PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus to Orlando?

flyrr100
19-10-2004, 03:42
I was flying the other day with a first officer from Dublin. He thinks Aer Lingus start Dublin to Orlando soon. Anyone know for sure?

blott
19-10-2004, 04:07
Yes, we're booked on their flight next April. :) Even with an overnight stay in Dublin, it still works out cheaper from Manchester and we get to have a non-stop flight that way (without the nightmare of having to fly Virgin!).

The service operates from 02/12/04 - 08/05/05 on Tue Thu Sat.

linsan
19-10-2004, 12:18
We've booked for flights for January and it works out less than £300 each including flight from Manchester to Dublin. Also you can clear US immigration at Dublin.

ujpest doza
19-10-2004, 13:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linsan
We've booked for flights for January and it works out less than £300 each including flight from Manchester to Dublin. Also you can clear US immigration at Dublin.
[/quote]

Presumably thats if you fly Aer Lingus from the UK into Dublin.

Only flights to Eire from the North East are now Ryanair, so would assume customs would have to be cleared in Orlando as normal if you arrive at Dublin via any other method than Aer Lingus.

Magical Dreams
19-10-2004, 15:31
We will be checking these when we next fly after Feb as we have already booked.

Although we are flying with Virgin and it was less that £1200 for 4 of us
2 Adults and 2 kids, Feb '05

What are the aircrafts like?? Never flewn with them before?

phaedra
19-10-2004, 15:57
I think you go through on the way to the departure lounge, it's in Terminal B, most domestic flights like Ryanair arrive at Terminal A.

Carla
19-10-2004, 16:07
I'm using this new service on 4 December. It's classed as a Charter, to get around some of the requirements for scheduled flights, but they will be using the normal Aer Lingus long haul planes. If you want to use it from the UK then you have to buy one return ticket from UK to Dublin and purchase the Dublin - Orlando - Dublin section as a separate ticket.

Magical Dreams
19-10-2004, 18:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
I'm using this new service on 4 December. It's classed as a Charter, to get around some of the requirements for scheduled flights, but they will be using the normal Aer Lingus long haul planes. If you want to use it from the UK then you have to buy one return ticket from UK to Dublin and purchase the Dublin - Orlando - Dublin section as a separate ticket.
[/quote]

Just been on their website, I found the same.

ujpest doza
19-10-2004, 20:40
I've had a look at it and the prices are very good when compared to BA and Virgin.

Problem is flying to and from Dublin with Ryan air from Newcastle.
Outbound is fine, but on the return you are stranded in Dublin until 2000 hours after arriving first thing in the morning.

andrewmckay5
19-10-2004, 20:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
I've had a look at it and the prices are very good when compared to BA and Virgin.

Problem is flying to and from Dublin with Ryan air from Newcastle.
Outbound is fine, but on the return you are stranded in Dublin until 2000 hours after arriving first thing in the morning.

[/quote]

I spent my stag night in Dublin and can think of some very good ways to fill up the time[drinkbeer]
andrew

Magical Dreams
19-10-2004, 20:55
Inconvenience vs Cost??

Inbound flights are more important than outbound!

All you want to do is get home!!

Magical Dreams
19-10-2004, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5

I spent my stag night in Dublin and can think of some very good ways to fill up the time[drinkbeer]
andrew
[/quote]
But I would not want to end up on the next series of Airline, and awkward with kids!!

[lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky]

ujpest doza
19-10-2004, 21:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pontelad
Inconvenience vs Cost??

Inbound flights are more important than outbound!

All you want to do is get home!!

[/quote]

Exactly.
With a 2 year old and a nagging wife in tow, the last thing you want to do is have to fill in a whole day waiting for a flight home with jet lag.
You just want to get home.

domster
19-10-2004, 21:29
We now live in Northern Ireland and you can get a train from Dublin to Belfast in 1-2 hour. From there you have thousands of flights to UK and they are much cheaper than dublin-UK.

