PDA

View Full Version : cape haze

GLYSEN
07-11-2004, 03:04
hi guys,
can anyone some useful info on Cape Haze? booked into brilliant villa with private dock for our anniversary (hubby will love the fishing!) but any info on the area/attractions/restaurants of note etc. would be gratefully received....... taking the kids (12 & 7)
someone mentioned 'Boca something' beach?
thanks
Glynnis

Mo Green
07-11-2004, 04:31
Hi Glynnis
Our villa is at Rontonda West on the Cape Haze peninsular.
You are not far from Boca Grande/Gasparilla Island - if you search there have been several mentions recently on this site. The'Island' as the locals call it is really laid back and like stepping back in time. The locals all drive around in golf buggies and you can even hire them. They have some great restaurants over there - The Pink Elephant is really nice but pricey if you want something upmarket to celebrate. The kids will enjoy seeing the Iguanas and Osprey.
In Cape Haze there is a great Johnny Leverocks over-looking the marina. You can also catch a water taxi just round the side to go to Rum Bay restaurant on Pine island. You will need to book both in advance. Great atmosphere and we often see dolphins. There is also the Fishery restaurant - does not look much from outside but the fish is great.
Mad Sams overlooking the beautiful bay is great - go just before sunset and sit outside to eat - we see dolphin nearly every visit.
There are several other excellent restaurants in the area.
Go to the beach at Englewood and turn left for Stump Pass Beach for collecting shells or sharks teeth. You can also hire boats and go to visit one of the many islands.
What time of year are you going?? Boca Grande is also the place for tarpon fishing - hubby might like to go out for some serious fishing!!

GLYSEN
07-11-2004, 20:33
thanks for the great info Mo, just was I was hoping for!
Kids REALLY excited about finding "Shark's teeth"!! Going from 6 - 12th January, hubby should really get out for the serious fishing but he's actually quite a bad sailor!! Think the boat would have to be quite big and the water very smooth (if you get my drift?)
cheers
glynnis

David
07-11-2004, 23:19
Glynnis
If you like Italian food you should try to take in "MAMMAS" on McCall road near Tiffany Square. Its a locals favorite and I highly recommend it. Get there early as it is always full.
David

andrewmckay5
07-11-2004, 23:22
Hi Glynnis,
some links here you may find of interest:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_12502.asp
andrew

Mo Green
08-11-2004, 11:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by David
Glynnis
If you like Italian food you should try to take in "MAMMAS" on McCall road near Tiffany Square. Its a locals favorite and I highly recommend it. Get there early as it is always full.
David
[/quote]

At Mammas try the Joe Special pizza. I can guarantee you will need a 'doggy-bag'. No credit cards, cash only.

Also Lickerty Split Café – Tiffany Square, S. McCall Road – stuck in a 1950’s time warp with seats looking like old cars! Great for snacks and ice cream. Try the sweet-potato fries with sugar and cinnamon, yummy.