PDA

View Full Version : CYNICS THREAD

John Boy
06-11-2004, 04:08
<span style=&#39;color:red&#39;><span style=&#39;color:red&#39;>Forget all have written below as it is proving that there are not many people on this site that are capable of showing niceness to others so I have changed the topic to.

CYNICS THREAD

As there only seems to be people on this site that enjoy tearing down other peoples good thoughts or making fun of it for their own warped sence

So Cynics, you win have fun.</span id=&#39;red&#39;>

PS John should you wish to delete this thread go ahead it won&#39;t make much differance</span id=&#39;red&#39;>

I first printed the following story to pass on a feel-good story that was sent to me some years ago.

I put it under the heading

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

But it was shot down as being false so I have changed the heading of the thread to THE FEEL GOOD STORIES THREAD

True or not lets all feel good for a while and not have our feel good factor shattered by party poopers

So to you who know different as to these stories being true or not

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF PLEASE

<span style=&#39;font-family:Tahoma&#39;><span style=&#39;color:blue&#39;>His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog. There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman&#39;s sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.

&#39;I want to repay you,&#39; said the nobleman. &#39;You saved my son&#39;s life.&#39;

&#39;No, I can&#39;t accept payment for what I did,&#39; the Scottish farmer replied waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer&#39;s own son came to the door of the family hovel.

&#39;Is that your son?&#39; the nobleman asked.

&#39;Yes,&#39; the farmer replied proudly.

&#39;I&#39;ll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education my own son will enjoy. If the lad is anything like his father, he&#39;ll no doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of.&#39; And that he did.

Farmer Fleming&#39;s son attended the very best schools and in time, graduated from St. Mary&#39;s Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the same nobleman&#39;s son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia.

What saved his life this time? Penicillin.
The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. ´
His son&#39;s name? Sir Winston Churchill.
Someone once said: What goes around comes around. </span id=&#39;blue&#39;> </span id=&#39;Tahoma&#39;>

LiesaAnna
06-11-2004, 12:37
Just learnt something new!!!!!
Thanks John![msnwink]

still waiting for my "comes around"[msnwink]

eagleydo
06-11-2004, 13:52
NEVER KNEW THIS, EITHER, THANK YOU FOR TELLING US.

Kissyme
06-11-2004, 13:54
A great sentiment Johnboy and something I wholeheartedly subscribe to.
Great story, Liesa`s right.

Ray&Sarah
06-11-2004, 15:17
Thats something else new i've learnt from this forum, thanks John.[msnsmile2]

Fletch
06-11-2004, 16:15
I've gone all goose pimply! I've always believed in karma - lovely to read an example of it.[angel]

Chloe
07-11-2004, 00:28
Thats amazing and remarkable. Chloe

gromit
07-11-2004, 16:51
I love reaing stories like that. I believe it's true that what comes around goes around.....

jolliffee
07-11-2004, 18:37
Sorry to be the party pooper but while these things are cute I wonder why they are written since they don&'t actually represent the facts of either of these great men.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/bmflem.html

John Boy
08-11-2004, 01:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Sorry to be the party pooper but while these things are cute I wonder why they are written since they don&'t actually represent the facts of either of these great men.

[/quote]

OHH THANKS jolliffee

That came to me from a friend in a time that I was feeling down and it helped it was not sent as CHAIN MAIL

Once again good thoughts shattered by a do-gooder

As for "why they are written"? I would like to think that it was done to make people feel as good as I did and all the others that have read it previous to you.

Keep up the good work jolliffee, and don't forget to turn the lights out before you leave the building

eagleydo
08-11-2004, 02:30
I felt good when I read this and believe this was the point John Boy was passing on. Shame if not true, but to be honest during my life I have often found this principle to be true.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Boy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee

[/quote]

OHH THANKS jolliffee

That came to me from a friend in a time that I was feeling down and it helped it was not sent as CHAIN MAIL

Once again good thoughts shattered by a do-gooder

As for "why they are written"? I would like to think that it was done to make people feel as good as I did and all the others that have read it previous to you.

Keep up the good work jolliffee, and don't forget to turn the lights out before you leave the building
[/quote]

MaggieAllan
08-11-2004, 02:51
If someone makes someone else feels good and warm inside, brings a smile to their face, well what can be bad about that.

the trouble today is we all see see more in media, know more about what is going on, which in itself is marvelous and a step forwards, but we seem to have forgotten the 'good news' items that always brought a bit of lighthearted entertainment at the end of what is always going to be bad news.

