PDA

View Full Version : Big Macks First Trip Final Part

Big Mack
21-10-2004, 14:55
Sunday September 26th

The wind and rain remained very strong all day today and I think there was still a curfew on (not that we wanted to go out anyway!) so we just sat about the villa. We caught up on some sleep and read books, the kids played with Lego and toys that were supposed to be kept until they got home but we needed something to keep them occupied. The power was off and the phone line was down, however we still had gas much to everyone’s delight because gas meant cups of tea and the ladies in my family could drink tea for Scotland. It also meant that we could still have a hot shower so we weren’t exactly slumming it were we?

I ventured out to the van on and off all day to try and catch the news on K92. They confirmed that the storm had more or less passed right over us during the night but understandably the reporters were concentrating on telling us about the hard hit coastal areas and how the Sanford area was suffering very badly from flooding.
At night we gathered around our tea lights and played cards and drank beer, which was still relatively cold because not all of our ice had melted yet. We could hear the drone of a generator from across the lake and could see some lights on, obviously a well prepared resident.

Monday September 27th

Today the weather was back to normal, lovely sunshine and no wind at all. I spent the morning sweeping up around the pool and fishing all sorts of stuff out of it. Everyone was really feeling the heat and because the air-con was not working there was no escaping it. We all sat around the pool reading books and listening to the drone of the generator across the lake. Suddenly at around 12:30 the generator stopped and my immediate thought was that he must have run out of fuel, but then a much nicer thought entered my head. What if the power had come back on? I sneaked into the house and tried one of the lights…. YEEEEHAAAAA IT WORKED!!!!!!!![clap][clap][clap]

Well you should have heard us celebrate that one. I turned the pool pump back on and within the hour the kids were back in splashing about like loonies! The management company came to check on the villa and us and then we ventured out to Publix where we got some supplies and of course some beer. We saw lots of sporadic damage while we were out. A lot of pool screens in Crescent Lakes had been damaged and an awful lot of shingles had been blown off of roofs. There were lots of trees down everywhere and on the 192 a lot of the large signs had been damaged. It was difficult to tell how bad it was because there had already been a lot of damage around due to the previous hurricanes.

Back at the villa we sat around the pool while the girls decided to go in search of a phone to let everyone at home know we were okay. Once they got back we all got ready and headed for Denny’s for some grub. Denny’s was closed so we went into Bennigans for the first time. It was very busy but we had a very nice meal and really enjoyed it. Then it was back to the villa for a small refreshment before bed.

Tuesday September 28th

Today was to be the laziest day of the holidays. We got up around 9:30am and spent the entire day by the pool. The kids perfected their fish impersonations while the rest of us read books and generally chilled out. I had not brought any books because usually I can never sit still long enough to read them so in a desperate bid to relieve the boredom I borrowed my sons Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Five hours later it was finished and a very enjoyable read it was to. The girls ventured out again to phone Icelandair just in case there had been any cancellations for tomorrow’s flight, but no joy there.

We all got ready and headed back to Denny’s, this time it was open and we had a very good meal before returning home and hitting the sack. This doing nothing all day really takes it out of you!!!!

Wednesday September 29th

I was determined to do something today as we had sat around being lazy for the last three days. So after a long lie we all got ready and headed for Celebration. W

LiesaAnna
21-10-2004, 15:08
Thankyou Mack and all the family, this has been fantastic for us as we feel we have been with you on your first trip to florida,
i cannot let my hubby steve see this report cos of the Harley tho, he wanted to hire one when we last went but he was so afraid of getting lost, he had had a sportster when we last went but has changed it to SUZUKI BANDIT 1200,
i love all your photos and the way you tell stories is great
Thankyou, looking forward to your next visit (wish i could afford to send you[msnwink])
<span style="color:red">CHEERS!!!!!!!</span id="red">
[beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][grouphug]

huckleberry house
21-10-2004, 15:12
NNNNOOOOOOOO, I just dont want your trip reports to end Big Mack, at least I have next Septembers to look forward to, thank you so much for such an entertaining and gripping report, I was almost there with you.[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Lesley

linda.s
21-10-2004, 15:17
Brilliant reports Mack, and I am glad that you got home safely in the end! Looking forward to next years! :D

blott
21-10-2004, 15:33
Oh no, it's the end of the great BM trip reports... :( But hey, look on the bright side, we've got next year's ones to look forward to, yeah! :)

For a minute there, I was almost back in Crescent Lakes! [8D]

linsan
21-10-2004, 15:38
Great reports[clap]

Drew's always wanted to ride a Harley, in fact, we have to visit the shop so he can drewl[msnsad]

Will miss your reports but will eagerly await next Septembers[beer]

Rich-n-Ang
21-10-2004, 16:06
Great report as usual Mack.

