PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustines Night of Lights.

andrewmckay5
25-10-2004, 00:32
We have never been but I have just been reading about the above and it sounds quite delightful.America's oldest city dating back to 1565( although rather like the number of places George Washington has slept in this may not be true.)
Over a million lights luminate the bayfront and downtown historic district at xmas.
North of Daytona and might be worth a visit for something different.
December through tel 1-800-OLD-CITY

andrew

Mo Green
19-11-2004, 17:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
We have never been but I have just been reading about the above and it sounds quite delightful.America's oldest city dating back to 1565( although rather like the number of places George Washington has slept in this may not be true.)
Over a million lights luminate the bayfront and downtown historic district at xmas.
North of Daytona and might be worth a visit for something different.
December through tel 1-800-OLD-CITY

andrew
[/quote]

Andrew. If you get a chance to go it is really lovely and so different to the Gulf Coast or Central Florida. It really does have several old buildings including a Spanish fort built in 1740. I would recommend staying in one of the older Victorian houses which have Verandahs with rocking chairs. We stayed in one which was beautifully decorated for Christmas like something out of a glossy mag. We had a huge bedroom with log fire - all very romantic.
The town has quite a Spanish feel to it and there is the old Spanish quarters with living history museum.
They have 'trolley' tours round the town (The Jolly Holly Christmas Trolley!!)which is a great way of seeing the lights.
The restaurants are great with anything from Mexican, Italian, Greek through to Japanese. We found a cuban one with a small dance floor when a wedding party (of south american origin)arrived. They looked like something out of the god-father but could they dance! It was a great evening's entertainment but, with a non-english speaking waiter, I was amazed to be using my very limited Spanish in Florida.
It is several degrees colder than the Gulf Coast though - we arrived in out usual shorts etc and found all the other guests in jeans and jumpers. Fortunately we had bought jeans with us but had to go out and buy a couple of sweaters.
It is still amazing what a state the size of Florida has to offer.

CarolAnn
19-11-2004, 18:46
The place sounds wonderful :) I sure hope to get there, maybe next year? We are hoping to get out to Florida twice next year, and I keep saying to everyone, we must get away from the parks and shopping all the time [:O][:O] It has been lovely, but this site has really made me feel like there is SUCH a lot more to Florida[msnsmile2]
Thanks for the info!!

Ray&Sarah
19-11-2004, 19:09
We have been saying we will have to visit St Augustine for ages and haven't got around to it yet, afer such a great report Maureen we will definately be going.[msnsmile2]

Mo Green
19-11-2004, 19:13
People are always surprised just how much there is to see and do in Florida CarolAnn. Even after several years of visiting there are still places to see things to do.

Bazamor
19-11-2004, 20:53
There is a write up on St augustine on OFV. We were there in August and its really worth going to spend a weekend there.

Joolz
30-11-2004, 01:58
How long does it take to drive there from Orlando - kissimmee?

Mo Green
30-11-2004, 03:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Joolz
How long does it take to drive there from Orlando - kissimmee?
[/quote]

We drove up from our villa on the Gulf Coast but I think it was just under 2 hours from Orlando.

Joolz
30-11-2004, 16:11
Thanks Mo !
May be we will do that week before christmas!!

Mo Green
30-11-2004, 17:00
Take something warm Joolz. It is much cooler than Orlando.

Joolz
30-11-2004, 17:13
Ok will do!!Thanks

SunLover
30-11-2004, 17:29
Sounds like a great place to visit for a long weekend.

Something else to add onto the "to do" list [:P]

chrizzy100
30-11-2004, 18:41
My neighbour has a condo in St. Augustines ....I think we are staying there for a few days after Christmas...we have stayed there on a drive down.........but never to to look around much because we were meeting people in Orlando......