Not getting at anybody, the reality is we live in an ever depressing set of circumstances, so IMO the more articles/news/stories we get to lighten the load the better.

John Boy
08-11-2004, 03:16
Lets have more feel good stories folks True or not
If it makes you feel good and you think it will make us feel good
Then Print it here

MaggieAllan
08-11-2004, 03:19
Then Print it here
[/quote]
Are you the real John Boy...now that's heartwarming

John Boy
08-11-2004, 03:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
Then Print it here
[/quote]
Are you the real John Boy...now that's heartwarming
[/quote]

NOW THATS ANOTHER STORY[msnwink]

Nostromo
08-11-2004, 14:23
Sounds like something right out of "The Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits". In fact, if I am not mistaken, one or the other of those episodes copied this real life story into one of their own, but changed it to a little boy who becomes a neurosurgeon and eventually removes a brain tumour from the guy who saved his life as a boy. Somethimes, truth can really be stranger than fiction.

jolliffee
08-11-2004, 14:43
"Women in Afghanistan desperately need my help."

"The Dalai Lama wants me to spread the message of love to 96 people immediately, following which I can help myself to a week's worth of good fortune."

"Tommy Smith, a ten-year-old in Oregon, needs my prayers (and a dollar if I have it) to help him recover from a recent surgery."

"I can send a message to 40 people I know, and save three people in Vietnam from dying of starvation."

The thing about chain letters that annoy most people is the ease with which they spread, clogging mailboxes, wreaking havoc, leaving servers open to virus attacks, and basically just getting in the way of routine mail checks.

Unlike our obsolete postal service, the Internet as a medium makes it incredibly easy to send a message to an unlimited number of people, all with a mere click. Recognising the threat to security, lots of online services prohibit these letters. As you and I know very well, however, they're far from over.

The Curse of a Thousand Chain Letters calls itself an 'e-mail house of horrors', explaining the dangers of e-mail forwards and offering you lots of frightening examples. An important issue it brings up is that since chain letter technology has become more dangerous, some of them can cause tremendous damage when opened. Remember the 'I Love You' virus?

So what are they, really, apart from annoyances you wish you didn't have to deal with on a regular basis? The types of email chain letters are: Generic Chain Letters (which are relatively harmless), Entertaining Chain Letters (the most common, that usually just tell a joke or funny story), and Hoaxes. The latter are the most serious, relying usually on trickery to force messages along to others. Some are alarming in tone, others confuse you into forwarding them, and still others employ cheap lies like that of 'suffering children' to get sympathy.

Yet another site to check out is 'Vmyths', that lets you learn all you ever wanted to about computer virus myths, hoaxes, urban legends, hysteria, and their implications. Apart from a searchable alphabetical list of computer virus hoaxes, it has a comprehensive FAQ that tackles common queries like 'How can I quickly tell if a chain-letter virus alert is a hoax?', 'I received a virus alert from an authoritative source. Should I forward it to my friends?', and 'How often do you scan for viruses?'

Then, in keeping with a wish you and I have probably had for a long time, Chain Letters Central gives you access to an archive of over 1169 chain letters, jokes, forwards, fake virus warnings, surveys, petitions, ASCII art, and every other form of 'e-mail junk imaginable.' It helps because you can check mail you've just received and see whether or not it's a hoax. It also enables you to pick one you 'like' and mail it to someone. What you send depends on your own degree of malevolence, of course.

Some theories surrounding the creation of these chain letters suggest the incorporation of Urban Legends, those archetypal tales that spread in varying forms containing elements of anything from horror and humour to the rules societies live by. The archives here cover legends in topics as diverse as books, children, politics, religion, science, animals, and classics.

The Internet, needless to say, spawns dozens of sites that inform, warn, and analyse these letters, hoaxes, viruses or whatever you wish to call them. A column by David Spalding called Hoax du Jour for example, makes you privy to the latest hoaxes and 'cyberban' legends. Email Folklore is a fairly large collection of frequently forwarded mail, organised by subject. On another note, The Truth about Chain Letters actually delves into how some of these letters can be used -- and are-- to make money.

