PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Florida

orlandobabe
23-10-2004, 01:31
Having driven for the first time on my last trip to Orlando -I was quite surprised to see several drivers not using their headlights when it rains during the daylight hours.

I wondered if everyone knew that this is what you are supposed to do-I also wondered if the drivers were not from the US.

I found it hard on grey days (not that we had too many thankfully) to see what was coming up behind me or alongside of me-so just thought I'd mention it.

It's not a requirement in the UK-but is over there.

tezz7628
23-10-2004, 01:36
always thought that was the case, headlights on that is :)

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 01:55
we read if you need your windscreen wipers on then you must have your headlights on:)

gromit
23-10-2004, 02:15
I thought that if it was raining you had to have your wipers and lights on......

Nostromo
23-10-2004, 12:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandobabe
Having driven for the first time on my last trip to Orlando -I was quite surprised to see several drivers not using their headlights when it rains during the daylight hours.
[/quote]

I must confess that I did not encounter this problem on the (thankfully rare!) rainy days on my Orlando trips. In fact I thought Americans used their car headlamps more readily than us in the UK. I remember while driving to Kennedy Space Center during our 1995 visit, it started chucking down suddenly and everyone got their headlights on - except me that is! [msnembarrased][msnembarrased]. Thankfully, I realised my error soon enough.

On long, straight and lonely roads that we encountered while driving in Wyoming, the locals had their headlights on in broad, sunny daylight! I later learned that this had something to do with the drivers' depth perception being affected by 'highway hypnosis'.

blott
23-10-2004, 16:32
They do the same on 7 mile bridge on the way to the Keys Nostromo. Without the headlights on, you can't tell how far away a car coming in the opposite direction actually is to judge overtaking and, er, 7 mile bridge is a long 7 miles stuck behind someone!