PDA

View Full Version : Stars!!!!!!!!! and their meanings

LiesaAnna
22-10-2004, 19:26
Are we going to get a rundown now of the obviously changed ratings now with the stars, i dont really care to much, but it adds a little fun to a boring afternoon, and now i'm a chatterbox think i'll have to quieten down and have less to say, not a child any more!!!![msntongue]

oh well, think this is whats happened!!! correct me if i'm wrong!

up to 100 1 BLUE STAR FLORIDA NEWBIE
100=200 2 BLUE STARS FLORIDA JUNIOR
200-700 3 BLUE STARS FLORIDA CHATTERBOX
700 4 SILVER STARS FLORIDA EXPERT

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-10-2004, 20:45
Not quite - it depends on a few other things too, not just number of postings [msnwink]

I'm not going to make the details available as the whole idea is to try and discourage people from chasing star ratings by posting one-liners which are not informative. I'd rather people take less notice of the stars (they are only there as a bit of fun anyway) and use the forums to post informative, helpful advice, or to ask questions related to vacation planning in Florida. Of course, there is the General Chat area for other items you want to discuss too [msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
Are we going to get a rundown now of the obviously changed ratings now with the stars, i dont really care to much, but it adds a little fun to a boring afternoon, and now i'm a chatterbox think i'll have to quieten down and have less to say, not a child any more!!!![msntongue]

oh well, think this is whats happened!!! correct me if i'm wrong!

up to 100 1 BLUE STAR FLORIDA NEWBIE
100=200 2 BLUE STARS FLORIDA JUNIOR
200-700 3 BLUE STARS FLORIDA CHATTERBOX
700 4 SILVER STARS FLORIDA EXPERT
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
22-10-2004, 21:17
this is what most do, and add a bit of humour at the same time, i dont care about the stars but now its been brought to our attention i do,
i do understand why tho, lets hope we dont have to be villa owners to go GOLD[msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-10-2004, 21:24
You do not have to be a villa owner to go Gold [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
22-10-2004, 21:37
must just say i feel reluctant to post anything now incase you think i'm just out to make stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!am sure i'm not alone in that...
and it seems a bit quiet in the other rooms:(

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-10-2004, 21:38
That would be a shame as that is not the intention at all.

It's always quiet this time of day as people are on their way home from work or having dinner in the UK and probably still at work in the US.

must just say i feel reluctant to post anything now incase you think i'm just out to make stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!am sure i'm not alone in that...
and it seems a bit quiet in the other rooms:(
[/quote]

eagleydo
22-10-2004, 22:31
It is really quiet today, it has been for many hours now. I wonder too if this star thing is the cause. Have thought twice before posting myself because I have felt that I have been doing something wrong after reading the reason for the change in awards, ie. people only posting to get stars.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-10-2004, 23:11
Looking at the forum stats we have had easily as many postings as we do any Friday. I think you are seeing things that are not there.

I'm sure most people have not even read about the Star Wars as it's of no interest to them. Most users are more interested in getting on with planning their vacations.

At the end of the day someone has to maintain order on these forums (as they would on any forums). It's not an easy job and whatever you do someone will not like it, but it's a job that needs to be done and that is what I'm doing. I'm happy with the descisions made today as are the vast majority of forum users who have DM'd me with their support [msnsmile2].

Enough said!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
It is really quiet today, it has been for many hours now. I wonder too if this star thing is the cause. Have thought twice before posting myself because I have felt that I have been doing something wrong after reading the reason for the change in awards, ie. people only posting to get stars.
[/quote]

gromit
22-10-2004, 23:39
So what's a Florida Savvy?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-10-2004, 23:45
Someone who has 2 stars. Any other suggestions people have on what to call each of the 0-5 stars would certainly be appreciated as it's really tricky thinking up ones which everyone will be ok with.

Here's one that was suggested earlier which I like the look of as it retains the fun element of the star system:

Check In Desk 1 star
Departures Lounge 2 stars
Duty Free 3 stars
Boarding 4 stars
Arrival 5 stars

Anyone any thoughts?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gromit
[/quote]

chrizzy100
22-10-2004, 23:48
[/quote]

Its only quiet because I've been out for pizza..........[laugh][laugh]

If you're not going to get a star for chat chat......it should not stop you from chatting......I've made some very close friends on this site.....and sometimes we chat to much.....change the topic....etc.....its all part of being in a forum......we don't all agree.....and we don't have to all like whats said....but if you're not rude to others....its all in good fun.....[beer]

chrisj
23-10-2004, 00:08
I just go with the flow and try to obey the rules, dont always work but hey thats me :)

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 00:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Someone who has 2 stars. Any other suggestions people have on what to call each of the 0-5 stars would certainly be appreciated as it's really tricky thinking up ones which everyone will be ok with.

