PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Celebration

E. Cosgrove
02-11-2004, 01:07
As I have just had a crash course in how to put photos on the forum I thought I'd share with you some pictures of Celebration, where we stayed for our recent trip to Florida.
This is the Celebration Hotel where we stayed

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/E. Cosgrove/200411121339_hotel2.jpg
Some views across the lake

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/E. Cosgrove/20041112157_celebration.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/E. Cosgrove/200411121534_celebration1.jpg

brizzle
02-11-2004, 01:10
Lovely pictures, especially like the reflections on the lake.

I'm hoping to visit Celebration this trip as we keep meaning to go but haven't quite ended up there yet.

Brizzle.

linda.s
02-11-2004, 02:42
Oh Liz!!! How could you????? You know I wanted to go there!! lol

It looks beautiful! I am so sorry I didn't put my foot down on the last day and made them spend an hour or 2 there........ Something to look forward to next time though!

Thanks for sharing - they are wonderful!

LiesaAnna
02-11-2004, 02:51
They are lovely Liz, we are going to have to visit celebration, it looks such a pretty place and that certainly shows in your photos:)
Thanks for sharing them!!!![msnsmile]

Jill
02-11-2004, 12:44
Superb pictures it looks lovely. I am really looking forward to going to Celebration early December and hopefully seeing it 'snow'.

stabard
02-11-2004, 14:23
Lovely pics Liz. Will certainly have to visit Celebration when we are over next.
Bring more pics on Sunday[msnsmile2]

julieanne
02-11-2004, 17:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
As I have just had a crash course in how to put photos on the forum I thought I'd share with you some pictures of Celebration, where we stayed for our recent trip to Florida.
This is the Celebration Hotel where we stayed

[/quote]

Great pics Liz.
I adored Celebration and definately want to go back there.

Was it a good place to stay? What was the hotel like?

I took quite a few pics which I will try and post if I can ever get them onto my pc [msnmad] Seem to have a mental block and haven't been able to transfer them [msnembarrased]

E. Cosgrove
02-11-2004, 22:40
The hotel was lovely Julie, very informal but with lots of old world charm. Baskets of fruit around to help yourselves, turn down service with chocs on your pillow ( i love those little touches) and lovely cotton bathrobes. The pool and deck are only small but the pool area was never very busy. When we have our own villa it would be nice to stay there again for just a night or two...perhaps for a special occasion.

Ray&Sarah
02-11-2004, 22:44
Lovely pictures Liz, we love Celebration too.[msnsmile2]

rosie
02-11-2004, 23:40
Great pictures Liz :) we love visiting Celebration too especially the Market St cafe ;)

E. Cosgrove
03-11-2004, 01:00
That was our breakfast stop everyday Rosie[msnsmile2]The apple pancakes are to die for[msntongue]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
Great pictures Liz :) we love visiting Celebration too especially the Market St cafe ;)
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
03-11-2004, 02:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
That was our breakfast stop everyday Rosie[msnsmile2]The apple pancakes are to die for[msntongue]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
[/quote]
[/quote]

Will have to go and give those a try.:D

traceya89
03-11-2004, 04:00
visit celebration in december and the xmas decs are lovely. the snow falls in main street (? right address) during december add to the xmas feel. celebration is definitely worth a visit and we always visit there after discovering it by accident when following a post office sign! there are lots of write ups in various magazines about celebration. cant wait to visit again.

esprit
03-11-2004, 07:35
Liz, where's the pool deck? Have walked past many many times on the other side of the lake and it never really looked as if there was a pool over there, it must be small. But do you get the right to go in the residents pool at Lakeside park from the hotel?

The pics are fab.. Best time to see that lake vista is at sunset and it is incredibly beautiful. Sometimes I just have to pinch myself that I live in such a place. Halloween was just lovely, the place was a mass of children in costume. Living near the middle of town, I must have had a hundred call by my home trick and treating and $20 worth of candy went nowhere!!

E. Cosgrove
03-11-2004, 23:33
Here are some pics of the pool deck from our balcony Julie, you can see it from the other side of the lake if you know where you are looking.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/E. Cosgrove/2004113193247_2004_1026Florida0044.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/E. Cosgrove/2004113193325_2004_1026Florida0046.JPG

LiesaAnna
03-11-2004, 23:38
Liz, they are lovely, its so peaceful!!!
Thanks for sharing these with everyone!:)

esprit
04-11-2004, 07:50
You can see people sitting out on loungers from the other side of the lake but you cant really see the pool, I thought it was just a sun deck.

