PDA

View Full Version : VISA - IMMIGRATION ADVICE PLEASE

SheilaF
07-11-2004, 18:36
Hi Everyone

Without saying too much and not daring to think it may be possible - we have started the immigration process with a lawyer in Orlando applying for a "exceptional ability" visa. If we are successful (everything crossed) we shall move to Orlando as the visa will last 3 years. During that time we "hope" to apply for a permanent version of the visa to be allowed to stay "forever".
My question to you all is - obviously we have nothing confirmed yet, so we cannot make plans. However we are discussing what if's and would like to ask you that, if we were lucky, do we sell the UK property and buy immediately in Florida bearing in mind we will have a 3 year temporary visa initially. OR rent our house over here, rent in Orlando until we are settled then buy. Theres also the furniture issue.
The lawyer told us it takes approximately 3 months (ish) to obtain the visa if successful, so we dont have very long to sort out our lives.
Any advice would be extremely welcome,

SheilaF

esprit
07-11-2004, 20:35
You are SO lucky to be able to apply for that visa which leads to green card!!!! I kept my UK house rented out for a year. The price went up quite a lot in that time. I sold because it was fine while I had people renting the house I knew but I didnt fancy renting to strangers plus there was a certain amount of administation involved which I didnt want. The prices are still going up in the UK and I have my money now in a currency which is losing value worldwide so whether it was a good move I dont know. On your visa, it is unlikely you wont get your green card so I dont think you have the risk I have as my visa is perpertually renewed.A lot depends on whether you can afford to buy here without selling??

Auction your furniture and just bring personal things which are precious to you. Furniture here is cheap and beuatiful and English furniture doesnt sit well in Floridian homes. It just doesnt look right.

Ray9
07-11-2004, 22:33
The EB-2 is a hard to get visa but if successful you have the system cracked. I think the 3 months estimate is a bit optimistic though.

SheilaF
07-11-2004, 23:02
Hi Julie and Ray

Thank you both for your advice. My sentiments entirely - dont really want to rent to strangers. I favour selling and renting initially then buying over there, because even in the worse case scenario and we have to come back we would still be able to buy over here. Plus we have no ties with the area we are in at present, so that would make it easy to move on.
Yes Ray i too think 3 months is optimistic, however thats fine because it gives us longer to sort things out. Next summer would be ideal.
Re: furniture, there are a few pieces family heirlooms etc that we would like to keep but not enough to furnish a house so we have to rent a furnished place and "fit" in our pieces.
I guess like all things, timing is the key. Will keep you informed as to how its going, but exciting times are ahead i hope.

SheilaF

esprit
08-11-2004, 03:37
Renting furnished long term may mean renting a vacation type place as most other long lets come unfurnished.

agod
08-11-2004, 05:26
May I be nosey and ask what exceptional ability you have.

Alan

SheilaF
08-11-2004, 19:18
Hi Again

Re; our "exceptional ability" visa request - my husband is "ex-media" and luckily his career achievements meet the criteria for this visa. We could still be refused, so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Thats a good point about renting an "American" house (that it will probably be unfurnished). Thats another dilemma !! I guess the best thing to do is take what is special and valuable to us and sell off the rest ! Roll on Car Boot season !!

SheilaF

Frosty
09-11-2004, 01:53
Sheila,

Good luck with the visa, i would only add that its not smart to sell your uk house and rent in US, if you sell i would buy in US straight away. Even if things don't work out at least your money is growing in real estate rather than a bank.
Theres no comparison. real estate is the only safe option.

SheilaF
09-11-2004, 16:54
Many thanks for all your advice it will certainly help us make those important decisions, i thought it would easier to sell before we go because i am told that you are not allowed home without special permission from the authorities. In the end it has to be the most financially viable option i guess as much as i hate the idea of renting my house to strangers.

Thanks again
SheilaF