We will look at these flights as well.

DOM

Ann-Marie
19-10-2004, 23:08
As one speaking from experience! Had to wait 7 hours last year in Dublin airport having flown Aer Lingus from L.A. to get a connecting flight to Edinburgh.

Will never do it again, even though it was a bit cheaper.:(

gromit
20-10-2004, 00:58
I have also been on the Aer Lingus website and found out about these flights. The idea of clearing US immigration before arriving in Orlando sounded really good but I thought it was doubtful, so I e-mailed Aer Lingus for clarification and this is only for US citizens not anyone else! The flights are 4 days per week, charter and there will be 2 meals on board included in the ticket price but most drinks will be an extra charge. There is not seat back video but there will be films shown on the overhead aisle screens. The aircraft they use only have 3 bassinet positions and are on a first come first serve basis. The rate were quite good and we will remember this route if we get stuck in the future. I hope the information I have found out is of help to some of you.

I use Aer Lingus when I visit relatives in County Clare and I have never had a problem with them on my short flights.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2004, 01:35
The clearing US immigration in Dublin is for anyone - not just for US citizens. They have got their wires crossed somewhere there.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gromit
I have also been on the Aer Lingus website and found out about these flights. The idea of clearing US immigration before arriving in Orlando sounded really good but I thought it was doubtful, so I e-mailed Aer Lingus for clarification and this is only for US citizens not anyone else! The flights are 4 days per week, charter and there will be 2 meals on board included in the ticket price but most drinks will be an extra charge. There is not seat back video but there will be films shown on the overhead aisle screens. The aircraft they use only have 3 bassinet positions and are on a first come first serve basis. The rate were quite good and we will remember this route if we get stuck in the future. I hope the information I have found out is of help to some of you.

I use Aer Lingus when I visit relatives in County Clare and I have never had a problem with them on my short flights.
[/quote]

gromit
20-10-2004, 01:45
The US immigration was a personal e-mail from Aer Lingus and not just information from the website so I can only say what I was told!

Thank you for writing to us at aerlingus.com.

The direct service from Orlando is a charter service operated by Aer Lingus. The equipment has three basinet positions for infants on a first come first served basis. The flight includes dinner or lunch and soft drinks. Alcohoic drinksl are available at an additional charge. US citizens pre clear cutoms in Dublin and complete customs with final declaration on return to the point of re-entry to the US.

I hope this answers your query. If you need further assistance please contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Rich Fitzgerald
Aerlingus.com Customer Support

carolmc
20-10-2004, 01:49
You are quite right - clearing US Immigration is for everyone...we have been using this for years.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2004, 01:54
Maybe she thought you were a US citizen and thus was trying to personalise her message for you. I can tell you that the customs in Dublin is definitely for anyone and not just US citizens.

The US immigration was a personal e-mail from Aer Lingus and not just information from the website so I can only say what I was told!

Thank you for writing to us at aerlingus.com.

The direct service from Orlando is a charter service operated by Aer Lingus. The equipment has three basinet positions for infants on a first come first served basis. The flight includes dinner or lunch and soft drinks. Alcohoic drinksl are available at an additional charge. US citizens pre clear cutoms in Dublin and complete customs with final declaration on return to the point of re-entry to the US.

I hope this answers your query. If you need further assistance please contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Rich Fitzgerald
Aerlingus.com Customer Support

[/quote]

gromit
20-10-2004, 02:09
I can only think that despite my e-mail with a UK address and British details she has got confused, they must have thought I was a US citizen. I will look into it again! It really is nice to know about clearing immigration in Dublin, the time it will save.....

