PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations

MaggieAllan
29-10-2004, 14:19
Just wondering how many other RL fans are out there?

For those of you who aren't, perhaps I could persuade you to watch this Saturday GB V Australia from the City of Manchester stadium on Sky sports...KO 6pm.

I realise other TV programmes are on ( and other things to do), but maybe one or two of you may take an interest?

And, if anyone knows of the whereabouts of any RL teams in Florida that we might go and watch whilst there, I would be very interested. I love watching all sports, but quite frankly the price of tickets for any basketball, football, baseball matches over their puts us off going.....but if anyone knows how to get cheap tickets?[msnwink]just let me know[grin]

KJH
29-10-2004, 23:06
I think we may have crossed on another thread. We support the London Broncos, us Southerners went to watch Australia v New Zealand last Sunday at QPR, it was a brilliant game and a good atmosphere.

Can't get to the Machester venue, my son has got a cup match tomorrow am,(football) rugby pm, a football league match Sunday. He's only 12.

Will be watching on Sky though.[clap][beer]

Kaz

KJH
31-10-2004, 01:40
MY son won, what happened to Great Britain?

poet123
31-10-2004, 01:57
Lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maggie as one who has to try to plan WDW around away games of WRLFC as opposed to home games we too would like to watch it in Florida, but it is unlikely even on satellite!!!!!!!![msnsmile2]

KJH
31-10-2004, 02:02
Hi Poet

What does the W stand for? Wigan, Warrington, Wakefield, widnes..............Big up the Broncos, ten new signings for next season........

Kaz

poet123
31-10-2004, 15:15
Sorry,assumed everyone would know I meant WIGAN!!!!!!!!!!knew Maggie would....[clap][clap]

MaggieAllan
01-11-2004, 00:40
So near but yet so far:(

Been reading all the forums ... the usual banter, and on the whole I think we were unlucky, but got to do better. A convincing win over NZ would do us good.

I don't think there are many of us judging by the response..and I've spoken to you two before...and yes I do know that you meant Wigan....we get reminded all the time on the forum that we are "only a small village in Wigan" or similar[msnwink][msnwink] the Pie eater and lobbygobbler banter has been around longer than I have...good humoured mostly...but you always get the odd idiot. And of course the banter with London is all about the north / south thing[laugh][laugh][laugh]

I do hope that we stay in SL ..it's going to be really hard, but we will give it our best shot. Wigan will be fine ( apart from when we play them [msnwink][msnwink]) . London and us with a couple of others will be battling it out to avoid relegation...not fair two going down....and as for Perpignon...

Do you go on the forums yourselves? Dm me if you do and I'll let you know my name on the forum.

Cowboy
01-11-2004, 23:46
Hi Maggie and Poet,
We are both staunch Wigan fans, but don't get to see them much live now that we are in Oxford. It has never been the same since Mr. Tesco demolished the hallowed Central Park. I did manage to get a treasured souvenir after the last game at Central Park though and is one of the first things people look at as they enter the office. It is over 50 years since I first stood in the "Hen Pen" listening to the March of the Gladiators as Wigan took the field.
The inscription on my key ring says :-
"Nobody's perfect, but everyone stands a chance as long as they don't support St. Helens"
Mike and Kath.

MaggieAllan
02-11-2004, 12:48
Hi Mike & Kath

I won't hold your allegiance against you[msnwink]

So we've got 2 Wigan, 1 London and 1 Leigh supporter so far ( I'm counting forum names only), not really what you would call tremendous interest!!!!

I think I recall someone contacting me before when I mentioned RL from the rhinos???? It would be nice to have at least one prson from each team to get some banter going...perhaps someone from their towns who takes an interest in sport could adopt them and join in with us? And I don't just mean Super League...any interest from any RL quarter would be great.

We'll have to keep in touch, especially when we play each other. It might be just over the forum because I probably won't get to London, but if you do get chance to come to Hilton Park let me know and I'll see you there.

Maggie

poet123
02-11-2004, 21:36
Cowboy,
My DH and you must be brothers!!!!!!!!!!We live on Wigan Lane so Tesco is now our corner shop!!!.
We too have bits of Central Park...... hallowed turf growing in our garden from the pitch, and a seat from one of the stands, and DH has March of the Gladiators as his mobile phone ring tone!! So you see we are slightly serious about the game and as for St Helens ....... enough said.
As you say the atmosphere isnt the same since the move, too big a stadium to generate the passion. I have a friend who was cremated and his ashes scattered on CP under the sticks, its a car park now!!!!. Another fiend who llives on our Road has not and will not set foot on the Tesco site as she considers it sacriledge, she even gets out of the car if her DH wants petrol from the Tesco petrol station!!!!!!!!!!
Maggie,
We have been to Hilton Park too, and were pleased with your recent elevation!
I think there is a Wakefield supporter on the boards as well.
Long live Rugby League!!!!!!!!!

poet123
02-11-2004, 21:38
Maggie,
Dh is a regular on Cherry and White, and I lurk occasionally but am usuallly on here!!

MaggieAllan
03-11-2004, 13:02
Gwen

What's DH mean ...sorry it's early morning and I'm probably being thick?

My name on rlfans is mh --- I don't think too hard when I pick a name!!!!! what is DHs' name?

MaggieAllan
03-11-2004, 14:20
Tezz-- a million thank yous - an avatar at last .. and on my birthday too.

