PDA

View Full Version : Automatic log off?

kaysvacationvilla
26-10-2004, 20:01
A curious question for you. If I am logged in and viewing a topic on the forum and leave my computer for while, am I logged off by your system. Somtimes when I leave the computer but, leave your page open and come back later it appears that I have still been logged in and other times it appears that I am not. I can usually tell by using the active topics button. Is it a certain time of inactivity that effects this?

Make that another question. Is there every the possibility that you will have spell check as an option? I am a very bad speller and will often choose a different word than I want to use due to being afraid of spelling it wrong.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-10-2004, 21:39
The forums have a default timeout so if a user is inactive for a period then it will assume they have browsed on elsewhere and log them out. If you have the logon cookie for the forums on your PC (which you probably do) then it will log you back in as soon as you click on any forum page.

I'll look into the spell check option too as it would be a great addition to the forums.

linda allen
26-10-2004, 21:52
speell chek is a grate idear:D
linda

brizzle
26-10-2004, 22:04
For those that haven't seen this, this is great :

I cdnuol’t blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The pheonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy. It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? And I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

So, who needs to spell check eh? :D

tezz7628
26-10-2004, 23:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
The forums have a default timeout so if a user is inactive for a period then it will assume they have browsed on elsewhere and log them out. If you have the logon cookie for the forums on your PC (which you probably do) then it will <span style="color:red">log you back in as soon as you click on any forum page.</span id="red">
I'll look into the spell check option too as it would be a great addition to the forums.
[/quote]

i think i've forgotten to log off at the end of the night when i see the logged on screen in the mornings

that explains that then :)

Nostromo
26-10-2004, 23:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
The forums have a default timeout so if a user is inactive for a period then it will assume they have browsed on elsewhere and log them out.
[/quote]

Are you sure? At work, I use several different computers, all of which have OV forums in my favourite column, which can only be accessed when I log in to Windows as me and not by anyone else. But I seem to be permanently logged on to OV forums and I don't have to log out of it as long as I remember to log off Windows each time I leave the office (which is a necessity for us because of the confidential info on the other software in use). Even if someone else has looged in the same computer as themselves, it does not seem to cancel my OV log-in (which they cannot access of course). How does this work?

LiesaAnna
27-10-2004, 00:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
For those that haven't seen this, this is great :

I cdnuol&'t blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The pheonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy. It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? And I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

So, who needs to spell check eh? :D
[/quote]

i read every word perfect!!!!!! god i'm clever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brizzle
27-10-2004, 00:15
It's probably a cookie Nostromo.
In fact maybe that's Kay is being logged off, the cookie settings are a little higher?

Brizzle

LiesaAnna
27-10-2004, 00:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
The forums have a default timeout so if a user is inactive for a period then it will assume they have browsed on elsewhere and log them out. If you have the logon cookie for the forums on your PC (which you probably do) then it will <span style="color:red">log you back in as soon as you click on any forum page.</span id="red">
[/quote]

i think i've forgotten to log off at the end of the night when i see the logged on screen in the mornings

that explains that then :)
[/quote]

when iam up in the middle of the night, i can assure you that i have been the only person browsing in the forum, i saw Espirit the other night only, so its like john says it has a loggout timer, i have often wondered about that, i thought i would check through my sons computor to see if it has shut me out but i forgot!!!!!![msneek]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-10-2004, 00:57
Yes, you will be logged off but as soon as you reload any forum page it will log you on automatically (if you have the login ccokie which you probably do) so it appears to you that you have not logged off.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
The forums have a default timeout so if a user is inactive for a period then it will assume they have browsed on elsewhere and log them out.
[/quote]

Are you sure? At work, I use several different computers, all of which have OV forums in my favourite column, which can only be accessed when I log in to Windows as me and not by anyone else. But I seem to be permanently logged on to OV forums and I don't have to log out of it as long as I remember to log off Windows each time I leave the office (which is a necessity for us because of the confidential info on the other software in use). Even if someone else has looged in the same computer as themselves, it does not seem to cancel my OV log-in (which they cannot access of course). How does this work?
[/quote]

Nostromo
27-10-2004, 01:02
OK, thank you John & Brizzle. I know others cannot access my pages because I have tried to find OV forums without success when my colleague is logged into Windows (he let me try); and yet, when he logged off and I logged-in, I got inot OV forums without having to Log-in for it. So it must be cookies then (I hope that they are Danish! love 'em).