If you're completely uninterested in the phenomenon, an anti-chain letter article entitled 'Chain Letters and How to Defeat Them' should help. It also has a lot of links you could check out.

As for me, I've become a cynic.

I don't patronise forwards, refuse to help kids in distress, and ev

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 15:11
Lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jolliffee
08-11-2004, 15:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
Lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Opps! that was me being light...[msnsmile2]

Fletch
08-11-2004, 16:19
This may be yet another "urban myth", but I like the ethic behind it.

Several years ago I read that, somewhere in the USA, a motorist once paid for the vehicle behind him when passing through a toll gate (he didn't know the people behind him, he just wanted to do something to brighten someone's day!). Rumour has it that the guy in the car behind was so touched, the following day he did the same thing for the person behind him at the toll, and now it has become standard practice for everyone passing through that toll to automatically pay for the car behind them.

As I say, I don't know whether it's true or not, but [clap][clap][clap][angel][grouphug][grouphug]

Spread a little happiness every day and it will return to you twofold.

stabard
08-11-2004, 16:49
I have to agree that the general principal is still be good to each other and good things will come back to you. Make someone smile today[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 17:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
I have to agree that the general principal is still be good to each other and good things will come back to you. Make someone smile today[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Got the kids up for school!! what more do you want????????????????????????

John Boy
08-11-2004, 17:36
Good God jolliffee

You are more off the mark than I thought possable
This is not about CHAIN MAIL its about feeling good. and if that is you being light! I would hate to get into a deep and meaningful conversation with you.

Chill out, have a drink, sit by the pool and watch a bit of the world go by

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 17:47
my intentions from the 1st Dec!!!!!!! :D

chrizzy100
08-11-2004, 17:58
Then Print it here
[/quote]

We went to a party this weekend......a few good things......one of the ladies there becomes an American this week......she came over from Eastern Europe 20 years ago....after that she is getting married to her long time American boyfriend......
My hubbys boss is clear of cancer....and his wife is having a new baby......

An online friend is reunited with some family in Iraq .....he is a USA airline pilot call Mohamad.......after 9/11 he did leave the USA to fly with a middle eastern airline......but now hes back in the USA....but hes going to change his name to Fred......because the stick he gets from the crew is driving him insane.....lol!

Oh yes I will add that my best friends on the Cape.....Mohamed.....(a different one from the other one)......and his wife Hadel...are having their first much wanted baby next march.....a girl.....I can't wait to take her to Disney for the first time....Disney baby shops here I came..[msnsmile2]

Robert5988
08-11-2004, 18:27
Well I have to say I agree in principle with Jolliffe(Dave). I cannot see the point in reporting fiction as if it is fact. I also cannot see how an untrue story(and there have countless versions of this fable)being perpetuated like this makes anyone ‘feel good’.
Also it detracts from those genuine examples of human kindness that appear mundane in comparison to the invented variety.

It also seems to me that such a thread is irrelevant to Florida and is an ideal candidate for the ‘Off Topic’ area. Although it is not an area I choose to visit much, if it makes people feel better I will undertake to post some heart-warming but equally false stories like: - the little blind African girl rescued from certain death - is cured of blindness - becomes a surgeon – saves the life of – you guessed it – her rescuer!!

agod
08-11-2004, 20:18
Hi John Boy

Without blowing my own trumpet, why not take a look at this thread,
as it happened on this forum and everyone here knows about it.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=10382

I am still waiting for my come around, as this has been one of the worst years of my life.

Alan

linda.s
08-11-2004, 20:54
I have to disagree with the cynics on here I'm afraid - I'm with John Boy!

What is wrong with reading something to make you feel good, even though it's known to be fake? John did make the fact that it probably was an urban myth in the original post. OK, so it's not true, but sometimes just the belief that good things might and do occasionally happen, is enough to bring a smile to peoples faces. I read Alan's thread as above from beginning to end, and it did help to restore my faith in human nuture, which has sadly dimished over the last few years.

Let's also remember that many people read fiction daily, to escape from the daily monotony. OK, I tend to read horror or thrillers, but I'm not adverse to reading a good romance, or true life story if I need cheering up! Fiction is part of our lives, let's try to escape reality sometimes eh?

Fletch
08-11-2004, 21:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by agod
Hi John Boy

I am still waiting for my come around, as this has been one of the worst years of my life.

