PDA

View Full Version : Florida 2004 - Part 6 - Keys and Dolphins!

linda.s
21-10-2004, 02:04
Day 11
Alarm goes off at 4am........ Sigh! I've only managed a couple of hours kip, as I am always worried that I won't wake to the alarm, so I only doze - daft eh? Slowly manage to rouse hubby and kids, and we all sit silently eating a bit of breakfast orange juice and coffee. We certainly don't look happy to be off on a fabulous trip today! Make it to the Howard Johnson hotel on the 192 by about 5.25am, complete with packed lunch and drinks, as we have no idea what the tour company will be offering us on the way. We are early, as we are not due to be picked up until 6am, but better to be there than miss it! Our other 2 sets of friends all arrive by 5.40am, so we are now waiting, together with a growing car park of other participants....... Big coach arrives at 5.45, and is swiftly followed by a smaller 14 seater coach. We are all asked to pack our non-essential (for the day) luggage onto the big coach, and head towards the doors to get on, when we hear the 3 surnames of our party being called out.... Apparently, as we are a party of 12, they have decided to give us our own tour guide and coach, and we are going on the mini-bus! Simon, our English driver was a really nice guy, working towards his green card. He has been in Florida for a few years, started as a holiday rep, and married another holiday rep who has an American father, so hopefully he'll be able to stay! Our coach was really comfy, and had dvd player and screens installed, so we sat and watched about 5 films over the next 2 days - You really must see 'The first 50 dates' (I think!) starring Drew Barrymore - was very funny! Once we got started, we finally found out our itinary. Today we are off to the Gator and snake farm, then off to the Bayside Hotel at Key Largo to chill in the pool or sea before the big BBQ that night. We arrived at the farm by about 11.15, ready for an 11.50am sir boat ride. Our guide on the ride was great, and very informative about the flora & fauna in the surrounding waterways. We saw plenty of gators, and some lovely soft backed turtles, they were cute! Once we had cleared the local area, he told us to hang onto our hats, and we were off! Many high speed 360 degree turns later, we were all drenched, but happy, and we poodled back to the farm ready for the gator and snake show. This was very educational, and we enjoyed watching the handler with the gators and snakes. We all got to hold a baby gator (with it's mouth taped!) and an albino snake that would have perished in the wild. We then had time to look at the growing pens, and the wildlife trail before heading off to the hotel. The hotel was basic but functional. 2 English sized double beds per room, and a small bathroom, but the showers were good, it was clean, and the aircon worked, although noisy! We got our cases from the now returned large coach, and settled into the rooms. Within a few mins, we were ready to explore, and the view from the beach was stunning. My son and one of the other boys went swimming in the sea, we all watched! I then excused myself to return for a shower, and get ready for the barbie! Once we were all ready, we popped over to the chemist to get some bug repellant, as they are supposed to be vicious here, then we went to the liquor store for booze for the BBQ. There is a cocktail bar on the beach, but apparently it's very expensive, so we were advised to buy our own. 24 bottles of beer (3 men!!) 1 bottle of Tia Maria for me, and a bottle of Vodka for another mum, the last mum doesn't drink - we needed someone sober! BBQ was ready by 6.30pm, and we sat at tables on the beach, eating steaks, sausages, chicken, burgers etc until we were stuffed! Then, Simon called out our son's name..... He was made to climb on a table, and everyone there had to sing Happy Birthday, then he was presented with a huge chocolate birthday cake, he was really thrilled! It was wonderful, sitting there at dusk, watching the sun slowly slip beneath the horizon....... Stunning. Once the sun had set, the men realised that the 24 bottles of beer

LiesaAnna
21-10-2004, 02:16
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
absolutely mind blowing fantastic............................
is there anything more i can say..................................:):):)

thankyou so much for a lovely lovely trip report, how can we top that????????????

need to win the lottery to fund all that!!!!!!!!!![msnwink]

linda.s
21-10-2004, 02:20
No lottery win needed Liesa - It was just over £200 each for the whole trip, not much more expensive than Discovery Cove for the day! Mosts costs were included, dinner, breakfast etc, and we got discounts on the Star Cruise $16 ea, and money off Hard Rock too! Yes, it is more money, but we'd have spent that over 2 days anyway probably! (Well, maybe 3 or 4 days, but I'm trying to justify it here!!) :D

linsan
21-10-2004, 02:48
Trip report great and photos are brilliant. Was thinking about DC as my daughter loved it but I think this sounds so much better.