I presume when you hired the Harley you had to pay all the usual insurances as with Car Hire ? and do you happen to know if you can have more than one rider named on the Harley rental agreement ?

Twelvetree
21-10-2004, 17:51
Hi Mack.
Thank you for sharing your holiday with us and written in such an entertaining way. It has kept me enthralled. My sister and her family are going over to Florida for the first time next Easter and I told her to read your trip reports. She is now hooked and is looking forward to it even more after your excellent descriptions of all that you experienced.
Great pictures and I am glad you had such a great holiday.
Tricia

[clap]

Madabouttigger
21-10-2004, 21:10
Ohhhhh the memories, so many things I had forgotten about you mentioned, it all came flodding back, thaks so much for bringing a little bit of Florida back into my life.[beer]

Lynne S
21-10-2004, 21:47
So sad that was your last one[msncry]

Roll on next year........ They have been great, even my Hubby sat at the computer to read them. He never sit's at it.

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

bmwtouring
22-10-2004, 01:16
Big Mack,
that was EXCELLENT,[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Rowan
22-10-2004, 01:50
Thanks Big Mac for sharing your exploits with us.
We're heading over for Christmas and now you've managed to wind us up even more!!!! as if that was possible....
After your adventures this trip I wonder what your next trip will have in store......Can't wait!!![clap][clap][clap]

MTP
22-10-2004, 03:08
Well done Mack, the whole adventure was trully epic and I have enjoyed reading every installment. I am glad you enjoyed your holiday so much and have already booked for next year. I often thank that facing challenges on holiday (like your hurricanes) and overcoming them often makes for a much better experience.

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 10:58
Great report Mack and an even better Harley. What did it ride like? Was it the same model that Arnie rode in Terminator 2?

Big Mack
22-10-2004, 12:17
Nostromo,

It rode great and was very comfy, as i say just like an armchair with wheels. Not so good going round corners as my sports bike but as you know there are not many twisty roads in Florida!!

I believe Arnie rode a Harley Fat Boy in the Terminator films. I could have hired one of these but then it would have been a Fat Boy on a Fat Boy, Couldnt have that now could we!!!!!!

Mack

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 13:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Big Mack
Nostromo,

It rode great and was very comfy, as i say just like an armchair with wheels. Not so good going round corners as my sports bike but as you know there are not many twisty roads in Florida!!

I believe Arnie rode a Harley Fat Boy in the Terminator films. I could have hired one of these but then it would have been a Fat Boy on a Fat Boy, Couldnt have that now could we!!!!!!

Mack
[/quote]

C'mon, you're not all that big; compared to the average American, you'd be called 'well endowed' (:D:D, that's all.

LiesaAnna
22-10-2004, 13:51
what would you call my other half then????????????????

you seen him in my pics?

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 17:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
what would you call my other half then????????????????

you seen him in my pics?
[/quote]

It depends on what sort of punch he carries in either fist. [msnscared][msnscared]

LiesaAnna
22-10-2004, 17:21
hes a furry domestic animal [bad language filtered out]a cat "meow"

hes a beefy boy;)
getting all girlie lately worrying about his weight, thought that was my worry!
both trying to lose a 1lb or 2 for the holiday got 5 weeks and 5 days do you think we'll do it[msnwink]

and yes i said 1lb or 2[msnwink]

no really gonna try............................................... ...........[msncry]

daisy
22-10-2004, 17:43
hi big mack, have really enjoyed reading your reports am sad that they have finished[msnsad].how did you remember all the things youd done ? [clap]

Lynne S
22-10-2004, 17:44
Both Dawn and I are trying toooooooooo

Now where did I put that Chocolate ???????????????[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Big Mack
22-10-2004, 19:34
Daisy,

I was blessed with a photographic memory at birth!![msnwink]

Actually, that is a total lie [msnembarrased]I cannot remember what i had for breakfast this morning!

i wrote down bits and pieces every day so that i would remeber when it came to doing my reports.:D

Mack

Ruth
22-10-2004, 19:55
Thanks Big Mack for such very entertaining trip reports. I have really enjoyed reading them:)