Alan
[/quote]

Alan

Have just read the thread above. Rest assured, it will come back to you one day. I too have had a terrible year this year, but (and I know this is a terrible cliche), I really believe that we would not appreciate the wonderful times in our lives without some down times too. Keep on being yourself and you won't go far wrong from what I have read.[clap]

Robert5988
08-11-2004, 21:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I have to disagree with the cynics on here I'm afraid - I'm with John Boy!

What is wrong with reading something to make you feel good, even though it's known to be fake? John did make the fact that it probably was an urban myth in the original post. OK, so it's not true, but sometimes just the belief that good things might and do occasionally happen, is enough to bring a smile to peoples faces. I read Alan's thread as above from beginning to end, and it did help to restore my faith in human nuture, which has sadly dimished over the last few years.

Let's also remember that many people read fiction daily, to escape from the daily monotony. OK, I tend to read horror or thrillers, but I'm not adverse to reading a good romance, or true life story if I need cheering up! Fiction is part of our lives, let's try to escape reality sometimes eh?[/quote]
Linda,
What are you disagreeing about?

John Boy has edited his initial post a number of times. If I recall correctly his original post did not acknowledge that the story was an Urban Myth – look at the tone of the subsequent posts – “that’s amazing and remarkable etc etc.” It was edited only after the posts by Jolliffee and Blott cast doubt on the veracity of the story.

I really fail therefore to see why people who point out the truth are labelled as Cynics.

Of course people read fiction daily and why shouldn’t they? Ditto, thou shalt do good deeds unto others etc – wonderful Christian principle. Don’t spread untruths is another good principle!!

Above all what has the story – even if it were true – got to do with a ‘General Chat’ forum on Florida?

Robert

Southsider
08-11-2004, 22:15
This thread should be moved to the 'Off Topic Forum', it has nothing to do with Florida. [V]

Tricia

John Boy
08-11-2004, 22:44
Hi John Boy

Alan
[/quote]

Without saying too much Alan
You are one in a MILLION if ever you come to my part of the world or we are in Florida at the same time I would like to buy you a beer or two

John Boy
08-11-2004, 22:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider

This thread should be moved to the 'Off Topic Forum', it has nothing to do with Florida. [V]

Tricia
[/quote]

True Tricia if I had known about the Off Topic forum (as this is something I have not been into before) I would have put it in there

So if you and Robert will stop busting my chops over this fact and DM john to move it I have no objections

Oh oh thats another line for people to have a go at me.

John Boy
08-11-2004, 22:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider

Tricia
[/quote]

True Tricia if I had known about the Off Topic forum (as this is something I have not been into before) I would have put it in there

So if you and Robert will stop busting my chops over this fact and DM john to move it I have no objections

Oh oh thats another line for people to have a go at me.
[/quote]

Was that you BLOTT!!!!!

Many Thanks for the move

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 23:05
welcome to the "off topic" forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you chat away John about whatever you want in here!! and if its not liked then "they" can leave the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![msnwink]

Lynne S
08-11-2004, 23:19
Here, Here Liesa. Well said [clap][clap][clap][msnwink]Nothing wrong with being happy [msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 23:36
and i'm always happy arent i??????????????
[msnwink]

Lynne S
08-11-2004, 23:38
Yep, I'll second that [msnwink][msnwink][msnwink] And me too, most of the time
[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 23:40
but not tonite?

Lynne S
08-11-2004, 23:41
I'm ok now, you've made me smile thanks Liesa[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 23:43
and how did i do that? where was i??? and when????[grouphug]

linda.s
08-11-2004, 23:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I have to disagree with the cynics on here I'm afraid - I'm with John Boy!

Let's also remember that many people read fiction daily, to escape from the daily monotony. OK, I tend to read horror or thrillers, but I'm not adverse to reading a good romance, or true life story if I need cheering up! Fiction is part of our lives, let's try to escape reality sometimes eh?[/quote]
Linda,
What are you disagreeing about?

John Boy has edited his initial post a number of times. If I recall correctly his original post did not acknowledge that the story was an Urban Myth – look at the tone of the subsequent posts – “that’s amazing and remarkable etc etc.” It was edited only after the posts by Jolliffee and Blott cast doubt on the veracity of the story.

