PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen size in villas

Ian M
02-11-2004, 19:49
Hi to everyone out there. I hope you can assist me with the following. We are a party of 6 and are looking to rent a 4 bedroom Orlando villa in November of next year, 2005. However, what we want is one with a large kitchen with plenty of work surfaces for cooking, dishing up etc. Most of the villa's we've looked at seem to have very small kitchens with all of the space taken up with appliances and therefore no real worktop space. Any ideas for places that would suit us?

.... and before you all say that we should be barbecuing or eating out, one of our party fancies themselves as a gourmet cook and therefore we are compelled to take advantage of this whilst we are on holiday!

agod
02-11-2004, 19:57
Hi Ian

I think you would have to keep looking, I am sure you will find it, but you might have to go to a bigger villa, which has larger square footage, and generally a bigger kitchen, as an ex cook, my own 7 bed villa's kitchen is too large for me, as all that walking around, is not my cup of tea, I prefer a small kitchen where I can get hold of things easily.

Alan

Carla
02-11-2004, 20:05
Ian, there is actually a wealth of space in majority of kitchens regardless of villa size. As owners we tend to "decorate" the worktops with extra appliances etc. so that we can both show off our wares and ensure that the kitchen doesn't look bare.

Just get your friend to put away, in one of the many cupboards, what s/he doesn't need, then s/he'll have loads of prep and serving space. Most also have an extra breakfast bar too. Plus, with a gourmet meal you'd be eating in the Dining room in style, therefore s/he'd also have the breakfast table as extra workspace.:D:D:D

christhear
02-11-2004, 20:10
Ian

The majority of kitchens may look small but I think there are many like mione that have an area that is a breakfast bar / work surface. I found that there were more work surfaces in my Florida villa than I have in my UK kitchen. Also the kitchen seem to have a lot more little appliances than we do in the UK, so if these were put away you would probably have a lot more space.

Ian M
02-11-2004, 20:13
Carla - we've had a couple of 4 bedroom villas in the last few years at Indian Wells and Town Centre, and unfortunately, neither had enough worktop space for more than 2 dinner plates side by side. Both had a couple of feet of space next to the sink, plus another foot either side of the cooker which would not be sufficient. I'd therefore rather not chance getting it wrong, otherwise my friend may not want to cook for us at all !

chrizzy100
02-11-2004, 20:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ian M
Hi to everyone out there. I hope you can assist me with the following. We are a party of 6 and are looking to rent a 4 bedroom Orlando villa in November of next year, 2005. However, what we want is one with a large kitchen with plenty of work surfaces for cooking, dishing up etc. Most of the villa's we've looked at seem to have very small kitchens with all of the space taken up with appliances and therefore no real worktop space. Any ideas for places that would suit us?

.... and before you all say that we should be barbecuing or eating out, one of our party fancies themselves as a gourmet cook and therefore we are compelled to take advantage of this whilst we are on holiday!
[/quote]

I know what you mean about space being taken up......I don't have much free workspace in my place......but to me its a big kitchen.......
Maybe its worth looking at a bigger house......??

There is a house on this site with an outdoor kitchen...that could be worth looking at.....!

andrewmckay5
02-11-2004, 20:50
Ian,
if the villa photos aren't clear ask the owner if they have an "island" as below. This might be the answer.
andrew

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2004112165031_ov.JPG

ClareC
02-11-2004, 20:58
Hi Ian,

Wow, wouldn't I like to go on holiday with a gourmet chef. Sounds like dream![msnsmile2]

Why don't you send a general enquiry to these sites and ask specifically for a large kitchen. Hopefully you'll then only hear from people wth a suitable home. Not all owners have kitchen photographs on their advert here but if you find a home you like you could ask the owner if they have any other photographs for you to see.

Good luck in your search.

Nostromo
02-11-2004, 21:25
In general, I found American kitchens smaller than their UK counterparts relative to the size of the house. The feeling is augmented by the 'open plan' design. Having said that, there were 7 of us in the Orlando villa and did not have any problem with using the smallish kitchen. So, even though they are small, most American kitchens seem to be well designed and easy to use. Since you don't have the problem of storing bulky kitchen/pantry items whilst on holiday, most villa kitchens should be more than enough for anyone.