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 11:37
julie, am very envious of you?
did you say you live here?

julieanne
04-11-2004, 20:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
julie, am very envious of you?
did you say you live here?
[/quote]

Julie, if you do live here I'm envious too....
Is it as lovely to live there as we all think it is?

Julie (the one who doesn't live in Celebration but would like too...

esprit
05-11-2004, 02:58
Yes I do. I live pretty much in the middle ( near the school) in one of the original houses built seven years ago at the time when you had to be Floridian to buy and moreover had to enter a lottery because there was a lot more demand than homes!! Now with all the new building, anyone can buy.

And yes, it is every bit as good as you would think. I do sometimes get fed up of the Stepford Wives joke, but if you get something beautiful and as near to perfect as damn it, then I guess it is hip to knock it. I love the sense of community. I love being able to WALK to places. I love the fact that it has a real centre and a lot of the people in the shops know me ( real small town UK gall, me!!). I love the fact that our son lives in a clean living environment and that he can go out at night in total safety. And the fact that I have $1200 worth of furniture on my front porch but would never in my wildest dreams imagine anything going missing.

It IS like living in goldfish bowl especially when they have events on in town but I have got used to it and realise that the towns economy depends on it. I do realise that I am the lucky one who doesnt have to go home, as I am there:) Sorry if I sound smug, dont mean to, just proud.

Southsider
05-11-2004, 03:37
You are so lucky Espirit, living in Celebration, it would be our dream place to live, when we went there last December, we were parking the car just near the town centre and this guy came up and said 'could you tell me what time it will snow here today', I thought he was having a laugh, but then realized that it snowed everying evening at 7.00pm! We did not get to see it but I imagine it would be magical with the carol singers as well.[^]

Tricia

MTP
05-11-2004, 04:44
Hi Julie,

Glad you are enjoying your experience there - we are getting close to the time when we have to make our decision about going to the US or staying in the UK (31st Dec I have to let the college know if I will accept the place on the conversion course). Celebration has always been one of the places that we thought of as a possibility, if we are brave enough to make the move.

Have you read any of the books about Celebration (admittedly the two that I have read seem to focus on the early years, I don't think either go beyond year three)?

Looking forward to being back in Celebration in 8 weeks, a picture of our two in front of Celebration Lake is my current desktop picture - very beautiful and restful.

Best wishes,

MTP

esprit
05-11-2004, 06:48
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/esprit/200411524641_20047916510_109484.jpg

My Celebration home. You cant see it very well but it has a wrap round porch and we are just having a pool built at the rear. One of the trees at the front was since demolished in hurricane Charlie!!

It is a good place for Brits to live, MTP, as it feels more English than many places and has quite a big British contingent.
I havent read the books. There was quite a thing about one of them as I read in the paper, a journalist came to live here and joined the Church and all social groups incogito but only to collect data for the book and some people felt a bit miffed by that.

LiesaAnna
05-11-2004, 11:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Yes I do. I live pretty much in the middle ( near the school) in one of the original houses built seven years ago at the time when you had to be Floridian to buy and moreover had to enter a lottery because there was a lot more demand than homes!! Now with all the new building, anyone can buy.

And yes, it is every bit as good as you would think. I do sometimes get fed up of the Stepford Wives joke, but if you get something beautiful and as near to perfect as damn it, then I guess it is hip to knock it. I love the sense of community. I love being able to WALK to places. I love the fact that it has a real centre and a lot of the people in the shops know me ( real small town UK gall, me!!). I love the fact that our son lives in a clean living environment and that he can go out at night in total safety. And the fact that I have $1200 worth of furniture on my front porch but would never in my wildest dreams imagine anything going missing.

It IS like living in goldfish bowl especially when they have events on in town but I have got used to it and realise that the towns economy depends on it. I do realise that I am the lucky one who doesnt have to go home, as I am there:) Sorry if I sound smug, dont mean to, just proud.
[/quote]

Hi Julie,:)
i dont think you sound smug, just very proud, wish i could talk about where i live like you!!
Happy Days!!!!!!!![msnwink]

julieanne
05-11-2004, 12:44
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/esprit/200411524641_20047916510_109484.jpg

My Celebration home. You cant see it very well but it has a wrap round porch and we are just having a pool built at the rear. One of the trees at the front was since demolished in hurricane Charlie!!

It is a good place for Brits to live, MTP, as it feels more English than many places and has quite a big British contingent.
I havent read the books. There was quite a thing about one of them as I read in the paper, a journalist came to live here and joined the Church and all social groups incogito but only to collect data for the book and some people felt a bit miffed by that.
[/quote]

Julie - your home looks lovely. You are right to be proud of it.