Fletch
21-10-2004, 02:50
Hi Linda

Great report. I laughed out loud at the bit about the sea lion who thinks he is a dolphin![laugh][laugh]. By the way, are those gators really swimming in pea soup?

linda.s
21-10-2004, 02:58
Couple more swim pics.......... I WANT TO GO BACK!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/linda.s/20041020225738_new.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/linda.s/2004102022581_new1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/linda.s/20041020225820_new2.jpg

linda.s
21-10-2004, 03:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
Hi Linda

Great report. I laughed out loud at the bit about the sea lion who thinks he is a dolphin![laugh][laugh]. By the way, are those gators really swimming in pea soup?
[/quote]

I know!! The sea lion was a great character, he honestly thought he was a dolphin - his behaviour patterns are exactly the same, apart from the fact that he can get out of the water, and in his opinion, this makes him a very clever "dolphin" indeed!

It might look like pea soup, but I wasn't going to try any! Apparently the algae is very abundant this year due to the storms and heat.... Looks horrible doean't it? Look at this poor gator who got out and dried off with it all over him/her (didn't check!)

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/linda.s/2004102023359_Img_0398.jpg

WR1
21-10-2004, 12:09
Looks good I like your pic's, I think the cost was vgood. :D

WR

Ruth
21-10-2004, 12:55
Where did you do this dolphin swim Linda? I have done swims in 3 different places on the Keys and was trying to work out which one it was:)

linda.s
21-10-2004, 13:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Where did you do this dolphin swim Linda? I have done swims in 3 different places on the Keys and was trying to work out which one it was:)
[/quote]

It was through International Drivers, and we swan to the Dolphins Plus facility [website link edited] Great experience, and they offer all sorts of programmes that you can join in on. We might go again, but on our own this time (as we have done it with help now, so time to do the Keys on our own too!)

linda.s
21-10-2004, 13:21
Oh, if you look at the web page, and go to the babies page, you can see LB and Ding, and baby Makai. They were the dolphins we swan with!

LiesaAnna
21-10-2004, 13:39
Linda, these pictures are lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!1
thankyou for sharing all of this with us!!!!:)

Ruth
21-10-2004, 13:55
Thanks Linda. I did the swim at Dolphins Plus about 9 years ago but it looks as if it has improved. How long were you in the water with them?

linda.s
21-10-2004, 14:02
About half an hour or so Ruth. Not as long as we would like, but about the same as DC, but with continual interaction with the dolphins on a one-on-one basis, rather than DC where you take turns, and don't really do too much!

Lynne S
21-10-2004, 14:04
Great pictures and great Trip Report.

You looked like you all had a really great time.

[clap][clap][clap]

julieanne
21-10-2004, 14:20
Love the pics Linda :)

mprince
24-10-2004, 07:51
Looks wonderful - I want to go!

Ruth
24-10-2004, 13:16
Yes, that was about the same as when I was there. Having done 4 different dolphin swims (and doing a 5th at Christmas[:I]) though I still think Discovery Cove is very good as an all over package and day out compared with Dolphins Plus:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
About half an hour or so Ruth. Not as long as we would like, but about the same as DC, but with continual interaction with the dolphins on a one-on-one basis, rather than DC where you take turns, and don't really do too much!
[/quote]

linda allen
24-10-2004, 18:21
Love the pics and your account Linda, thanks.
We swam with the dolphins there back in 1997, it was fantastic.
I have got some great photos of my hubby swimming with them but as I swam first Bry was so exited about going next he forgot to take photos of me.
Is Discovery Cove worth a visit? and how does it compare? Ruth please tell more.
Linda

Ruth
24-10-2004, 18:44
I like Discovery Cove as an all day family experience. When I did the swims (in 3 different places) in the Keys, I was the only one to do it in the family so maybe this is why for me Discovery Cove was better as my 2 girls did the swim there with me. Although you only get half an hour in the water with the dolphins at Discovery Cove you feel like you have spent the day with them as you can watch them for as long as you want. Even James (then only 3) enjoyed going in with the rays etc. If you are in the Keys then do the swim there (and Dolphins Plus was better than Theatre of the Sea and the Dolphin Resaerch Centre in my opinion), but for me they Keys is all about scuba diving and boat trips etc.

I am aiming to do a wild dolphin swim soon, maybe next summer, as I really like seeing them in the sea best of all. Maybe that is why I love staying at the Gulf Coast now for part of every holiday we take in Florida:)

linda allen
24-10-2004, 20:37
Thanks Ruth, I think I will definately give Discovery Cove a try.:)
Linda

linda.s
24-10-2004, 23:55
I loved Discovery Cove, but as I said, for the money, this was better and more varied, as the total cost is abour $199 per adult for the whole 2 day trip........... Incl everything as above. DC is very good, but still a lot of money just for the one day.....

linda.s
28-10-2004, 01:02
Link to final part

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=15100