LiesaAnna
02-11-2004, 22:30
i like the kitchen sizes, but i can see where Ian is coming from, and the kitchen that Andrew has shown has the WOW factor!!!!!!! but we dont like eating in when on holiday!!!!!!!![msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
02-11-2004, 23:06
Is that your kitchen Andrew? It looks lovely, far too nice to clutter up with all the mess I make when cooking![msneek]
[quote]Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Ian,
if the villa photos aren't clear ask the owner if they have an "island" as below. This might be the answer.
andrew

andrewmckay5
02-11-2004, 23:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Is that your kitchen Andrew? It looks lovely, far too nice to clutter up with all the mess I make when cooking![msneek]

Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Ian,
andrew

Yes but its on the Gulf so no good for Ian.

Mo Green
02-11-2004, 23:22
Ian I would ask for details and a picture of the kitchen. We have a large kitchen with plenty of work tops but only a 3 bed villa so you don't necessarily need a larger villa. If your friend is a gourmet cook I would also ask if the kitchen is fully equipped with utensils, dishes etc

chrizzy100
02-11-2004, 23:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
In general, I found American kitchens smaller than their UK counterparts relative to the size of the house. The feeling is augmented by the 'open plan' design. Having said that, there were 7 of us in the Orlando villa and did not have any problem with using the smallish kitchen. So, even though they are small, most American kitchens seem to be well designed and easy to use. Since you don't have the problem of storing bulky kitchen/pantry items whilst on holiday, most villa kitchens should be more than enough for anyone.
[/quote]

I've been told by family members both in the USA and Canada that when they had houses built here....they had large kitchen put in.....and they turned out to be a waste of space and in some cases even made the house hard to sell...

pbensur
03-11-2004, 01:47
Ian,
If it's an eat-in kitchen, you can use the table for a work surface as well.

agod
03-11-2004, 04:06
Hi Ian

I have been a cook in the Merchant navy, and beleive me I have cooked a 3 course meal for 16 in this one, beleive me its big enough, in fact its a pain having to walk across it.

I think the point about having all the right equipement is more valid, than the size of your kitchen[msnsmile2]

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/agod/20041130558_kitchen.jpg

dan
03-11-2004, 18:17
Ian, I would agree with Clare. Put an enquiry out for the size of villa you require on Orlando Villas or Online Florida Villas etc and in the comments box state your requirements i.e. ample work surface, large kitchen and kitchen utensils etc. You can also request additional photos of the kitchen area too.

I'm sure you will be surprised with the response you'll get

Rich-n-Ang
03-11-2004, 18:28
Just a thought on a related matter - When a Villa size is stated as 7 Bed Villa/Sleeps 16 for example, do they actually have enough Plates/Cups/Bowls/Cutlery for 16 people to all eat at the same time ?

Snapper
03-11-2004, 18:58
Hey Uncle Alan; does your villa have a gas cooker?

Ann
03-11-2004, 19:13
my villa sleeps 8 and i have enough dishes for 16 people double the amount i should need so this also takes into account if there are dishes in the washer
i would asume most owners will be the same more rather than less

pbensur
03-11-2004, 19:30
My thinking is that if your villa can sleep 16 then you need to be able to accommodate 16 in every sense. I would imagine that there should be more than enough dishes, towels etc.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
Just a thought on a related matter - When a Villa size is stated as 7 Bed Villa/Sleeps 16 for example, do they actually have enough Plates/Cups/Bowls/Cutlery for 16 people to all eat at the same time ?
[/quote]

agod
03-11-2004, 20:35
Yes you are all right, 16 people actually equals 32 plates, and cutlery and towels, and more of everything, so that while some are stacked in the dishwasher, there are still enough to eat of off,
If you look at my pool area it has seating for 16 as well, the breakfast table takes 8 and the outside table can take the same plus small table and a breakfast bar that takes 6, you really have to think about a housful and how they would manage,

Yes it is gas, and it has a lovely convection oven, to do all those Roasties in, plus an enormous American fridge freezer, and the biggest wok in the world[msnwink]

Alan

Snapper
03-11-2004, 21:04
Ian - that could be something else you might enquire after when finding your villa.

No aspiring Michelin chef is going to be happy cooking on an electric cooker.

chrizzy100
03-11-2004, 21:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Ian - that could be something else you might enquire after when finding your villa.

No aspiring Michelin chef is going to be happy cooking on an electric cooker.
[/quote]

My mum hates cooking on electric.......not that she can cook.....she burned our new cooker 4 hours after it was put in.....I thought my husband would kill her......

