PDA

View Full Version : Spyware checker

lgordon6041
02-11-2004, 18:53
Hi all, just a quick question. I saw on here a while ago that there was a free spyware/virus checker that available out there. Does anyone know the location of it as I am keen to keep my PC running as well as possible. Ive no problem with buying one if I need to.

Thanks in advance

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2004, 19:13
www.lavasoftusa.com have Adaware as a free version. I've found Pest Patrol (www.pestpatrol.com) catches a LOT more spyware than this but you have to buy it.

Nostromo
02-11-2004, 19:18
I am not very techy-savvy so will someone please tell me how this 'spyware' works? Is this some sort of Big Cyber-Brother?

CERICROWLEY
02-11-2004, 19:28
John.

Not sure if you might know the answer to this one.

Adaware??? I heard in the news recently that the fella behind this (OR IS IF SOME OTHER SPYWARE??) was prosecuted and jailed. for loading viruses with the programmes.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2004, 19:37
I've not heard that, but personally do not use Adaware as I found Pest Patrol a much better option with a far improved detection rate.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY
John.

Adaware??? I heard in the news recently that the fella behind this (OR IS IF SOME OTHER SPYWARE??) was prosecuted and jailed. for loading viruses with the programmes.

[/quote]

Carla
02-11-2004, 20:00
Have you got any more info on this Ceri? I currently use adaware, and don't appear to be having any problems, but want to make sure.

I also use spybot for spy ware.

John.

[/quote]

chrizzy100
02-11-2004, 20:15
I use the one on my yahoo tool bar....which also has a good pop up blocker......

ravtino
02-11-2004, 21:06
I am using grisoft as a virus checker (free)

Y
02-11-2004, 21:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Have you got any more info on this Ceri? I currently use adaware, and don't appear to be having any problems, but want to make sure.

I also use spybot for spy ware.

John.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Carla ,I installed Adaware today using a link from Microsoft Windows XP so hopefully it should be OK.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2004, 21:35
That's a virus checker - we are talking about spyware checkers here.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ravtino
I am using grisoft as a virus checker (free)
[/quote]

wilfy
02-11-2004, 22:21
To be really covered, you should use 2 different spyware programs. Nowt like belt 'n braces approach.

lookout
02-11-2004, 22:21
I recently 'cleaned' two laptops used by a friend. I needed a combination of tools and found both adaware and spybot very useful.

ravtino
02-11-2004, 23:46
Sorry!

Elaine62
03-11-2004, 00:41
I've used Adaware before but find Spybot to be better.

Make sure you also use a firewall(Zonealarm is free) and a also run a virus check (AVG is free) regularly.

I've had no problems, touch wood, since using all 3 of these.

Elaine

gromit
03-11-2004, 01:15
I also use Spybot by Patrick Kolla which is freeware and it seems to do the trick. Do a search for it on google and you will be able to download it from one of the freeware sites.

KevinT
03-11-2004, 02:11
Hi Lee,
Having just changed recently to XP and had the HD reformatted for a "clean" start I was also advised to have more than one spyware programs, as often one will sweep up what the other ignores. The two I was recommended were Spybot & Spyware Doctor (both have free versions, although you can upgrade if you want later)
So far (fingers crossed!!) most scans have proved negative although a couple of Trojan Horse type programs identified, along with quite a few low danger adware and spyware attacks.

ravtino
03-11-2004, 13:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Posted - 02 Nov 2004 : 20:41:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used Adaware before but find Spybot to be better.

Make sure you also use a firewall(Zonealarm is free) and a also run a virus check (AVG is free) regularly.

I've had no problems, touch wood, since using all 3 of these.

Elaine
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have now put spybot on and the free zonealarm firewall , gosh what a suprise the things they find, hopefully now I will be better protected.

Madabouttigger
04-11-2004, 22:31
I use Spy Sweeper and that usually ferrits out a few odds and ends tucked away in a corner, its very easy to use too.
As for Virus Protection I have always used Norton and find it to be excellent. I also use the Norton Spam filter and can recommend that too.
[msnwink]
Diane.

CERICROWLEY
05-11-2004, 11:55
Kevin

Have shecked out spy doctor on the web. Have downloaded it and run the check, it will not remove the spyware unless you register.

KevinT
05-11-2004, 13:01
CERI,
Apologies, yes you're right the freebie Spyware Doctor is just for evaluation. (I did actually register with them and my version now deals with the "nasties")

amy
05-11-2004, 17:07
I thave just tried the lavasoft version, it did the check and said the system was clean but then the computer started to work in slow motion, when I typed e-mail or forum replies there was a 2 second delay before the type came on the screen.
I have just removed the program and it is now fine again.[msnsmile2]

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just the gremlins in my machine?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
www.lavasoftusa.com have Adaware as a free version. I've found Pest Patrol (www.pestpatrol.com) catches a LOT more spyware than this but you have to buy it.
[/quote]

ravtino
05-11-2004, 18:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Kevin

Have shecked out spy doctor on the web. Have downloaded it and run the check, it will not remove the spyware unless you register.[/quote]

I also tried the Spy doctor and found this also, then my system went funny so i uninstalled it, I have put on the Spy sweeper for the trial period, it found loads more than the spybot, so I will keep both for a while, I think the delay is that it is checking things before it allows it onto you computer??? maybe I'm wrong!!

chrizzy100
05-11-2004, 18:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy

I thave just tried the lavasoft version, it did the check and said the system was clean but then the computer started to work in slow motion, when I typed e-mail or forum replies there was a 2 second delay before the type came on the screen.
I have just removed the program and it is now fine again.[msnsmile2]

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just the gremlins in my machine?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
[/quote]
[/quote]

No it happened to me too........so its not just your machine.......

John Boy
06-11-2004, 04:15
Has anyone used SPYWARE STORMER

can anyone give me any advise on this one

josephinekelly
06-11-2004, 14:29
There are many free spyware programs you can run and often a few of these is better than one, as one program can often pick up malware which others don't.

As regards Adaware, I ran an update on this the other day and found it had been completely revamped and even renamed as NoAdware, so I shall keep this version which said I am spyware free.

Spybot has already been mentioned as doing a good job. I also run Spyware Blaster and A2Squared regularly. The latter concentrates particularly on the dreaded diallers.

These are all free programs which can be found with a Google search. I have a session about once a fortnight where I run everything, all the spyware programs, Win Cleaner, Windows Update, Norton Live Update. Takes about an hour, but I consider it worth it when you think of the problems when a weakness is exploited on your computer. Never done this yet without something being found which needed to be eliminated.

jolliffee
06-11-2004, 21:20
It makes a lot of sense to check the computer for unwanted software, especially if you have a dial up connection.[msnwink]

julieanne
28-03-2005, 17:34
Just downloaded Adaware & Spybot - and ran them both.

This maybe a dumb question but how do I decide which of the files they find I should delete?
Do I delete them all or could I be getting rid of something I need? [msnembarrased] [msnembarrased]

josephinekelly
28-03-2005, 18:07
Just to correct something I posted earlier. Adaware comes under the webname of Lavasoft and NoAdware is another organisation - I think the latter has somewhat hijacked the former.

I have now added an anti-keylogger to my list. The only one I have found to run in the background giving constant protection rather than just to look for keyloggers after you have got one, is by Styopkin (you can find it with Google). He is a bit of an independent but I have several of his applications.

By the way, if Spybot or similar find things which need to be deleted, you don't really have to choose which, I always go for deleting all the malware files found and have never had any adverse effects.