PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Board Game

Rich-n-Ang
21-10-2004, 18:23
We love to play games as a family, what is your favourite board game (maybe owners could use the poll as a guide if providing games in their villas).

linda.s
21-10-2004, 18:50
Monopoly is a fave, but then so is Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble! We also play hangman, or squares, just using paper!

Cruella DeVilla
21-10-2004, 18:54
Monopoly for me to, passes hours of boredom when I was a kid, don't think Gran and Grandad liked it much though. Just about to buy the Simpsons version!

chris c
21-10-2004, 19:45
I am a reasonably placid person, but seem to change when I play Monopoly. I think it must be because there's money involved!!
I have even been known to tip the board over.
Scrabble's more my thing!

Cruella DeVilla
21-10-2004, 19:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris c
I am a reasonably placid person, but seem to change when I play Monopoly. I think it must be because there's money involved!!
I have even been known to tip the board over.
Scrabble's more my thing!
[/quote]

No that's naughty[}:)]Tipping the board over[B)]

Nostromo
21-10-2004, 20:40
I had to vote 'other'. When I was a kid back in the 1960s, there was a limited edition board game called 'Thunderball' based on the James Bond film. I thought it was brilliant, largely because you not only fought your opponent, but occasionally yourself as well. Never came across anything else like it.

LiesaAnna
21-10-2004, 21:59
i voted monopoly, dont play often, but the kids do ,

rosie
21-10-2004, 22:52
I voted "other", we are board game nuts and often have games nights with friends. We have a game called Hummbug and its hilarious after a few [drinkbeer] Also love Cranium, Triv and Rapidough.

jolliffee
21-10-2004, 23:05
Don't like scabble don't spell very well[msncry]

ellie
21-10-2004, 23:18
wel if yew carnt spel it mite help yew lern how too, Dave![msnwink]

We like good old fashioned cards - our friends have taught us lots of different games. Have to admit that I love jigsaw puzzles, and one of my first ports of call is the toy shop in Premium Outlets Mall as they have some wonderful ones there.

Mind you, Trivial Pursuit comes a close 3rd!

:D [angel]

linda allen
22-10-2004, 00:00
"mah jong", I think thats how you spell it. (I'm not very good at spelling either)It's a chinese game usually associated with gambling but we play for fun not money. My other favorite is "articulate"

ellie
22-10-2004, 00:13
Isn't it great that even in this high tech world we live in, we can still enjoy the simple games that families have played together for years. Maybe its because the computer can be a very solitary playmate.

One of the things we love about going on holiday is actually making time to sit down as a family and enjoy each others company, playing games, cards etc. instead of constantly being distracted by other things.:)

amy
22-10-2004, 01:05
Trivial pursuit for us, we have just bought the Disney version which is great.[msnsmile]

bryj
22-10-2004, 02:48
ok, I have to admit it, I have just removed a reply saying that "we love mah jong too", having been told that SHE wrote the first mention of it! I can see that now. And I thought I had found a new friend, maybe even a soul mate, with whom I could spend blissful hours discussing the joys of the concealed Kong.
But it was just the wife.

daxon
22-10-2004, 02:54
Has to be Cleudo!!! Miss Peacock in the conservatory with the spanner!!!

heathercobbett
28-10-2004, 22:20
Definitely scrabble

Least favourite is Monopoly because the winner is predictable so early on.My mother used to tell me that her family bought Monopoly when it first came over to England and played all day,through the night and the following day.

Oh my least favourite of all,Top Trumps,which my youngest son loved.The hours of excrutiating boredom I have had playing that

A recent favourite is "Who is in the bag?" we always play by giving the most slanderous hints;whether true or not.

When we first bought our house our M.C. laughed at us for suppling board games;however,they got such a positive feedback that they soon asked all the owners to supply them.

Magical Dreams
28-10-2004, 22:34
Has to be monopoly

All that money slipping through your fingers!!

Buying houses or Villas!!

Plus EVERYONE knows how to play it!!

[grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug]

MaggieAllan
29-10-2004, 14:37
I voted other, I do enjoy the games listed, but as the question is related to time in the villa, I would go for a compendium of games.
They are usually simple, all age ranges can join in, and they don't take a long time.

My family (extended) have always enjoyed playing cards and dominoes as well. And jigsaws, we leave them on the dining room table for everyone to keep going back to, the more difficult the better.

The only problem is of course...any game involving pieces...many a hoover has been blocked...and games thrown away as they become impossible to play any more. So, on reflection, games like pictionary and charades where you can make up your own themes are probably the best, so villa owners need not supply any?

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with......

ctgirlscout
29-10-2004, 16:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daxon
Has to be Cleudo!!! Miss Peacock in the conservatory with the spanner!!!
[/quote]

I was going to vote for Clue, but it wasn't on the list! Do you all call it Cluedo? And what is a spanner?

Carla
29-10-2004, 16:50
I think that you call a spanner, a wrench, Teresa, and Clue is the same as Cluedo.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Rich-n-Ang
29-10-2004, 16:51
I think its the same game Cluedo (UK) and Clue (USA), does the USA version have a Billiard room ?

A spanner (UK) is a wrench (USA).

heathercobbett
29-10-2004, 21:55
We have put a 3d jigsaw in our villa.
Despite the best efforts of all the family we could not do it,so I took it to Florida for the guests
I meant to stick a noteon it saying sign your name if you complete it;I will do that next time we go.

ctgirlscout
31-10-2004, 01:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
I think its the same game Cluedo (UK) and Clue (USA), does the USA version have a Billiard room ?

A spanner (UK) is a wrench (USA).
[/quote]

Yes, the US version has a billiard room. Thanks for the clarifcation!

chunkichik
12-11-2004, 05:20
It has to be monopoly, but not just any old one, DISNEY MONOPOLY of course! ( oh and Disney Scrabble too!)

mollymoo
12-11-2004, 15:38
It's got to be Disney Triva, It plays intro's to music and you have to guess where its from.

Its FAB[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Kerry-Ann

Rich-n-Ang
12-11-2004, 19:03
Disney Scabble ?
Is this just normal scrabble but you can only use Disney related words.

Another game we like is "Compatibility" but I've only ever met one other person thats ever played it so its obviously not very common, which is why I didn't put it in the poll.

chunkichik
16-11-2004, 03:19
You can spell normal words too!! Has anyone on here played Disney Trivial Pursuit? I got if for xmas about three years ago and between 6 adults and 3 children, I think we got about 1 question right, it was REALLY HARD, gave up and never played it since, should put it on ebay I think!!

traceya89
16-11-2004, 05:32
i love the hard rock monopoly and orlando is the equivalent of mayfair!!
we also have wizard of oz monopoly and some other rare ones we bought in the usa.

Joolz
16-11-2004, 16:21
Other

We really like a game you can only seem to get in USA - called 'Sequence'. We were given it as a gift and have bought several for gifts from Walmart since then....
Its based on 2 standard sets of playing cards with a board marked with each card and you have to play with a partner to get a sequence placed on the board. Its great fun and you can play with the kids too.