PDA

View Full Version : New York-Florida-QE2 - Final Part

Mo Green
21-10-2004, 03:44
For once we managed to get up reasonably early and discovered we were first in to breakfast. Just as we thought we were going to be the only people on our table the rest slowly followed.

Soon it was time to change and attend a service on board to renew our Wedding Vows. It does not seem possible it is 35 years.Coming at the end of a fantastic holiday made them even more special and meaningful. Cunard had thoughtfully provided a photographer, cake, champagne and, of course, a certificate of the occasion that we will always treasure.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/20041020233656_Weddingvows.jpg

This had been a very special holiday but after the week on board we both agreed we could not remember when we had last felt so relaxed. We could see why people returned to the QE2 again and again and promised each other we would make another trip one day.

Later that afternoon, as we drew nearer to the English Channel, a RAF plane and helicopter flew out to salute both ships. The QE2’s task of leading QM2 across the Atlantic was over. To great cheers from passengers on both ships QM2 pulled ahead to be the first into Southampton.

All to soon it was back to earth with starting the packing, all cases had to be put outside cabin doors by 2am that night, and change for our last night on board. Over dinner we exhanged addresses with the rest of our table and said our farewells as we were all due to disembark at different times next morning. Just time for one last final dance before packing our evening clothes and putting the last case outside our cabin door. We had finally caught up with UK time so for once there were no clock changes that night.

I had hoped to get up at 5am to see the QE2 sail in to Southampton. I did wake up at 4.30 am and switched on the TV to see the view from the bridge – on discovering it was very wet out there and there was not much to see in the dark I had second thoughts and went back to sleep.
[zzz]
A quick breakfast and time to say sad farewells to our new friends, waiters and our steward. As you can imagine 1600 people can not all disembark at the same time. We had been given a time of 11 am so decided to go up on deck to get out of the way of the army of staff who were now anxious to pack everything before the shop went off for a re-fit.

Once on deck Cliff called his Mum to find out how his Dad was. He had not been at all well before we left but the family had all insisted we go on our dream holiday and they would call us if he got any worse. It appeared he had had another stroke shortly before we left New York but MIL had insisted we were not told. After claiming our luggage and finding our taxi we drove home with very mixed emotions.

Life became so hectic on our return with hospital visits, moving MIL to be nearer us and sadly, FIL to a nursing home that it has taken months to find time to write my trip report. I hope you have not got bored but I have really enjoyed re-living it all. Thanks for all your interest and kind comments.

george
21-10-2004, 11:22
I have really enjoyed reading all about your trip - it sounds fantastic. What a great place to renew your vows. Thanks for sharing it with us

Pamela

LiesaAnna
21-10-2004, 11:58
Thankyou Maureen,
what a lovely trip report, and am so sorry it ended with your poor FIL having a stroke, and moving into a home,
love to you and your family,
Thankyou once again for your lovely story,

"congratulations on your "pearl" wedding aniversary
and many more to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how you gonna celebrate your 40th????????????/

linsan
21-10-2004, 13:59
Thanks for your wonderful trip reports and how lovely to renew your vows on board. That will be such a wonderful memory that will live with you forever.

linda.s
21-10-2004, 14:00
Wonderful Mo, and many congratulations to you both! I have enjoyed all your reports.......... Thank you!

Mo Green
21-10-2004, 23:31
how you gonna celebrate your 40th????????????/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liesa

I really don't know Liesa. This one will take some beating but we have got a few years in which to plan it:D

Cheshirecat
22-10-2004, 23:29
Mo I've really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks you for sharing it with us [msnsmile]

Carolyn

anna maria freak
23-10-2004, 04:13
[clap][clap][clap] Congratulations Maureen a wonderful end to a dream which I'm glad you chose to share with us all [msnsmile]

Lorraine

MTP
23-10-2004, 05:06
Mo, thankyou. We are planning on our ten year weddin anniversary next year and we had always said we would celebrate it by renewing our vows in Vegas. Unfortunately since we started this agreement Tom has entered our lives ...

... That's right we won't be able to go back to Vegas at a time that Tom Jones wasn't appearing!

But our ten year wedding anniversary and our 15 year "going-out together" anniversary also coincides with Vegas' 100 year anniversary.

It humbles me to read about your 35th year anniversary.[clap][clap][clap]

Thankyou for the wonderful reports.

Mo Green
24-10-2004, 16:22
Many thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and congratulations.