PDA

View Full Version : help!! my computers winding me up!!!!!!!PART 2,

LiesaAnna
27-10-2004, 22:05
does anyone know why my stupid computer keeps disconnecting???????????:(
we have checked the idle whatever and as my son is at work and dosent know what the problem is i thought i'd ask you guys!!!!!!
it just randomly disconnects when it feels like it and now i have to restart the PC,
we have upgraded to bt broadband 1mb (dont know if i can say that so correct me if i'm wrong) we upgraded on the 4th oct and this has been getting worse since then, bt say its not them!!!Help please!!!!

cant be without you lot!!!!![msncry]

HAVE ADDED A BIT, ITS NOW ON A GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![msnmad] THE WHOLE COMPUTOR, ANY IDEAS?????/

Magical Dreams
27-10-2004, 22:08
Do you have any phones plugged in that do NOT have a filter on them??

If so, you may find that this is the problem.

It could be the software, uninstall it and reinstall it!
Restart PC after each step!!

If this does not sort it out, ring BT 151 and ask the Technical department to turn up your line gain and that should solve it!!

Good Luck [lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky]

LiesaAnna
27-10-2004, 22:13
u angel, will look into after dinner!thanks:)

Magical Dreams
27-10-2004, 22:18
Fingers crossed it will work!!

[angel]

Lynne S
27-10-2004, 22:38
Good Luck, Hattie. Don't want to be without you either.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
28-10-2004, 03:01
oh well have taken the phone wire off, so lets see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and moved it back to origional place in the room[msnscared]

Magical Dreams
28-10-2004, 03:03
I'm sure it will!!
:D:D:D:D:D

LiesaAnna
02-11-2004, 11:59
right!!!!!!!!!!!!
am getting wound up again!!!!!!!!
anyone know why it is soooooooooo slow???????
havent been able to get around all the topics yet as its sooooooo slow!!

any ideas greatly appreciated..............

shenon
02-11-2004, 12:16
liesa you could try this....click on start,then click on run and type in msconfig....this will then take you to a page and you can click on start-up...you can then choose the programs that you donot want running in the background as running a lot of them can slow you right down.....hope this works for you:)

LiesaAnna
02-11-2004, 15:43
must have just been an exceptionally slow morning cos now i'm back from shopping it seems to be running normally!! fingers crossed! thanx for your help[msnwink]

CERICROWLEY
02-11-2004, 19:26
Liesa

If you still experience intermittant slow browsing. It could be the connection that is wire to the box and the pc. I had loads of problems when first on NTL broadband now approx 18 months ago. They came out and told me that the converter was not processing at a high enough speed and put a different screw on thing on the wire in the back of the box.

They told me that the signal comes through from the main box outside and then is transcripted by the box to which speed you have paid for.

Just a thought.

LiesaAnna
02-11-2004, 19:38
one to bear in mind! :)
thankyou

gromit
03-11-2004, 16:05
Hi Liesa (or Hattie as Lynne prefers!)

The problem is probably with BT 1mb. I have had the exact same problem. Absolutely fine when I was on 512, but when I upgraded it just randomly disconnects. I've tried the BT help desk, but they apparently haven't had anyone have this problem before...yeah, right!

I have no trouble when I connect through other networks away from home. If it is any consolation it happens a lot less frequently now than it used too. Try right clicking on the network icon and selecting repair connection. You may have to then click on IE File and deselect 'Work Offline' if it has a tick next to it, or perhaps shut down IE and restart it.

Of course all this is assuming you don't have SP2 and a wireless connection. That may be the cause, I had to uninstall SP2 from my laptop to get the wireless to work again. It would work for about 5 mins then stop recognising the connection requiring a full reboot...I can't swear or I would add what I thought of Mr Gate's Microsoft....[msnmad]

I should have bought an Apple!!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
03-11-2004, 16:57
Thanks for the info, touch wood, it has moments when it disconnects, before we went with Bt braodband my son was using freeserve, he had no problems whatsoever!!! ever!!!!!!
he gave the PC to us and bought himself a new one (upgraded model) we then went bt braodband, at first it would disconnect at times, i emailed bt they told us to check disconnect if idle settings, son checked everything, there was nothing wrong, but then it stopped disconnecting Mysteriously, we then upgraded our package as we kept using our storage they charged for extra so we upgraded , and now we have more storage it disconnects again, we think we sorted that by taking the extension cable (phone one) away, apart from yesterdays go slow and the occasional disconnect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so fingers crossed, now we know what to look at if it happens again,
Thanks for all your advise, all stored!!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 12:07
<span style="color:red">does anyone elses forum page go white instead of returning back to OV after i've written something in reply?????
probably just me again!!</span id="red">

MaggieAllan
04-11-2004, 12:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
<span style="color:red">does anyone elses forum page go white instead of returning back to OV after i've written something in reply?????
probably just me again!!</span id="red">
[/quote]

Mine doesn;t Leisa but why are you writing in red???? Well it is on my screen anyway...have you reset something? Or just gone Christmassy:)

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 12:25
Hi Maggie
i'm seeing red!!!!!!!!!:D:D
computers are all out to get me!!!!;)
no i posted it in red!!!!!!!!
but here we go again, once i click reply it will go back to OV the page i was on???????
well it hasnt been, it just goes blank! then i have to go back to the start again

MaggieAllan
04-11-2004, 12:44
Perhaps we should go on an IT course together as I have loads of problems as well.

Now does anyone know a good one running in Florida[msncool]

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 12:46
lol..............[msnwink]

shenon
04-11-2004, 13:38
my page also goes white after i have written something but i just press the back key a couple of times to return to the forum pages[confused]

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 15:01
yeh thats whats happening to me and to "go to first unread post", just shut the page, had to back back[msnoo]

chrizzy100
04-11-2004, 17:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
yeh thats whats happening to me and to "go to first unread post", just shut the page, had to back back[msnoo]
[/quote]

I get a new page come up after posting...its says go to active posts or home page.......

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 20:18
chrizzy, love your avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

and the pages seem to be working as before Correct!!!!!!!!![msnwink]

jolliffee
04-11-2004, 23:00
Liesa, you should check for spy ware on your PC, it will slow it down big time. Look on Google for a free package that will run a check. The best package you have to buy. Also your virus scanner can slow things down too. At the end of the day slow is relative, and could mean your PC is running too many programs.

You just shouldn’t drop the line when on broadband so I would raise this as a totally separate issue with BT. I assume you use a modem so get it checked out.
[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
04-11-2004, 23:33
cheers Dave!
The problems disconnecting constantly seemed to stop after we took the cheap and nasty extension wire off and the doubler,
seems to be fine now fingers crossed,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my son and friend are computer nuts, but it plays up when Russell has gone to work,
maybe its him;).......................................:D

jolliffee
04-11-2004, 23:59
Could be, Russell maybe tweaking it to keep it going (chuckle). You need to ensure you have good quality Microfilters and don't hang too much off the one being used by the PC.