PDA

View Full Version : Well did it happen? Was anyone there?

steph_goodrum
20-10-2002, 02:43
Was there anyone who couldn't resist the opening of the Mall at Millenia, come on girls (and guys) give us the lowdown, just how many extra dollars and extra luggage space do we need for our next trip? That is if it opened on time.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2002, 02:46
And is the Cheesecake Factory open?????

We can't wait to try it when we are there in November. It was our absolute favourite restaurant in Chicago.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2002, 13:32
Just been onto the Millenia Mall website and uncovered the following:

Enchanting Millenia Tree Lighting & Santa Arrival

Friday, November 22 at 7pm
Orangerie Cafe Entrance
Sponsored in part by WKMG Channel 6, WMMO-FM 98.9 FM and the Orlando Sentinel.
Begin a new family tradition at this magical holiday event. Our 42 foot tree will be aglow with 29,568 lights, kicking off our premiere holiday season. Experience the wonders of a beautiful tree lighting ceremony and the arrival of this season's VIP, Santa Claus. Music and refreshments will be available for all those in attendance, and WKMG will be broadcasting live from The Mall at Millenia

If the children will be able to skeep their jet-lagged eyes open I think we might go, a win win situation, Santa for the children and shopping for John and I!

bellaepovera
20-10-2002, 14:16
Where is this mall located?

blott
20-10-2002, 16:02
Try here Patti

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=726

steph_goodrum
20-10-2002, 17:23
Or if it's not too tempting Patti, the website is www.mallatmillenia.com
It's actually Exit 78 of I4 (Conroy road). This is where the new milemarking system is handy as we know it's about 23 miles away from Exit 55 where we usually join I4.

ian
20-10-2002, 18:01
Yes, John & Sarah - all very interesting - BUT IS THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY OPEN?

blott
20-10-2002, 18:14
Yes, it did happen and it sounds as if The Cheesecake Factory is open (it's not mentioned on the list of those that didn't). Read all about it courtesy of the Orlando Sentinel at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/nationworld/orl-mallatmillenia-stories.storygallery

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2002, 18:26
Fantastic! I know where we'll be going for my birthday tea on my birthday whilst we are in Florida :D.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2002, 21:35
Thanks Blott - just read a couple of the article in OS. Just can't wait. Whenever we shop at Maceys or Bloomies in NY we always take all our receipts to the customer service dept and get free gifts. Hope they do the same in the Florida stores.

Noticed that there was a poll on OS as to whether the Millenia Mall was too up-market or words to the same effect and it was a close run thing for yes and no. I'm sure if it is promoted to UK guests then it should do well.

I fully intend to give the credit card a bending!

Sarah

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2002, 21:49
I'm not sure Ilike the bit about thecredit card bening Sarah :(!

steph_goodrum
21-10-2002, 02:43
That's what your "flexible friend" is for isn't it John.
Macys in Miami offered the free gifts as well, and some of them if you go to customer services will give you a form so you don't have to pay tax as an international visitor, well they did in NY

blott
21-10-2002, 03:16
Oh, go on John... Sarah only gets one birthday a year after all... ;)

esprit
01-11-2002, 03:18
I went two days after opening. It is situated very near the Conroy Road exit from 1-4 and is clearly visible from 1-4. There were huge queues right up 1-4 to the exit and a lot of parking problems. Has calmed down a bit now. It is not as big as it looks from the road as a lot of the space is taken by the anchor stores. It is very light and airy and modern and there are screens up with pictures of fish and the Grand Canyon ( not at the same time!) Shops are on two floors and are expensive, Gucci, Jimmy Choos shoes, all designer stuff. Tiffanys had a $40,000 necklace for sale and a very burly doorman watching you walking around like a hawk. There are also a couple of gadgetty type shops where they sell things that massage you and robots that bring you a drink and other essentials in life. And a small food court ( however I didnt see the Cheesecake factory but might just have missed it having found Haagen Daz.)
Seriously expensive place only for window shopping or those with big wallets. Macys and Bloomingdales had some nice Xmas decorations in. The place will look pretty all dressed up at Xmas. For shopping though, personally I prefer the Florida Mall or the Designer Outlet Mall where I dont feel so out of my depth!!

fiona
01-11-2002, 11:25
Are the Jimmy Choo shoes more there than here? I keep promising myself a pair, and then get real when I realise how much it is going to cost!

Still we shall be hitting this place, ED is hopefully off to study international fashion marketing at uni next year, so I think this comes under research don't you?!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
25-11-2002, 07:18
Just eaten at the Cheesecake Factory this evening and I have to say it was every bit as good as the Chicago one (except for being a LOT smaller).

Service good and food was just great - with huge portions too.

Can't say the same about the Mall - it was very reminiscent of the Trafford Centre which is near home in the UK - full of designer type shops we can find nothing to buy in and with a layout and roof just like the Trafford Centre.

