyones bonfires:)

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 01:49
yes we do have a traditonal one i forgot about it, Lewes the whole Town goes mad!!!!!!!!they burn effigys of anyone!!i think one time it was Tony Blair, osama bin laden another time, massive bonfire, everywhere shuts so this can be started, around 4-5pm i think, you cant get through to get home from work!!!!!!!!! i forgot it i cant believe i forgot about it... i wouldnt have gone, there are thousands of people they come from everywhere!!!!!!!!!!meant to be truely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!![8D]

amy
08-11-2004, 01:51
It is mainly to do with the organisers having to provide insurance cover to the visitors in this compensation culture we have become.

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 01:52
yes very true!!!!!!!!!

traceya89
08-11-2004, 02:05
we had a few fireworks in the garden but they were nothing compared to the big ones we will see in 13 days..........

MaggieAllan
08-11-2004, 02:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by traceya89
we had a few fireworks in the garden but they were nothing compared to the big ones we will see in 13 days..........
[/quote]
Why, are you going somewhere[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]