I only wish we could get something even close to that in the UK. Obviously the weather makes a huge difference but the lifestyle in Florida - particularly Celebration is just something else.

I will just have to make the most of my holidays there and hope they get longer as the years go by.

Julie - you are living my dream.... Hopefully you will be able to post some pics of Celebration at Christmas for us to drool over.

Joolz
05-11-2004, 12:51
Wow the pics look fabulous!

We have booked to have Christmas day brunch at Celebration Hotel and are thinking of going to the cinema in Celebration on Christmas day eveing- ?? but I dont know what will be showing- would you post the showings on the discussion board nearer the time Esprit???

What sort of churches are there in celebration to go to on Christmas morning?

I am curious to know whether there is piped music all the time (which seems to come from the edge of the pavements) ?? or is it ever turned off?

Joolz

kaysvacationvilla
05-11-2004, 16:19
Since our 1st visit to Celebration the first part of October, I guess you could say I have become "obsessed". Every day I check the real estate listings, I tell my husband to send out his resume so he can get a job near Celebration. I want to live there!!! I am so tired of the cold and snow up here in Masachusetts. I actually like a house I saw on the listings 1.3 Million. Well, I can dream can't I!! It was 7 beds and 5 bedrooms, plenty of room for us 5 and then my parents and sister can visit without any problems. If were were to ever persue living there we would probably have to start out with a condo.

LiesaAnna
05-11-2004, 16:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla
Since our 1st visit to Celebration the first part of October, I guess you could say I have become "obsessed". Every day I check the real estate listings, I tell my husband to send out his resume so he can get a job near Celebration. I want to live there!!! I am so tired of the cold and snow up here in Masachusetts. I actually like a house I saw on the listings 1.3 Million. Well, I can dream can't I!! It was 7 beds and 5 bedrooms, plenty of room for us 5 and then my parents and sister can visit without any problems. If were were to ever persue living there we would probably have to start out with a condo.

[/quote]

shall we wake her???????

no we can all share your lovely dream, so far from what i've seen i wouldnt mind living there to, shall we share half the house??[msnwink]

julieanne
05-11-2004, 18:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla

[/quote]

shall we wake her???????

no we can all share your lovely dream, so far from what i've seen i wouldnt mind living there to, shall we share half the house??[msnwink]
[/quote]

Is there room for me too??? [msnwink]

esprit
05-11-2004, 18:20
The Church in the middle is all demoninations I think. It is very popular. Dont know more as we are not church goers. Yes there is piped music though actually you cease to notice it after a time. It is nice at Xmas when they do carols, other times it is often Disney tunes or lift type music. It comes from mushroom shaped speakers in the streets, grass verges etc. They are fairly widely spaced and you dont get it everywhere.

Kay, I like the one that just sold at $2.7 million! It is expensive here but not that expensive, if you search on 34747 at over $500,000, you get quite a few vacation homes on Windsor Palms, Emerald Isle and Formosa Gardens coming up as well as Celebration and Reunion. One way of affording to live here is to buy a home with an appartment over tha garage and rent that out ( it has to be long term but there is a thriving rental market) You can get $850-1200 a month in rent and it funds the bigger mortgage that you need to buy here. We have one and let our teenage son live in it[xx(] Mind you Im not sure renters would have liked the mess from the pool build!!

MTP
06-11-2004, 04:48
From the two books that I read both authors noted that at times their presence caused concern amongst local residents. One of the authors was actually a husband and wife that had moved down witht their two children and I felt that their book was perhaps the most honest as they had the option of deciding to stay long term if they liked it, also their children were effected by the experimental schooling techiques being used.

The other author was a single chap (he was with a girlfriend in New York before he was assigned to Celebration, but the relationship did not survive the separation). His was a more scathing/bleak account, but I think that more reflects the authors. I have to say the first book was more positive, even thought they did not stay in the community long term.

Are there a good mix of international races represented in Celebration, or is primarily US/UK?

You also have a beautiful house.

esprit
06-11-2004, 08:44
Mainly Americans and quite middle class and white collar. I know of about twenty British families- five management agents, one pool company, a builder, a couple of realtors, one blind supplier, the owners of Sherlocks, the rest are on work visas or green cards. The only other Europeans I know are from Rome but have lived in the US longterm.
There is not a huge hispanic contingent though I do know one Puerto Rican family but they moved to the North of America where the property values are higher and then down to Florida.