Champagne
03-11-2004, 21:45
Hi Ian - we have an 'island' in our kitchen, space under our wine rack and space alongside the kitchen walls under our cabinets. Plus great views from the kitchen through our 'aquarium' window to the pool and spa beyond so that your gourmet chef can watch all the action!

It's a five bedroom villa though not four!

andreah
04-11-2004, 13:48
I am afraid I love cooking and so my kitchen is fully equiped. I hate electric so I have a glass top cooker which is almost as controllable as gas (well nearly).

I have sabatier knives and plenty of work top!

We do eat out on holiday as well though.... I promise! [msnwink]

blott
04-11-2004, 16:36
Personally, I'd have said that American kitchens in general tend to be bigger than the usual size UK kitchen and generally have lots more space. They are also at least as fully equipped as your own UK kitchen would be for appliances, utensils, etc so you shouldn't have any problem at all with any Florida home for cooking facilities.

chrizzy100
04-11-2004, 17:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andreah
I am afraid I love cooking and so my kitchen is fully equiped. I hate electric so I have a glass top cooker which is almost as controllable as gas (well nearly).

I have sabatier knives and plenty of work top!

We do eat out on holiday as well though.... I promise! [msnwink]
[/quote]

Apart from the one meal when my mother burnt the glass top of the stove.....we've never used our cooker on holiday....its so much cheaper to eat out.....we use the kettle....the toaster....and the coffee maker....it fact we have started to eat out at home now....because most of the time its just the 2 of us.....which makes for a nice evening out....[msnsmile]

Mo Green
04-11-2004, 19:56
Although we have plenty of restaurants close by, our cooker does get used as we do also enjoy sampling food from our local Winn Dixie and Publix supermarkets, local grown produce at the Farmers Market or fresh fish from the fish market. When friends stay the kitchen is large enough for everyone to help with the preparation so it is not a chore. A leisurely meal with good friends, good wine sitting outside by the pool on a warm tropical evening watching the fire-flys on the pool screen and listening to the various noises and rustles from the undergrowth on our spare plot next door takes some beating.

Also, being on the coast we do have 'snow-birds' staying for a month or more who do not want to eat out every day so our kitchen caters for anything from warming up a pizza to cooking a full roast.

Cruella DeVilla
05-11-2004, 07:33
Yes it is gas, and it has a lovely convection oven, to do all those Roasties in, plus an enormous American fridge freezer, and the biggest wok in the world[msnwink]

Alan
[/quote]

Hey Alan,

What you doing Xmas Day;);)

pt cruiser
05-11-2004, 15:47
Me, i don't care what size the kitchen is, don't go near it, i'm on holiday[laugh].
Teresa

agod
05-11-2004, 16:24
Nothing Jackie, heres a funny story though, a mate of mine married a woman half his age, a lovely blonde, ex-dancer, and he had installed the most expensive kitchen I have seen, all Stainless steel, and a masive range and built in deep fat fryer and griddle, absolutely everything in it, I went over one Christmas and could'nt beleive it, but she had never so much as boiled an egg on it, it was brand new 2 years after being installed, stil had its labels on it, Now I am different, I love cooking, so I cooked them the full Christmas dinner on it, the full monty, I loved it, needless to say I got invited around quite a lot of times, after that, this year she got the bug and has started using it, not very well bless her, but she tries.

Alan

Ian M
05-11-2004, 16:37
Guys, I just wanted to thank you all for your helpful hints and suggestions in relation to my original enquiry. Once I've sorted out my flights for next November, I think I'll now put out a general enquiry on this site for my kitchen requirements and see what comes back. As a first time user on this site, I think I've struck gold, and it's apparent that you are all people who really seem to care about each other and those who seek your help. Keep up the good work.

..........and by the way, how do you find the time to post so many responses. Don't you have jobs to go to!

Best wishes.

amy
05-11-2004, 16:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by Ian M

..........and by the way, how do you find the time to post so many responses. Don't you have jobs to go to!

Best wishes.
[/quote]

A lot of us sit at home all day, some work funny hours,some are in the US and a lot just have a peep whilst the boss is not looking, unless they are the boss and therefore can be here all day:D

agod
05-11-2004, 17:43
I'm the Boss (of not much in particular) so in a slow moment I while away the time on here, the trouble is i dont need much sleep, so I can be on this thing into the early hours.

Alan