Here's one that was suggested earlier which I like the look of as it retains the fun element of the star system:

Check In Desk 1 star
Duty Free 3 stars
Boarding 4 stars
Arrival 5 stars

Anyone any thoughts?

[/quote]
[/quote]

sounds fun!
maybe get a collection then you top guys vote which group you like the best![msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-10-2004, 00:43
Sounds like a good idea. If we get enough good collections we could run a forum poll on it and take votes for the one to use. That way everybody is happy [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Check In Desk 1 star
Duty Free 3 stars
Boarding 4 stars
Arrival 5 stars

Anyone any thoughts?

[/quote]
[/quote]

sounds fun!
maybe get a collection then you top guys vote which group you like the best![msnwink]
[/quote]

MTP
23-10-2004, 00:54
the whole idea is to try and discourage people from chasing star ratings by posting one-liners which are not informative.[/quote]

What you mean you expect more than one word postings!!! and on a regular basis!!!! and you want them to be informative!!!!!

I'd be pasted if I had to do all that!

MTP
23-10-2004, 00:59
Here's one suggestion:

1 star - Coach Class
2 star - Premium Economy
3 star - Business Class
4 star - First Class
5 star - Private Jet

hamish
23-10-2004, 01:37
Now, come on guys and gals.
John and Sarah do a terrific job, I for one think the site is great and very well run and after visiting florida for many many years I think "florida savvy" sounds about right, my only regret is i did not find this forum sooner.
Ilike the way you can express your opinions even though they may be at odds with others on the forum, (not the case on other forums) truly democratic.
The shared information is very helpful to all and the various tips and suggestions that arrive on an almost daily basis are most enlitening, not to mention the general banter and chit-chat.
So a big thank you to those that make it possible and long may you continue.!

Now wheres my star gone.!!?[msnwink]

P.S.Has Tyson decided to stay in the U.S. ??[msncry][msnwink]

tezz7628
23-10-2004, 01:44
you could always do a poll :D :D :D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-10-2004, 01:47
I already suggested that - see my post above [msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
you could always do a poll :D :D :D
[/quote]

gromit
23-10-2004, 01:57
I quite like Florida Savvy too!:)

andrewmckay5
23-10-2004, 02:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MTP
Here's one suggestion:

1 star - Coach Class
2 star - Premium Economy
3 star - Business Class
4 star - First Class
5 star - Private Jet
[/quote]

Nice one, gets my vote
andrew

23-10-2004, 02:09
Heres one for you - very predictable coming from me LOL

1 star - Flight attendant
2 star - Purser
3 star - Cabin service director
4 star - First officer
5 star - Captain

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

eagleydo
23-10-2004, 02:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Its only quiet because I've been out for pizza..........[laugh][laugh]

If you're not going to get a star for chat chat......it should not stop you from chatting......I've made some very close friends on this site.....and sometimes we chat to much.....change the topic....etc.....its all part of being in a forum......we don't all agree.....and we don't have to all like whats said....but if you're not rude to others....its all in good fun.....[beer]
[/quote]
I don't have a problem with not getting stars and I like the new tiles ie. chatterbox. What I am trying to say is I like the forum and don't want to offend anyone because I am chatting too much or posting too many pics. I have been so happy since I found this forum and the advise I received before Hurricane Jeanne helped me immeasurably whilst I was in Florida. The info on skyventure and where to get a discount coupon, the help for my visit at New Year and many other hints. This site is so helpful.

amy
23-10-2004, 02:15
Where are we going with the new names? they all seem to have disappeared. are we waing for some new ones? why not have a poll on the best ones?