I really fail therefore to see why people who point out the truth are labelled as Cynics.

Of course people read fiction daily and why shouldn’t they? Ditto, thou shalt do good deeds unto others etc – wonderful Christian principle. Don’t spread untruths is another good principle!!

Above all what has the story – even if it were true – got to do with a ‘General Chat’ forum on Florida?

Robert

[/quote]

Then my apologies are offered for my failing to notice that the topic had been edited several times. My use of the word cynic was tongue in cheek, based on John note changing the heading of this thread. I also agree that this should have been initially posted on the off topic thread, and as this has now been moved, I am sure that it will no longer be a problem.

Lynne S
08-11-2004, 23:46
When you called for me, to come out and play [msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]
You are mad !!!!! Hattie (Liesa) [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
08-11-2004, 23:48
feel like we should ve started our own page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you had your dinner?
would you like to come down for coffee????????????[msnwink]

only 22 days.......................[msncry]

sharondl
09-11-2004, 01:35
A smile is passsed from one to another, misery spreads like a disease

don't let it spread

I spend all day dealing with customer who twist, moan and are so depressing that I should slit my wrists but I once read somewhere if you are a happy person and some miserable pig tries to spoil your day and bring you down to there level, be pleasant and smile, the smile either rubs off on them or makes them worse. If it makes them worse then just feel sorry for them and be glad your life is better

sharon

agod
09-11-2004, 01:46
Thanks John Boy

I would take you up on that, but I gave up after my first wife became an alcoholic, and drunk the pub we had dry.

But I do love a nice Havana cigar, that I would appreciate more.[msnwink]

Alan

gromit
09-11-2004, 03:12
All I will say is be happy everyone!!! Before anyone hammers that one down, I have had real ups and downs in my life which I won't go into details about here. However, whenever something bad happens and you feel like all the doors are closing on you, even if there's a bit of a wait, the windows will open up!!!:):):):):):):)

E. Cosgrove
09-11-2004, 03:15
I don't need to read the link Alan, I remember watching that story unfold and I had tears in my eyes at the time. You have every right to " blow your own trumpet"[clap][clap][clap][clap]
I hope soon some of that good fortune visits you, you deserve it.[msnsmile] Good Luck
Hi John Boy

Alan
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
09-11-2004, 03:16
i do try to believe that, but as of yet am still awaiting, perhaps the very fact thati'm alive and well, my family are alive and healthy! and i have everything (other then my own villa in you know where)am a happy bunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Boy
09-11-2004, 03:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sharondl
A smile is passsed from one to another, misery spreads like a disease

don't let it spread

I spend all day dealing with customer who twist, moan and are so depressing that I should slit my wrists but I once read somewhere if you are a happy person and some miserable pig tries to spoil your day and bring you down to there level, be pleasant and smile, the smile either rubs off on them or makes them worse. If it makes them worse then just feel sorry for them and be glad your life is better

sharon

[/quote]

I do this in the car when someone shows road rage I smile or if they are really mad I blow them a kiss

They either have a good giggle or get really really mad and I have to put my advanced driving skills into action!! You know put peddle to the mettal and hope for the best[msnscared]

John Boy
09-11-2004, 03:20
Thanks John Boy

I would take you up on that, but I gave up after my first wife became an alcoholic, and drunk the pub we had dry.

But I do love a nice Havana cigar, that I would appreciate more.[msnwink]

Alan
[/quote]

It would be my pleasure Alan

Ray&Sarah
09-11-2004, 03:21
Its like that advert on the TV, "pass it on".

Alan, you really do deserve your share of "what goes around", after your wonderful gesture, hope your luck changes soon.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
09-11-2004, 17:44
We have always done the Pay it Forward thing......we do something for someone........and they then in return help someone else......

ctgirlscout
10-11-2004, 23:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
We have always done the Pay it Forward thing......we do something for someone........and they then in return help someone else......
[/quote]

We always say the same thing, when someone wants to repay a favor...I always tell them to do something nice for someone else. Hope they do it!

agod
11-11-2004, 03:42
Thanks Again everyone, it is just that there are millions of people in this world who are working tirelessly for some good cause or another, and never get any praise, if you take the people on this Forum, there is more good will than there is bad. otherwise they would not be here offering advice, it is just a few that spoil it, and we know by there postings who they are.

Alan