PDA

View Full Version : Booked for Marco Island!!

poet123
31-10-2004, 01:22
We have finally decided to stay on Marco for our last leg of the trip after 10 days in Orlando.[msnsmile2]
We have booked a great house on Cottage Court which is near Tigertail beach and on water. The house looks great and I am really excited.[clap]
So where could we plan to get out and about to from there??? alll suggestions gratefully received.[grouphug]

bellaepovera
31-10-2004, 12:50
I was in Marco Island a couple of years ago and really thought it was beautiful. Very peaceful and the home we stayed at also want on the canal and had its own boat dock. There is also a couple of places that you can rent out boats and if your home has a dock you can park it right in back so a nice boat trip is a nice idea. I cant remember the names of the resturaunts but there was a place that had a few right on the water. Marco is small and many of the resturaunts have leaflets with the names of all the resturaunts printed on them.
Have a fun and enjoying holiday there.

Katys Grandad
31-10-2004, 13:18
Do you mind sharing the rough cost of the boat rental with me? I've often considered it but assumed it was very expensive.

Also, what level of experience is required?

poet123
31-10-2004, 13:46
Hi,
We have looked into this as the house does have a dock and we love boats......
The rental is in the region of $800/$1,000 for a week,then 5 days, 3 days, 1 day, pro rata for a boat big enough for 6. No experience is required as they go through all the details on handover. There are various marinas around and they will all vary a bit in price obviously.
In july we rented a boat on Captiva for a day and after the initial OMG we are in open water it was fine!!!! Previuous experience was a narrow boat which somehow was not quite the same!!!!!we made ti there and back to Cabbage Key in one piece although at a slower pace than others!!!
As we are there for a week we will probably have one for 3 days next year.
Hope this helps.

Katys Grandad
31-10-2004, 15:46
Many thanks poet123 - I will be on Sanibel so I might try it for a day and see if I can manage it! I was told some time ago that you could save around 30% on the rental just by crossing the causeway and taking a boat out from Fort Myers instead. Did you look at that?

Edward
31-10-2004, 19:59
From one Grandad to another!
In view of Hurricane Ivan,I would have thought that hiring from Captiva could be dodgy,Im told most of the channel markers are missing and Im sure a few sandbars have changed position.Sanibel Marina and Fort Myers area should be okay and yes its marginally cheaper to hire at Fort Myers,but if you are staying on Sanibel hardly worth it convenience wise. Im going to Sanibel in Dec. will let you know how I find it
Reguards Edward

Katys Grandad
31-10-2004, 22:04
Edward

Thanks for that - I'd heard that a lot of the channel markers had fallen victim to Charlie and Ivan. I'm there in a few weeks so we could compare notes when we are both back. Enjoy your stay (hard to do otherwise in a place like Sanibel).

poet123
01-11-2004, 01:12
We were on Captiva so just hired from there, the marina was across from our villa so it was really convenient for us. With regard to channel markers, we found them very widely spaced as it was , so if some are missing it would be a problem. We cheated somewhat though, as we were off to Cabbage key we checked on the time the ferry from South seas left and kept them in our sights all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisi
03-11-2004, 19:29
I went to Sanibel and Captiva early October. Captiva has been quite ravaged by the hurricanes - many trees down and a sorry sight so not sure what the position is at sea with channel markers but it might be dodgy. Sanibel had fared better but still some damage.

Lisi [8D]