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 02:15
5*****winnie the pooh
4****Tigger
3***piglet
2**eyeore
1*owl

[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 02:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
Where are we going with the new names? they all seem to have disappeared. are we waing for some new ones? why not have a poll on the best ones?
[/quote]

Thats whats being thought of, have a go get some ideas in!!!!!!!!!

chrizzy100
23-10-2004, 02:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Its only quiet because I've been out for pizza..........[laugh][laugh]

[/quote]
I don't have a problem with not getting stars and I like the new tiles ie. chatterbox. What I am trying to say is I like the forum and don't want to offend anyone because I am chatting too much or posting too many pics. I have been so happy since I found this forum and the advise I received before Hurricane Jeanne helped me immeasurably whilst I was in Florida. The info on skyventure and where to get a discount coupon, the help for my visit at New Year and many other hints. This site is so helpful.
[/quote]

They put up with me......:D
I'm always going off topic...and chatting away......:D

MTP
23-10-2004, 02:57
Or you could have:

Florida Penguin
Florida Sea lion
Florida Dolphin
Florida Manatee
Florida 'Gator

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-10-2004, 03:00
Keep them coming MTP - great suggestions so far [msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MTP
Or you could have:

Florida Penguin
Florida Sea lion
Florida Dolphin
Florida Manatee
Florida 'Gator
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 03:01
Or you could have:

Florida Penguin
Florida Sea lion
Florida Dolphin
Florida Manatee
Florida 'Gator
[/quote]

i like it![msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-10-2004, 03:02
I like it

5*****winnie the pooh
4****Tigger
3***piglet
2**eyeore
1*owl

[msnwink]
[/quote]

ravtino
23-10-2004, 12:53
Until I was reading a post last night I didn't even know things had changed - shows how much notice I takes of them, I was that chuffed to get my avatar on!! now all I need to do is be able to post some photos!!!![msnsmile]

gromit
23-10-2004, 21:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

2 star - Purser
4 star - First officer
5 star - Captain

[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[/quote]

CSD? Must be BA [msnwink] Oh no, on second thoughts the FO wouldn't be on the list then[msnwink][msnwink]

gromit
23-10-2004, 21:16
How about:

5* - Magic Kingdom
4* - Universal
3* - Seaworld
2* - Animal Kingdom
1* - Splendid China

[msnwink]

gromit
23-10-2004, 21:58
Actually, thinking about it again, maybe not Splendid China for 1* as it isn't open anymore, perhaps Wet and Wild or Epcot would work better!

MTP
23-10-2004, 22:24
Another option would be a ranking based on the kudos of five rides say from Goofy's Barnstormer to Kraken - but there would be a huge argument to agree this before it could be implemented.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-10-2004, 22:49
Hmmm - could be controversial as a lot of people really love Epcot and would rate it as their favourite park.

Actually, thinking about it again, maybe not Splendid China for 1* as it isn't open anymore, perhaps Wet and Wild or Epcot would work better!
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
23-10-2004, 23:52
Planets

from the sun outwards:-

MERCURY <span style="color:red">*****
</span id="red">
VENUS <span style="color:orange">****</span id="orange">
EARTH <span style="color:yellow">***</span id="yellow">
MARS <span style="color:pink">**</span id="pink">
JUPITER <span style="color:blue">*</span id="blue">

[msnembarrased]

24-10-2004, 00:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

2 star - Purser
4 star - First officer
5 star - Captain

[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[/quote]

CSD? Must be BA [msnwink] Oh no, on second thoughts the FO wouldn't be on the list then[msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]

Correct!!![msnsmile]

gromit
24-10-2004, 20:42
Hmmm - could be controversial as a lot of people really love Epcot and would rate it as their favourite park.

[/quote]
[/quote]

It's a worry when my own wife didn't realise I was joking about Splendid China and tried to correct me[msnscared]

kaysvacationvilla
24-10-2004, 21:22
They all sound good to me accept for the first suggestion of "duty free" in one of the listings as that as would not be one of the steps for us US posters to go to Florida.

I hadn't even noticed the change until I read this!

brizzle
24-10-2004, 22:34
* = Immigration
** = Monorail Ride
*** = Baggage Collection
**** = Car Rental
***** = Relaxing in Villa

:)

Brizzle

PoohFan
24-10-2004, 22:58
A variation on a theme:

* Check-in
** Passport Control
*** Boarding
**** Taxiing
***** Take-off

PoohFan
24-10-2004, 23:00
Sorry John, just realised you posted something similar earlier - oops!

blott
25-10-2004, 02:17
Why have we got flight suggestions? This is meant to be a Florida forum and the flight's only a very tiny part of it.

brizzle
25-10-2004, 20:51
Easiest way to represent 'progression' I suppose.
You could have Florida things but you'd have to have some progression to it.

