PDA

View Full Version : Taking cameras - duty on return?

phaedra
17-10-2002, 19:35
Hi, we're all taking cameras to Florida in December, I'm taking a couple of new digitals and my 35mm, total value about £3000. Can I 'declare' these to customs before I leave as I don't fancy being stopped by customs on the return and being asked to pay duty!.

ian
17-10-2002, 19:39
I would think if you take the receipts showing them bought in the UK with clear identification there would be no problem. Other than that fly into Glasgow, there's never anyone on duty there as far as I have experienced.
Ian

mikewj
21-10-2002, 21:11
Everyone takes cameras and camcorders over to Florida. The customs officers know what type of trip you're going on and expect it, so you shouldn't have to worry.

Customs target flights from sensitive/risky destinations. I've never seen one at any airport I've landed at when I've returned from Florida.

Carla
21-10-2002, 21:22
Just as a word of warning, my husband put a camera plus his mobile phone down on a table for a few seconds at Universal and within that short time they were lifted - never to be seen again. Make sure that you wear them around your neck or put them into lockers at all times when in the parks.

blott
21-10-2002, 22:40
Also, keep an eye on them at all times when going through security checks as they have been known to disappear off the end of the x-ray scanner conveyor belt. Delegate someone to go through security first and have them stand at the end of the belt to make sure they're all picked up (by the right people!).

Another tip is don't pack any films in your cargo baggage as the x-rays used to for this are much stronger than for hand luggage and can ruin your films.

mikewj
21-10-2002, 23:15
I had a different experience in Universal a couple of years ago when I left my camcorder on a bench outside Earthquake. When I realised it was missing and went back, someone was just handing it to a Universal employee.

Its always been one of the things I liked about Floridian themeparks, people all seem to be honest and friendly, but I suppose things change !

Alasdair
22-10-2002, 02:19
The worst that can happen is that, if Customs suspect that you bought the camera or similar expensive items abroad, then they may detain the items pending proof of purchase in the EC. Best to take copy receipts with you.

By the way Florida is a known stopping off point for drugs coming from the Caribbean and all points south so don't take it for granted that there will be no Customs when you return.