belfastbob
20-10-2004, 02:33
WE ARE GOING TO ORLANDO ON 19TH DEC-6TH JAN AND ARE GOING AER LINGUS FROM DUBLIN-BOSTON. THEN A 3HR STOP AND ON TO ORLANDO WITH DELTA.THIS IS A FIRST FOR US.ANYONE TRAVEL THIS ROUTE BEFORE?WHAT ARE THEY LIKE TO TRAVEL WITH,ALSO THE SAME WITH DELTA? I'M HOPING BOSTON AIRPORT IS EASY TO GET AROUND.THERE ARE 5ADS.AND ONE 9YR OLD.REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE WHOLE CHRISTMAS /NEW YEAR IN DISNEYLAND AS ITS A FIRST FOR US ALL.ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2004, 02:37
Taken from the Dublin Airport website at http://www.dub.aero/AR_Dublin/Live/Lv_pres_GenTemplate.asp?strPage_Name=DN_USPreInspe ction:

Pre Clearance Facility Believe it or not, you can take off from the United States, at Dublin Airport!

From the time you park your car, check-in and browse through our extensive duty and tax free shopping area, you can set foot in the United States in just thirty minutes!

Dublin Airport introduced its pre-clearance facility for transatlantic flights in association with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) in March 1994. You can now have all of your passport and visa documentation cleared before boarding your flight at Dublin, thus saving up to two hours valuable time on arrival in the U.S. One simple step over the immigration line at the boarding gate and you have already arrived in the United States!

This unique facility is another example of Dublin Airport's continued commitment to their customer needs - both airlines and passengers - and to the provision of the very best service at one of the world's most modern airports.

I can only think that despite my e-mail with a UK address and British details she has got confused, they must have thought I was a US citizen. I will look into it again! It really is nice to know about clearing immigration in Dublin, the time it will save.....
[/quote]

phil moloney
20-10-2004, 03:07
You are correct John! You arrive in the US and walk through with all the natives! This is the case for any flight from the republic of Ireland to the US no matter what airline you are on Aer Lingus Delta or Continental. You can then relax on the flight - you are really on your way. The difference it makes when you arrive in Orlando is incredible. After one flight into MCO via London I said never again. I had to join a queue for passports in Orlando in the heat with many others (a few plane loads).
There is a very good bus service from outside the door of the Dublin airport (aircoach) to the city centre costing only €12 return stopping off at all the main hotels but you do not have to be staying in a hotel to use it. It runs every 15 mins until midnight and hourly thereafter. They are very helpful at the airport in getting you to where you need to go. Hotels are not too expensive in Dublin. We are used to high prices here in recent years but you can get a good deal in hotels if you check it out. Belfast is a good option. You can get a bus directly from the airport to Connolly Street Station where you get the train to Belfast. Dublin to Belfast is an efficent train service.

ncmurray
26-10-2004, 17:23
For what it is worth, I regularly get flights to Dublin from Liverpool for as little as 1 cent, and sometimes as much as 99 cents!!! This does not include taxes[msnsad]

One drawback, though. This is with ryanair, and they have a hefty luggage charge for anything over 15 kilos per person.

David
26-10-2004, 19:50
Note that Ryanair also screw you for carrying golf clubs. 25 Euro; per bag per sector.

David

gromit
27-10-2004, 00:00
All of Ryanair's little charges soon add up!!!!!

linda allen
02-11-2004, 23:50
Does anyone know if this aerlingus service will continue after May 8th 2005.
Linda

David
03-11-2004, 00:56
At this point in time it would appear that the charter service will cease on the 7th May. They cancelled the Baltimore route over the winter to use the aircraft for Orlando.
Aer lingus are planning to fly some new routes into the States and the rumour is that Miami or Orlando will be one of those routes. (The others being San Francisco and some where in Texas)

David

dolphinv
04-11-2004, 05:36
Getting tru immigration in Dublin is great, but bear this in mind go down stairs early!! There is little or no air con in the area and when 2-3 flights go together its baking down there. There are 4 or 5 gates beyond the desks and no return to duty free. There is a small coffe/refreshment shop and loos but thats it once you cross to US side.

