PDA

View Full Version : New ride

esprit
29-10-2004, 19:12
10/27/2004
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Goes Over The Edge With 'SheiKra'

Tampa, Fla. (Oct. 27, 2004) – This spring, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay will reinforce its reputation as Florida’s premier thrill-packed adventure park by unveiling SheiKra, the nation’s first dive coaster.

Set among the jungle ruins of a once-mighty African civilization, SheiKra will carry riders up 200 feet at 45 degrees, then hurtle them 70 mph back toward the ground at a 90-degree angle. It will be the first coaster of its kind in the Americas and only the third in the world. Similar diving coasters in England and Taiwan can’t match the height, speed and intensity SheiKra will offer.

SheiKra is the first dive coaster to incorporate an Immelmann loop, a water feature, and a second 90-degree, 138-foot drop through an underground tunnel. The ride also includes a 360-degree climbing carousel. SheiKra’s 3,188 feet of steel track offers a total ride time of just over three minutes.

“With its adrenalin-pumping vertical drops, high speed, multiple coaster elements and overall experience, SheiKra is certain to fulfill thrill seekers’ expectations and solidify Busch Gardens Tampa’s standing as the state’s coaster king,” said Dan Brown, executive vice president and general manager, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

As the eighth member of the park’s family of renowned coasters, SheiKra will serve as the centerpiece of a new, lushly themed habitat within Busch Gardens’ Stanleyville area. The enhanced area will also include new shopping options and a 500-seat, indoor/outdoor full-service restaurant situated on the coaster’s perimeter, allowing guests to be a part of the action while dining.

The one in England mentioned just has to be OBLIVION at Alton Towers. For anyone who has been on that, wow what a rush, if this one is better (or worse as you see it!!) it should be quite comething. I am presuming they are building this where the old Stanleyvilla Theater was as that has been closed for quite some time.

Nostromo
29-10-2004, 19:20
Yes, I've been on Oblivion and its good. But it is nothing like this SheiKra's 200 feet (more like 120, I think) and lasts less than a minute in the ride part. The new Busch ride certainly sounds interesting.

I think it could well be a part of increasing the idea of 'separate holiday for itself' status the Gulf Coast in visitor's minds (ie going there without coming to the big 'O'). With Clearwater, Ridington Beach, Busch Gardens, Tampa etc they ate probably halfway there already.

Rich-n-Ang
29-10-2004, 19:26
We couldn't decide about returning to Busch Gardens next year but this new ride probably means we'll go now, sounds great. Went on Oblivion 2 days ago - its good but this sounds better (and I'm betting it will be warmer than it was at Alton Towers in October !!)

Snapper
29-10-2004, 19:38
Ahhhhhh, so that's what they are building. We did wonder when we were there this summer. The area boarded off is huge. If the existing rides at Busch are anything to go by this one could be a real monster!

LiesaAnna
29-10-2004, 20:00
we've definately decided to go back to Busch gardens!! but now we've seen that its definately definately decided :D:D

[V][V][msncry][msncry]

doh, at least we can see it being built!!!!!!
[msntongue][msnembarrased]

linda.s
29-10-2004, 21:11
At least it will be finished by the time we can afford to go back - Shame for you going soon though........... Not ready till Spring, and if they are using usual builders, then it will be open for next Halloween! :D

WR1
29-10-2004, 21:11
I will get as far as the restaurant [msnscared]

WR

Jo
30-10-2004, 00:28
I'll hold the coats - Oh no - can't use that excuse in Florida. Pregnancy - no thanks, maybe a dodgy back or dickie ticker then!

Any suggestions for more excuses?

porky
30-10-2004, 14:07
I vaugely remember reading something, somewhere about low blood pressure and roller coasters so I'll use that excuse.:D

Jacqui

cmcruck
30-01-2005, 18:51
Hi all

Just had a look at the new ride on their site and did the video it looks great and at the end says May, does anyone know when in May?[msnoo]

Thanks

Cindy

poohbear
30-01-2005, 19:36
i would like to know as well as i am out there till 19th may!!!!!!!!!![msnsmile2]

blott
30-01-2005, 19:40
I can't find an actual opening date in May 2005 but you can watch the video at http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/sheikra.aspx

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 23:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
I can't find an actual opening date in May 2005 but you can watch the video at http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/sheikra.aspx
[/quote]

Thanks Blott. It looks awsome! I cannot wait to sit in the front row. We MAY be going for a week to the Gulf Coast this October and if we do - Sheikra, here I come!

Ray&Sarah
31-01-2005, 00:13
Looks amazing, my son is sure to want to go and ride it, maybe in August whilst we are there, he will deserve a treat after taking his GCSE's.[msnsmile2]

karenhaworth
08-02-2005, 17:15
Had a look at it being built last week and it looks fantastic.

We are back out in Sept and will be queuing to go on it then.

BTW went last Tuesday to Busch, left the villa at 10.15 am and by 11.40 had already been on Montu twice including the front row, the park was really empty and no queues for anything.