Three cheers for Tezz [clap][clap][clap]

KJH
03-11-2004, 21:34
Happy birthday maggie,

[beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer]

Kaz

poet123
03-11-2004, 22:45
Happy Birthday Maggie..............
DH means Dear Husband!!

MaggieAllan
04-11-2004, 12:31
Ah! - Dear Husband .... I'll have to get up to speed with all these abrieviations....IMO, BTW, etc etc

It might be something to do with not using a mobile phone .. got one in the bottom of my handbag for emergencies... don't do texting.

I'm learning as I join more message boards though.....yes I'm afraid this forum has got me hooked...I'm now spending hours honing my www skills....much to the detriment of my housework....got people coming tomorrow night, so I'm giving myself until 9.30 am today before I start the clean up, but I know I'll be back later...well you have to have a coffee break occasionally whilst the hoover cools down;)

jolliffee
04-11-2004, 22:49
What's RL?

KJH
05-11-2004, 00:06
I hope you are winding us up,

Rugby League as opposed to rugby union

poet123
05-11-2004, 14:37
It the game which requires more skill and is interesting!!!!!!!!!!

KJH
07-11-2004, 00:12
TREBLE BAILEYS, WHAT A BRILLIANT GAME.

KAZ[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

MaggieAllan
07-11-2004, 15:34
Much improved ....but could do better IMO....having said that, should be the confidence booster they need to tackle the Aussies ... hopefully in the final as well.

Unfortunately for us and NZ we appear to be only managing 40 mins of rugby to be proud of , whereas the Aussies play both halves.

Sound like I'm down on us and the result....I'm not, far from it, just being typically British and cautious. Are you watching England this afternoon? I've got sport all day. Just watched a tape of the match last night, got England this afternoon, then Man U v City after that ( we are more of a football family than RL really).

Hubby is going to the Man U match - invite from prawn sandwich brigade - never manages to get me a ticket[msncry]

So, with all the time spent on here, my other sites and watching sport there's not much housework getting done again[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Do you like football? which team?

poet123
07-11-2004, 18:16
I am much more Rugby than football having been brought up with the game. Hubby and 2 of our 3 boys are Evertonians!!! 3rd is MU!!! Which is why I am neutral, as it keeps the peace more!!
Sunday mornings are spent watching football though as youngest son plays for a local team.

I thought Andy Farrell shouldnt have started the game though as to go off is worse than the team starting without him, and he was clearly unwell with no chance of playing the full game.

KJH
07-11-2004, 20:57
The only football I support is my 12 year old son's team. Standing in the rain today, 12.30-3.30. He supports Newcastle, don't know how this came about as we are from the South.

Saw the end of the England-Ireland game.

Saturday is Alfie football training am, then Uxbridge RC pm. as other half is club captain.

Just going round the mother-in-laws, Johns brother has come down for a visit with his children. They live in Chigwell.

Kaz

MaggieAllan
08-11-2004, 00:43
I agree that Andy and Fielden should have stayed out of the game , if we had lost they would have been the scapegoats as well as the usual trolling about Long and others. I understand the pride and desire to play but it could be costly. The game took a lot out of the players and imo yiu have a squad to utilise. We need the Farrell and fielden 110% fit for the Aussies, just hope the decision to play them doesn't have a detrimental effect on their recovery.

Hubby is back and well upset about the result...it was a terrible result for Man U. However, before the end of last season we predicted a 'poor' season as Alex reforms the squad...watch out 2005/6.

KJH
20-11-2004, 01:49
Hi Maggie,

We'll have to see what the 3 new players are made off. Matt Diskin, Micky Higham and Danny Ward, not a bad trio.

Even though the Kiwis can't get to the final, I bet they go all out to batter us.[B)] Just hope we don't let our defences down.:(

I know you don't like union but I still hope England WIN. [msnwink]

Kaz

MaggieAllan
20-11-2004, 02:09
I don't mind union.it's just I much prefer RL , football, tennis, golf, fishing, watching paint dry...typical armchair person me, anything to do with the UK or Eire and I back them......I'd even back Wigan if they were up against opposition I didn't favour!!!! Your lot have made a lot of signing recently haven't they. Our fans keep doing the usual and mithering the board for a fast winger and a big prop!!!!

No, good luck to England RU, they're mainly RL exes anyway!!!

Micky Higham is a Leigh lad so lots of watchers on our RL message board. Well, there are anyway, but special interest if he gets a run out.

just hope like everyone else we don't get any injuries, but think the game will be good on the back of last week, and all good preparation fot the final.

KJH
20-11-2004, 02:55
We appear to have made some good signings, we just hope they live up to their reputations.

At the Broncos presentation night, Denis Moran promised me he would not leave Broncos, Wigan's offer must have been extremely good!

Kaz

MaggieAllan
20-11-2004, 03:02
I think about four or five teams including ours are uncertain about next season with 2 dropping..lets hope that ours and the other so called drop zone teams have the last laugh.

I don't know what happened with Moran, the message boards were full of speculation....but we'll never know the truth I suppose. At the end of the day it's a job and they go for what seems the best at the time....you never know if he had insider knowledge of something that gave him a nudge?

Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow and I'll no doubt speak to you nearer to the final.

KJH
20-11-2004, 18:33
Just off to watch England[clap][clap][clap]