PDA

View Full Version : Extra Drivers with Dollar

brizzle
21-10-2004, 17:24
I think I know the answer to this but just want some clarification.

We have a van booked for November with Dollar and there will be three drivers.
My (cunning) plan is to leave the other two drivers to collect the baggage while I go downstairs in MCO to get the car sorted.
I know they can't drive the car until they sign the insurance but...
I was then planning to go to the Dollar office on I Drive within the next couple of days to get them put on the insurance.

This should hopefully beat some queueing in the airport.
They never drive for a few days anyway so it will be me driving initially anyhoo.

Am I right in thinking I can do this?

Brizzle.

linda allen
21-10-2004, 17:53
We booked our car with alamo and paid for three drivers, but the third driver arrived a week later so we just popped into a local branch and they added his name and took his details then without any hassle.:)

Ann-Marie
21-10-2004, 18:16
This has been mentioned on the forum before and I'm sure Roger/John said it was ok to do this. However, I'm sure they'll soon confirm this on reading your post.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-10-2004, 18:21
Yes that should be ok.

Nostromo
21-10-2004, 20:50
When we went in April 2004, my brother-in-Law was the second driver. I had his paperwork with me while he was helping the ladies out with the luggage upstairs, but the Dollar agent would have none of it. He insisted on seeing the whites of Ramesh's eyes (which were a bit red by then) before he would accept the agreement.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-10-2004, 21:25
I think what we are discussing is just signing up as a single driver on arrival and then adding the other driver(s) at a Dollar location on a later date.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
When we went in April 2004, my brother-in-Law was the second driver. I had his paperwork with me while he was helping the ladies out with the luggage upstairs, but the Dollar agent would have none of it. He insisted on seeing the whites of Ramesh's eyes (which were a bit red by then) before he would accept the agreement.
[/quote]

brizzle
21-10-2004, 22:47
That's it. I will ask when I get to the desk but it looks like I will be able to do it no problems.

Brizzle

chris
24-10-2004, 01:58
When we went out last year, we hired from Dollar through this site and they didnt request that I went in and saw anyone to be the second driver. Paul didnt even have my driving licence or anything when he picked up the car as I came 3 days later. Does this mean I was driving around uninsured? He did ask at the desk when he picked up the car.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-10-2004, 13:17
Yes it does I'm afraid.

For some reason they do not stress this at the desk but the fact is that if you do not sign the rental agreement then yoou are not insured to drive the car.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris
When we went out last year, we hired from Dollar through this site and they didnt request that I went in and saw anyone to be the second driver. Paul didnt even have my driving licence or anything when he picked up the car as I came 3 days later. Does this mean I was driving around uninsured? He did ask at the desk when he picked up the car.
[/quote]

finishrich
20-12-2004, 00:10
That's quite frightening.[msneek]

My DH went into the dollar office while me and our son waited outside with the luggage. He took my driving license and passport in and handed them over but they didn't say anything about me having to go in and sign anything. Luckily I never did drive the car.

But I guess we'll be more careful next time.

MaggieAllan
20-12-2004, 00:19
I did'nt know this.So, if I understand correctly, if we do as usual ( gold cover so all drivers in party covered so we thought) and only one of us picks up the car whilst the others take care of lugggage and children, we are NOT all covered? That's frightening that we were never told about it before!!

Tracey K
23-12-2004, 01:43
Last week we had a similar scenario where I was sorting out lost baggage and Paul went to collect the car. Dollar did need me to sign the agreement but they completed everything first and then when I finally appeared we were allowed to jump the queue, give them my signature and we were away.

I am concerned about not being insured if you don't sign - we went through Sanford once and under no circumstances was I allowed to go into the Dollar office wiht Paul - I had to wait outside with the luggage. I think this needs to be stressed to your guests so that there are no nasty surprises should anything ever occur.

Good to know you can just pop into a local office though

chris
30-12-2004, 13:14
Last time I went to Sanford there were big notices saying 'only the main driver is to come into the office'. I am really confused. Paul travels all over the world with his business and he says that they only ever have to have the main driver sign when there are 3 businessmen travelling together who are all sharing the driving. He's done this in Italy, France, Germany, Canada, America and even India.