Will probably go back for a better look round as the children were very tired, but only if we are not doing anything else more interesting.

mprince
22-01-2003, 15:24
we visited the Millenia Mall and found Gucci and Louis Vuitton very expensive compared to the UK. Had a great time in Macys and was given a 15% discount card as we were international visitors which is valid for one year. Wouldn't rush back though as far too expensive compared to other shopping in Florida.

fiona
22-01-2003, 15:35
We thought it compared very well to Florida Mall. Yes there are the very expensive shops, but it's nice to window shop. Bloomies and Macey's has great displays, good stock. I found a very attractive bedding set which was cheaper than buying one from Linen's n Things at Bloomies.

Downside was my daughter lost her Tiffany style bracelet there and didn't know. We tried lost property and the shop she knows she tried something on it, but no joy! Luckily I was a cheapskate and had bought the copy at £30 instead of the real thing!

steph_goodrum
22-01-2003, 15:53
Shame about the bracelet Fiona, at least as you say it wasn't the real thing.

We liked it there and Michelle picked up quite a few bargains in Macys, it's alsways nice to window shop even if you can't afford (or aren't prepared to pay) some of the prices, there is a great housewares shop outside Bloomies but can't remember the name but we went a couple of days after Christmas when their sale was on and the queues at the checkout put me off, they were worse than Spiderman and you couldn't get fastpasses:D

esprit
22-04-2003, 19:44
Well six months after we all queued up to get into the car park on opening week, the Orlando Sentinel reports that the Mall is already in trouble with two of the stores having closed down and business for the rest being not exactly thriving. All plans for expnasion have been put on hold and the developers are selling off the surrounding land for offices and condos. Question is who their target market was?? Very expensive designer shops selling non discounted stuff in competition with other discount designer places like the Premium Outlet Mall. Do you really go on holiday to Orlando to buy Tiffany?? The answer is, obviously not. We went to just window shop. Seems like everyone else is doing the same.

tinkerbell
27-01-2004, 15:41
Whats the deal with this place? Is it still in existence? During my entire 2.5 week xmas vacation, I did not see, sight nor sound of this place! Nobody mentioned it ever, and I totally forgot about it until I came back and checked here for news and saw it!

From the sounds of things i didn't miss to much anyway!

Angua
27-01-2004, 16:12
NOOOOOOOOOO!! Don't tell me it's shut! Y'all recommended that I try the Cheesecake Factory, I tell my Hubbie and we're both sitting here with our tongues hanging out. It can't be shut, please, please, please reassure me!!![msnwink]

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

tinkerbell
27-01-2004, 16:22
I'm sure that it isn't, I just totally forgot about it! there's always cheesecake factory in Disney Quest! Expensive slice of cake if pay entry just for the cheesecake factory though! It's not cheap at the nest of times! I had double chocolate something or other, and I couldn't finish it!

Angua
27-01-2004, 17:21
Calming down now, Phew!!!

Just been to the Cheescake Factory site......

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com

and there is no mention of the branch in the Millenia Mall being shut.

BUT, I'd just like to complain that none of you told me that they did a full menu, not just cheesecake. I'll never get out of the place!!!![msnwink]

Kind regards
Sarah[msncool]

blott
27-01-2004, 18:22
Well, we've just gotta keep a few secrets or you'll have nothing to discover! [msntongue]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-01-2004, 18:39
You should see the menu in real life Sarah - it's literally like a book. Never seen so many things to eat in a restaurant in my life - all of them absolutely gorgeous [msnsmile2]

quote:Originally posted by Sarah Seaman

BUT, I'd just like to complain that none of you told me that they did a full menu, not just cheesecake. I'll never get out of the place!!!![msnwink]

Kind regards
Sarah[msncool]

Angua
27-01-2004, 19:39
Now that's just plain cruel. We've got a whole month to wait!!!

Sob, Sob [msncry]

Oh wait, let me rephrase that......

We've only got a month to wait!!!!

Woo Hoo[msnsmile2]

fiona
27-01-2004, 21:44
Well the mall and the Cheesecake Factory was open when we were there at Christmas. Gargantuan portions at CF - had a salad and then couldn't manage cheesecake - even between me and the 2 gals!

ER
29-01-2004, 03:02
It was still open early January and Louis Vuitton and Jimmy Choo were less expensive than in the UK! Have a great time..

esprit
29-01-2004, 09:20
Its still there Great decorations over Xmas time. But the car park doesnt look exactly packed as I drive past, which I do quite often.
It isnt so desparate looking as Festival Bay however, Now theres another new mall which just hasnt taken off, loads of empty stores.

caseyd
29-01-2004, 10:44
There is a day spa that I have looked into going to that is right by Millenia Mall- can anyone tell me how far that is from the 27/192 interchange, how long a drive?