The Aerlingus planes are AerBus and if they use the baltimore ones they have small screens in back seats, otherwise its the isle TV's. The food is usally ok beef lasange or chicken with rice, soft drinks and juices are free, wine and spirits €4-5...

I don't think the flights will go beyond May for the moment but if they go well it may spur them on to take Orlando rather than Miami.

cjboatman
04-11-2004, 13:44
We live in Northern Ireland too, and its much simpler to drive down to Dublin (about one hour) than to get a connecting flight to one of the London airports and then hang around there for hours. Obviously if you live in england this is not such a problem.

I priced flight last night, and they are very cheap. Does this mean the quality is also reduced. Does anyone know what the seat pitch is like, nothing worse than being sardines for eight-nine hours.

Southsider
04-11-2004, 14:23
Is the emmigration at Dublin only for Irish Citizens though? As the Irish have special arrangements with the USA and can be included in the Green Card Lottery for USA, but is not available for UK citizen.

Tricia

rainyday
05-11-2004, 14:44
No, anybody can pre-clear immigration. You fill in the exact same forms and have the same interview as you would on arrival in the US.
On arrival in the US, all passengers on the flight are ushered through a special channel to avoid the immigration area - straight into the baggage collection area. They couldn't do this if some people had pre-cleared and some hadn't.

belfastbob
06-11-2004, 02:02
when we are flying to orlando from dublin,we go via boston.will our luggage need to be claimed in boston,or will it be directly transfered on to orlando. we've heard conflicting reports.

carolmc
06-11-2004, 02:56
We have used this route, many times, and on each trip we had to "move" the baggage from reclaim area to a transfer belt. Only a few steps between but you do have to claim and transfer your bags.

clairec
09-02-2006, 17:58
does anyone know has this service now been cancelled? we used it twice last year, jan205 and nov 2005 and found it great, but now i cant find it on the aerlingus website [msncry]

blott
09-02-2006, 18:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by clairec
does anyone know has this service now been cancelled? we used it twice last year, jan205 and nov 2005 and found it great, but now i cant find it on the aerlingus website [msncry][/quote]It's no longer running as far as I know.

Liam_Sandie
09-02-2006, 19:02
Claire it stopped on 14/1/06. Not sure why..we used it too and found it great...it was really competative prices too! Such a shame...suppose they must have had their reasons..[msnsad][msnsad]

dawn
09-02-2006, 20:50
We used it at Xmas too - great seat pitch, seat back tv's and games and lovely crews - shame, maybe if the demand is there they will continue at a later date[msnsmile]

orlandodaze
09-02-2006, 21:01
We are disgusted with Aer Lingus for doing away with the Dublin /Orlando route , some say the staff were unhappy with their perks , others say that Aer Lingus replaced the Orlando route with the new route to Dubai , anyway we found it so convienient . Now we have to travel through Britian or fly to New York with Aer Lingus and get a flight down to Orlando or Tampa.Its difficult to understand why they did away with it because it was a very popular route.:(:(:(:(:(

Macka
09-02-2006, 22:27
Call me an old cynic Olive, but Aer Lingus would probably be able to charge a lot more to Dubai than Orlando as it's not as popular. It's a shorter flight time too if I remember correctly.

Money talks.

orlandodaze
09-02-2006, 23:12
Just for you Paul I got on to Aer Lingus and a return flight to Dubai would cost you 530 euro and 60 cents , now if I could get a flight to Florida for that I would be a happy bunny . Of course the cynic in me thinks that in time they will increase that price considerably .

Macka
09-02-2006, 23:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
Just for you Paul I got on to Aer Lingus and a return flight to Dubai would cost you 530 euro and 60 cents , now if I could get a flight to Florida for that I would be a happy bunny . Of course the cynic in me thinks that in time they will increase that price considerably .
[/quote]

Shame on me for my misplaced cynicism Olive. Hmmmm so 380 quid to Dubai eh? Tempting......