In fact the longest queue was for a Sandwich in the Hospitality Centre.:)

Colin

poohbear
08-02-2005, 19:19
my favourite time of the year to visit florida not too hot and no queues:D

marksd
16-02-2005, 03:56
Good Write up here.

http://www.coaster-net.com/rg/sheikra.php

LiesaAnna
16-02-2005, 13:43
Thanks Mark, hubby son and daughter will i'm suer love this one, and sure we will get reviews before we go on Nov 1st this year!!
i wont go on it tho' am sure i will have a a a a a bad back!!![msnwink]

Sally D
16-02-2005, 17:39
Another one for me to watch rather than go on. Husband and 3 girls will love this though.

E. Cosgrove
16-02-2005, 18:33
and guess what Sarah will be doing....holding the bags!!! Too warm for coats[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Looks amazing, my son is sure to want to go and ride it, maybe in August whilst we are there, he will deserve a treat after taking his GCSE's.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
16-02-2005, 21:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
and guess what Sarah will be doing....holding the bags!!! Too warm for coats[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]
[/quote]

Too true Liz, will ahve to make sure we have plenty of bags for me to hold.[msnwink]:D

Magical Dreams
16-02-2005, 21:54
We are definately going!!

We decided to splash out and buy a SeaWorls/Busch Gardens Annual Pass.

The New ride Looks Fantastic.

200 ft is a long way down!! Especially when you have no control over the vehicle!!

Can't wait to have a go on it!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Magical Dreams/2005216175414_image_sheikra21.jpg

Nostromo
16-02-2005, 23:00
Looking at the various photos, Sheikra looks like a magnified version of Alton Towers' "Oblivion". The riding car certainly looks similar, but the BG track seems longer with more imaginative loops, drops, twists and turns. Should be interesting from the first row.:)

LiesaAnna
16-02-2005, 23:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Magical Dreams
We are definately going!!

We decided to splash out and buy a SeaWorls/Busch Gardens Annual Pass.

The New ride Looks Fantastic.

200 ft is a long way down!! Especially when you have no control over the vehicle!!

Can't wait to have a go on it!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Magical Dreams/2005216175414_image_sheikra21.jpg
[/quote]

your sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make sure we get before and after photos when you've done it!!!!

bridget
19-07-2005, 17:14
Looks fantastic and will definitely be on that next year. Bah! Alton Towers is pathetic in comparison - Oblivion is 65 ft high [?] Don't they know how to make em tall and fast?! No wonder we all head to Florida!

adox
19-07-2005, 22:16
I will definitelybe taking a spin on this in September[clap]

Nick Sayer
20-07-2005, 13:14
I was over at the end of June and it was up and running.

We got there at about 8.30 as usual and started to head straight for the Sheikra but got side tracked by a quick go on the Gwazi. By the time we got to Sheikra there was already about a 30 to 40 minute wait so it is very popular.

We decided to go in the single rider que and i was very lucky or unlucky depending on how you view it to get put on the front row.

I have to say the ride is fantastic and has two drops one of 200ft where the hang you over the edge for about 5 seconds before they drop you then a second one of around 120ft about half way round.

It is a vertical drop and i don't mind riding most rides but i have to say that the first drop is as good as i have done on a roller coaster. After riding the Kracken at Seaworld the day before i thought it can't be a much steeper drop than that but i was wrong.

Highley recommended but don't get distracted by the Gwazi on the way.

I tend to go to Busch Gardens most years as it is one of my favorites but it also seemed as if they had done a lot of work in making the park a lot better this year so keep it up Busch Gardens.

Paula D-S
23-07-2005, 23:32
Hi,

We went to Busch in June. I had to be coaxed into riding on Sheikra. Was I glad. A whole 5 seconds just hanging there praying for your life, it was FANTASTIC[msnsmile2]

alanandjude
05-08-2005, 01:48
So jealous. Think I need to catch up on some new rides trip after next.
This one looks jaw dropping.

Don't think I'll get Jude on there though!

adox
20-09-2005, 03:53
We visited Busch Gardens last week and headed straight for Sheikra.
I went on on my own first as my wife chickened out!

I thought there would be quite a que as its the newest ride there,but I just walked straight onto the ride without any queing!!

I went straight for the front row and boy what a rush.My wife came on the second time but refused to sit at the front so we sat near the back.She enjoyed it too but once was enough for her.

Later in the day I went back again and still there was no que so I rode it 3 times in a row in the front seat.Its a completely different experience in the front seats than further back on the ride.

If you want to experience the true terror then you must sit in the front row:D

It doesnt last very long though so your agont will soon be over[sick]

LiesaAnna
20-09-2005, 11:26
will give my family's reviews soon!!![msnwink] theyre dying to have a go!!

Sally D
20-09-2005, 12:06
My lot are looking forward to this very much.

Not me though, I will keep my feet firmly on the ground and just watch.

