PDA

View Full Version : Kiddie and family - 18th Oct-2nd Nov 2004

Kiddie001
04-11-2004, 18:17
Day 1
Travelling all went to plan, waking kids up at 2.30am to get to Cardiff for our 6am transfer flight to Amsterdam, to pick up the 11.25 Martinair flight to Orlando International. Arrived excited and tired mid afternoon Florida time, after the usual
“would you like to upgrade”, and when I declined then being told there were none of our size cars left
we were upgraded free of charge to a humungous Buick SUV. Getting used to an automatic coming out of the multi storey down a tight spiral ramp was not fun after 12 hours travelling.
1st taste of US road signs (or lack of!), it really would be handy to get some advance warning of junctions, and to see where you are going other than “4 south” or “192 east” etc, anyway found the hotel on the 192 to pick the villa keys up, proceeded to our villa in Orange Tree via a short stop for essentials at Publix.
As soon as we arrived, kids straight in the pool, kettle on “where did we put the tea bags?”. Considering it was 11.30 at night in UK time the kids were running around like whirling dervishes, Lucy managed to run straight into the closed patio door, bouncing about six feet backwards – ouch!
Eventually got them semi settled and the boys discovered the PS2. nasty old me then confiscated the controllers.
Everyone eventually asleep – bliss!

Day 2
Matthew and Lucy awake at 5.30am, still investigating all the nooks and crannies in the villa and finding Disney channel, Nickelodeon and Fox kids on the TV.
Stuart then surfaced and asked if they could get in the pool at 6.30am. nasty old me again when I said no, not yet.
Decided to just try and find our bearings for the day, so after the kids had a go in the pool (when they also found the frog living in the pool drain), we went off out in the car for a drive around. Found International Drive, had fun looking at the buildings etc, decided to visit Florida Mall. Boys got themselves Converse basketball shoes, Lucy got a free makeover, all had snacks in the foodcourt (Inevitably Burgers for the boys!), and got seriously ripped off with an ice cream stall, didn’t realise till we got them that they were $5 each! Boys found some cheap playstation games, Lucy came away with loads of makeup etc, and I came out with an empty wallet.
Walking round it took me a while to realise what was missing – no cig butts on the pavement or in the flower beds. Perhaps the lizards take them away for nesting materials.
Got totally lost trying to get home and ended up in a very rough looking neighbourhood before rounding of the day with a MacDonalds (that’s got that out of the way!), realised that the boys had eaten burgers twice today, swim in the pool and bed.

Day 3
Today is Magic Kingdom day !
Raining when we arrived, was determined not to let it spoil things, so I didn’t put my pack-a-mack on which worked, as it stopped raining and the sun came out (apart from an evening thunderstorm this was the only rain in our fortnight). Kids got their 1st of many autographs from the Mayor and we headed to the top of the park like all the guide books say. Split up for a while with me taking 6 year old Lucy on the teacups, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh etc and Diane taking Stuart(12) and Matthew(10) off to Thunder Montain, haunted House and Splash mountain.
Met up again, Hot Dog for lunch then off to the excellent 3d show, all of us on Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, then off to Future world.
Mid afternoon by now with everyone flagging, so its off to the villa and the pool, followed by an enormous Chinese home delivery.
Day 4.
Stuart is grumpy, tired and his feet hurt, so we decide to stay in the villa for the morning, then its off to Blizzard Beach, we had luckily found out that it was closing the first weekend, so we made sure we got there in the first week.
As we didn’t arrive till the afternoon the queues for the big rides were enormous, which set grumpy Stuart off again, who got changed after half an hour and sat in the beach chair fully clothed for the remainder of the day.
The rest of us got stuck in, particularly enjoying the lazy creek

Nostromo
04-11-2004, 18:37
Great report Ian. I know that road signs in the US can be confusing for a first time driver there, but once you get used to them they leave the poor UK sysytem far behind. One exception is within Disney property itself, where the purple signs are poorly laid out and confusing.

I am glad you liked the Orange Tree community. We stayed there ourselves earlier this year and thought it was an excellent neighbourhood.

I noted that your kids enjoyed Disney Quest. You would not get me on that Alladin thing again for a million bucks! Thise VR masks make me feel suffocated and dizzy. Cyberspace Mountain was almost as bad in its own way.

I agree with you 100% that MGM's Backstage Tour is less than a shadow of what it used to be. When we did it in 1995, it took us over 90 minutes and I recall watching and speaking to many cartoonists at work. It was a pathetic show this year. I suppose CGA has changed all that.:(

You mentioned that your wife and you like 'different' types of scenery. In that case, try to keep some time aside to visit Florida's EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK at leisure on your next trip. It is worth it and is certainly different.

chrizzy100
04-11-2004, 18:44
I hate US road signs....always to late with little or no info on them.......I still hate turning left after being here 5 years....

Ray&Sarah
04-11-2004, 20:22
Great report Ian. Must be something in the name, we have a 12 year old Stuart who does a good "Kevin" impersonation as well!!!:D

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 21:02
Thanks Ian, Di,stuart, matthew, and Lucy,
sounds like you've had a really great holiday!!!!!!!!!
lovely trip report!!!!!!:)

andrewmckay5
04-11-2004, 23:03
Nice report Ian.
Agree with you on Carrabbas.
andrew

Mrs-PRG7000
13-11-2004, 00:33
[clap]Great trip report, it makes me realise how much we still have to see.... next time [msneek]

traceya89
15-11-2004, 02:21
To get your moneys worth out of tickets i do think it is best to stick to either doing disney or the other parks on the flex ticket. It would be nice if you could get a 10 day ticket to include disney and universal but as they are competetitors against each other I doubt this would ever be on sale.

rosie
15-11-2004, 02:56
Great report Ian, brought back memories of our "Kevin" doing the exact same thing at a water park in Ibiza a few years ago :D

kaysvacationvilla
15-11-2004, 04:21
Great Report!! Glad you enjoyed your trip. By the way, who is "Kevin"

rosie
15-11-2004, 11:41
Kay,

"Kevin" was a comedy character on brit TV, a typical teenage boy, surly and with a big chip on his shoulder who just gives grunts for answers. His character has become a euphonism for boys of a certain age..... :D