* Dennys
** Perkins
*** Olive Garden
**** Boma
***** Victoria and Alberts

and before people flame me, I like Dennys but it is considered a lower end eatery by the Americans [:P]

Brizzle.

gromit
26-10-2004, 00:41
How about for something like copper, bronze, silver, gold, platinum?

Or if you like a bit more sparkle there's always gem stones to turn to!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-10-2004, 00:43
Some good suggestions here.

linda.s
26-10-2004, 01:06
How about
1* = Goofy
2* = Pluto
3* = Donald Duck
4* = Minnie
5* = Mickey

MTP
26-10-2004, 01:30
1* - On the Launch Pad
2* - Blasting Off
3* - Lunar Orbit
4* - Watery Splasdown
5* - There & Back & Wrote the book

gromit
26-10-2004, 02:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
How about
1* = Goofy
2* = Pluto
3* = Donald Duck
4* = Minnie
5* = Mickey
[/quote]

I was trying to think of a Disney one, I thought Mickey had to be the 5 stars but couldn't decide which order to put or who to use for the others. I think this is great Linda!!

brizzle
26-10-2004, 11:04
But surely Donald is higher than Minnie and Pluto lower than Goofy ;)

Nostromo
26-10-2004, 17:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
How about
1* = Goofy
2* = Pluto
3* = Donald Duck
4* = Minnie
5* = Mickey
[/quote]

Hey, no fair! I like Goofy much better than boring old Minnie!;)

Nostromo
26-10-2004, 17:57
Since we are dealing with STARS here how about army officer ranks?

* Lieutenant
** Captain
*** Major
**** Colonel
***** General

Don't you think General Blott sounds rather nice? [msnwink][msnwink]:D:D. Also, a promotion (eg from Captain to Major) will then have a literal meaning.

blott
26-10-2004, 18:55
If we're going into the Army, I'll have to get some rifle practice in first Nostromo! [gun] [laugh]

Nostromo
26-10-2004, 19:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
If we're going into the Army, I'll have to get some rifle practice in first Nostromo! [gun] [laugh]
[/quote]

That laughing head looks disturbingly like mine! [msnscared][msnscared]

chrisj
26-10-2004, 19:26
Very interesting thread, like all the suggestions

blott
26-10-2004, 19:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

That laughing head looks disturbingly like mine! [msnscared][msnscared]
[/quote][:O] Never!

chrizzy100
26-10-2004, 20:30

* Lieutenant
** Captain
*** Major
**** Colonel
***** General

Don't you think General Blott sounds rather nice? [msnwink][msnwink]:D:D. Also, a promotion (eg from Captain to Major) will then have a literal meaning.

[/quote]

Then John could be President.....and Blott President of vice.....I mean Vice President...........[laugh][laugh][laugh][angel]

LiesaAnna
26-10-2004, 21:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

* Lieutenant
** Captain
*** Major
**** Colonel
***** General

[/quote]

Then John could be President.....and Blott President of vice.....I mean Vice President...........[laugh][laugh][laugh][angel]

[/quote]

yep like that a lot[msnwink][msnwink][clap]
[beer][beer][beer][beer]

Madabouttigger
27-10-2004, 12:45
1* - On the Launch Pad
2* - Blasting Off
3* - Lunar Orbit
4* - Watery Splasdown
5* - There & Back & Wrote the book
[/quote]

Some good suggestions but I don't really feel that I want to be blasting off or a watery splash down thank you. Much nicer to be Florida Savy.
[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
27-10-2004, 13:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger[br
Some good suggestions but I don't really feel that I want to be blasting off or a watery splash down thank you. Much nicer to be Florida Savy.
[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

How do you like being a 'Florida Captain' then? with two stars, you could be. :):)

MTP
27-10-2004, 18:58
How does this look for a more silver/sparkly star?

Current:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2004102714574_icon_star_silver.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2004102714574_icon_star_silver.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2004102714574_icon_star_silver.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2004102714574_icon_star_silver.gif

Updated:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/20041027145524_icon_star_silver_2.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/20041027145524_icon_star_silver_2.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/20041027145524_icon_star_silver_2.gifhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/20041027145524_icon_star_silver_2.gif

LiesaAnna
27-10-2004, 21:09
i think that looks better, :D