LiesaAnna
20-09-2005, 13:43
same here Sally!! professional bag holder!![msnwink]

dolphinv
20-09-2005, 15:06
if your minding the bags dont stand at the bridge near the splash, riders do not get wet but spectators could get soaked

orlandobabe
16-10-2005, 02:42
My lot went on it several times last week and queues are starting to form-so it must be getting popular.

It certainly looks very spectacular.

At the moment Busch are doing a second day for $11(used to be free) and we never bothered-but this year we paid up and went back (go figure!).

I'm sure the Sheikra had something to do with it.

My son's friend isn't a lover of roller coasters -but he went on it several times.

Me-I had a good excuse-someone had to watch the babies!!!!!!

One of whom wandered into the splash zone and got soaked-ah bless!

Semper
09-11-2005, 06:29
Just got back from Busch Gardens. Got dragged on to Sheikra 5 times by my daughter! (or was it that I dragged her on it 5 times?) I have been on many roller coasters in my time and there isn't much to compete against the few seconds you are dangling on the edge of the 200ft drop then the feeling as it suddenly lets go.

The sheer size of the ride is breath taking. It can be seen towering in to the sky from the entire park and is almost intimidating in its presence. As we worked our way around the park getting closer to it I could not help but feel the apprehension rise as the height of the main drop became more apparent.

We were lucky that the park was very quiet. There were no queues at all. each time we went on we were pretty much straight on even to the front. When the park is busy I can imagine the wait will be a long one, the queue lanes seemed to go on for ever. There are 4 rows of eight seats in each car. The seats are teared so each row is slightly higher than the first giving good views where ever you sit. The climb to the first and main drop is long and steep (you are pretty much on your back during the accent), look out for the rescue lift which runs along the main track. One think I noticed was how smooth everything is. When you get to the top you have stunning views of the whole Tampa area along with the smoothness this part of the ride is almost relaxing. Another thing to look out for are the red aircraft warning lights at the top. Then you come to the main drop, the car slows and then slowly creeps up the edge and then gently rolls, the track seems to just disappear. On the front row you are almost horizontal looking down at certain doom and at the crowds of people looking up in awe of your bravery. It just hangs there giving you just enough time to think there is something wrong with the ride. Then it happens, with no warning it lets go. I wont even try to describe what it feels like but I bet no one can do it with out screaming.

If you are going on the ride and get a chance go to the front seats. However there is no seperate queue for the front row, when the ride is busy you will be directed to the first available seats. You do get a good view where ever you sit but the front is by far the best place to be. If you are on the back row be prepared to get wet.

The next stage of ride photos has also arrived. 'Flight DVD's' these cost £20.33 inc tax. It's about 4 minutes long. It is a short presentation which starts with the story of Sheirka and the a prerecorded video from on the ride which is edited with footage from your own ride. We got one and I have to say all though it was a bit pricey it is an excellent souvenir from the day.

dawn
09-11-2005, 13:06
It is awesome isn't it - nothing comes close to it IMO. I wonder what they will come up with next!

Ana
09-11-2005, 15:32
I can't wait to try this! I went on Oblivion for the first time this Summer - I almost chickened out beforehand but then went straight on again afterwards :D

LiesaAnna
09-11-2005, 15:48
we didnt get to Busch this year but its a definate one for the next time we're there! my hubby will love this:D:D:D
of course i will still be bag holding!!;) i'm not silly!

Ray&Sarah
10-11-2005, 04:00
We have it on our list to go back so my eldest son and hubby can give this new ride a go, rather them than me, I'll hold the bags.[msnoo][msnwink][msnsmile2]

davy woods
15-11-2005, 02:43
Here we have the Shekra in all its glory.........................

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/davy woods/20051114224652_IMGA0026.JPG

4 times on the front carriage there's nothing like it and believe me I am a roller coaster junkie.
Dave

wrpac00
15-11-2005, 16:12
Going to Busch in August but you won't get me anywhere near this ride[msnscared]

crystalcove8513
10-01-2006, 00:30
Got to agree with Dave - this ride is awsome!

Hanging with just the bar holding you in, feet and arms dangling whilst you wait to be released...can't wait to go again!

djdigitald
10-01-2006, 00:37
Can't wait to go on it in February :D

bubbles_uk
13-01-2006, 20:07
Hi, im new to this, just saw this topic and clicked on it. sheikra is brilliant!!!! Just got back from florida and had a great time. It is the best ride ive ever been on (and ive been on the sky coaster in old town which comes a close 2ND)!! haha. The only downside, it dosn't seem to last long enough. haha.
take care all.

djdigitald
27-02-2006, 12:26
Went on Sheikra twice in a row and to be honest the best thing about it was the view you got when you got up to the top of the first hill. The drop was great but the rest of the ride was quite boring, there are a lot better coasters around Florida than that and i would rather do those then Sheikra if push came to shove. If truth be known i prefered Gwazi to Shiekra :D

Sharon G
15-04-2006, 06:19
Just been to Busch Gardens and went on Sheikra 3 times!! Loved it but I still have my other favourites!![msnwink][msnwink]