PDA

View Full Version : Florida 2004 - Information for travellers

linda.s
19-10-2004, 12:31
Thought I would post an update regarding some problems in Florida at the moment, to help anyone travelling in the near future.......

Now, as a not seasoned Florida traveller, I have no idea how normal the following is, but when we went at the same time 2 years ago, we didn't have these problems!

There are currently major roadworks on the 192, causing huge and painful delays in travel. We tried our best to avoid it, but if we wanted to go to Walmart, then we had no choice! Many turnings have been turned into mudslides as a result of the works, and a lot of left turns out of roads have been removed, so only U turns can get you back on the right road, and there aren't many opportunities for that!

There are also major roadworks on the I4 towards Tampa, so if you are off to Busch Gardens, then be careful. Wasn't too bad going, but coming back was a nightmare!

We found the traffic to be extremely heavy at most times during our visit, something we hadn't encountered before. So this could be useful if you are planning to get to a park early, leave a bit earlier than normal! Maybe this is due to the evacuees from lower down in Florida, or the Islands due to the hurricanes, but we really did find the roads hectic for October.

Restaurants too were very busy, unless you got there early. One night we were unable to get seated anywhere within an hour apart from Sizzlers!

I dread to think how busy it must be in high season!

Hope this helps!

LiesaAnna
19-10-2004, 18:13
thanx Linda for that interesting piece of information, making me think already and we're not going until dec hope thats not to bad for then......

E. Cosgrove
19-10-2004, 19:30
OMG Linda we go on Friday and I'm driving for the first time (I'm the only driver!)Not looking forward to all that traffic[msnscared][msnscared][msnscared]

CarolAnn
19-10-2004, 19:58
Perhaps a bit more pool time Liz:)

linda.s
19-10-2004, 20:00
Don't panic Liz - It might be busy, but it's still better driving there than here - honest! Drivers are more courteous, and seem to have infinate patience with us newbies! You'll be fine, and so will you Liesa!! :D

Ray&Sarah
19-10-2004, 20:38
Thanks Linda, will bear in mind your comments as we were planning to go to Busch next week whilst in Florida.[msnsmile2]

linda.s
19-10-2004, 20:41
I'm sure you'll be fine if you leave Busch at a reasonable time, we left at 5.15pm, so the middle of rush hour, and the roads were very busy........ Mind you, on the trip down they were busy on the return side of the I4 as well, so can't promise! Maybe have a meal there and leave later? Busch is great though, so don't miss it if you haven't been before........

Ray&Sarah
19-10-2004, 20:50
Have been to Busch a few time. We were planning a boat trip after for dolphin spotting. My son is bringing his girl-friend on hols and she has never been to Florida before. So we are trying to fit in a few tourist things along with Home Depot for our villa maintenance.:D[msnwink]

CarolAnn
20-10-2004, 14:14
Dolphin spotting sounds great! Where do you go for that Ray&Sarah? Sounds like a good way to avoid the Linda has been talking about;)

julieanne
20-10-2004, 17:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
Thought I would post an update regarding some problems in Florida at the moment, to help anyone travelling in the near future.......

Now, as a not seasoned Florida traveller, I have no idea how normal the following is, but when we went at the same time 2 years ago, we didn't have these problems!

There are currently major roadworks on the 192, causing huge and painful delays in travel. We tried our best to avoid it, but if we wanted to go to Walmart, then we had no choice! Many turnings have been turned into mudslides as a result of the works, and a lot of left turns out of roads have been removed, so only U turns can get you back on the right road, and there aren't many opportunities for that!

[/quote]

Linda

Sorry to hear you had a bad time drving.[msncry]

We were on the 192 four weeks ago and I have to say we didn't have too many hold ups. But the road works did mean we "lost" the central "lay-by" for our left turn which made turning left out of our community. Turning right was not a much better option as it took for ever to turn around.

We had several trips spoilt by road works further west along the 192 over a few years and thought they were completed. Must be said the road is much better and hopefully this latest stretch will be as good when/if they finish it.