The books tended to be written in the early days when the regime was stricter, It is pretty relaxed now and no stricter than some villa estate HOAs. If you write a book about something, you are sure to look for the weird and wonderful. No one is interested in reading that it is just a small town like any other and very very (dare I say) normal. Some of the things like the falling brown paper leaves and the snow are a little extraordinary but they are for the tourists and to attract income for the town merchants and naught really to do with the residents. If the schooling was experimental, the kids must have gone to the Montessoti or Navigator school not the ordinary school in town.

kaysvacationvilla
06-11-2004, 17:08
Hi Julie,

One thing that I did notice, was that we were in the town on a Sunday afternoon and did not see a lot of people out which gave us the impression that it was second homes and maybe older people. We thought we would see kids out on bikes and more people out in the neighborhoods.

esprit
06-11-2004, 18:03
Most are families actually Kay. Some retirees from the northern states but really very few second homes. If you arrive at 8.45 am or 3.30 pm or on a school holiday you will see bundles of kids around. Many of the kids go to school on skateboards, bikes or roller blades as they dont live within the limit to get the yellow school bus. Used to be electric scooters but the police clamped down on that.

E. Cosgrove
06-11-2004, 23:28
We saw them all going to school Julie, and off to the pool... for their swimming lessons, I think. We also saw them all outside church on Sunday. We thought the town had a very homely feel with all the houses decorated for Halloween you could imagine lots of families around. I can imagine anyone who just spends time in the town centre thinking it is more a town for tourists, but there is very definitely a sense of community when you delve a little deeper.

esprit
07-11-2004, 03:01
The town goes back a long way, about two miles. Amyone just looking at the touristy bit in the middle will certainly not get a feel for the real Celebration.

benfilo
09-11-2004, 00:51
It's a lovely home Julie, we loved the area . You may have seen us driving around just over a week ago, this is Sam and Sophie outside our rental.(I wish)

benfilo

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/benfilo/2004118205028_humvee.JPG

MTP
09-11-2004, 02:03
If the schooling was experimental, the kids must have gone to the Montessoti or Navigator school not the ordinary school in town.

[/quote]

Hi Julie,

From memory (it has been a while since I read the books) it was the standard Celebration school, but when it was originally set up it was very much mould-breaking and conceptual. The problem seemed to be (in a nutshell) too mould-breaking and eventually many people were uncomfortable with the experimenting with their children's education, especially when they were finding it difficult to find places at colleges as the school didn't initially use grades.

I know what you mean about the writers looking for stories and maybe over-dramatasising things at times.

Are you still working as hard as ever, or are things beginning to be more settled?

LiesaAnna
09-11-2004, 02:21
nice car!!!!!!!!
mine is similar!!!!![8D]

Lynne S
09-11-2004, 22:14
It needs to be Liesa...............................To get your hat in [msnwink][msnwink]
And for all your new cases with rainbow bands round them !!!!!!!!![clap][clap][clap]

LiesaAnna
09-11-2004, 23:17
aghhhhhhhhhhh shes following me, love to see that vehicle, i suppose that only goes down straight roads[msnwink]

chrizzy100
09-11-2004, 23:40
Mainly Americans and quite middle class and white collar. I know of about twenty British families- five management agents, one pool company, a builder, a couple of realtors, one blind supplier, the owners of Sherlocks, the rest are on work visas or green cards. The only other Europeans I know are from Rome but have lived in the US longterm.
There is not a huge hispanic contingent though I do know one Puerto Rican family but they moved to the North of America where the property values are higher and then down to Florida.

The books tended to be written in the early days when the regime was stricter, It is pretty relaxed now and no stricter than some villa estate HOAs. If you write a book about something, you are sure to look for the weird and wonderful. No one is interested in reading that it is just a small town like any other and very very (dare I say) normal. Some of the things like the falling brown paper leaves and the snow are a little extraordinary but they are for the tourists and to attract income for the town merchants and naught really to do with the residents. If the schooling was experimental, the kids must have gone to the Montessoti or Navigator school not the ordinary school in town.

[/quote]

We nolonger know anyone from England on the Cape.....most of our friends are American.....or from countries like India.....the middle east....etc.....there are Brit clubs on the Cape....but I'm not going out my way to meet English people....I really like having English get togethers when in FL......its nice to talk to people who know what I'm talking about....lol....but still down there a lot of my friends are American......or from other countries.......

Madabouttigger
10-11-2004, 00:31
Esprite,
thank - you sharing details about your home with us, celebration is something that has fasinated me for years, and I have only just found this link on the web site.

Photos of the winter decorations and snow would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Diane x

[msnsmile]