PDA

View Full Version : Martinair or Northwest Airlines to Florida?

phaedra
13-10-2002, 23:22
Anyone flown with either of these?, I need to fly from Newcastle in December and these seem to be the 2 cheapest options. All I can find about Martinair is that their 767-300 seats are small which is bad news as I'm 6'6' with osteoarthritis in both knees :(

blott
14-10-2002, 03:20
Welcome Phaedra!

I haven't flown with either airline so I can't help much but, I have to say, it's going to be a long flight if the seats are cramped and you've that tall with OA too! Perhaps cheapest isn't best, in your case, if you're going to be uncomfortable or in pain?

phaedra
14-10-2002, 06:07
Doesn't seem to much of a choice or airlines from Newcastle whichever way we go!, I think I've found a flight with American Airways who seem to offer 34" pitch as standard, pricewise Martinair/KLM, North West (more small seats!) or American Airways are all about the same price about £3300 for 6 1/2 of us, it's working out about £800 more than flying with Choice from Gatwick/Manchester.

ian
14-10-2002, 06:39
We've just flown into Chicago from Glasgow with American Airlines and there certainly seemed a bit more space pitch-wise. Food was OK as well, so all-in-all a decent flight - here's hoping the return is as good.
Ian

blott
14-10-2002, 15:07
In that case, I'd agree with Ian and go with American Airlines. I think I'm right in saying that they've got one of the best seat pitches on the transatlantic route so should at least give you a chance of being comfortable.

They've been recommended to us on many occasions but they just never seem to have a suitable flight available when we're travelling!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-10-2002, 15:24
We've flown with American and can confirm the seat pitch is good, the food pretty good and the in-flight service one of the better ones for US carriers.

Andy & Arlene
17-10-2002, 01:46
We flew KLM from Amsterdam to Detroit and back last year and they were fine. Then with North West from Detroit to Orlando return. To be honest I can't remember the pitch size, but it was an internal flight, so wasn't that bad. I would certainly use them again. Compared to BA they were a lot cheaper.

Arlene

bellaepovera
17-10-2002, 15:37
If you do choose to take the cheaper flights ask for a aisle seat. My son is over 6 feet tall and has this problem also so i always ask for a aisle seat if possible. Or seats in the back as i find them always empty so you can stretch out. What are pitch seats? Did you hear this last summer that is you are a certain weight they are going to charge you for 2 seats? Wonder how they are going to estimate who is fatter then who?

blott
17-10-2002, 16:03
Patti

Seat pitch is the distance from the seat back to the back of the seat in front so it's used as a measure for leg room.

ian
17-10-2002, 16:09
Well we'd a good flight back as well with American. Left Boston 30 mins late so had approx 20 mins to change at Chicago but no problem. I maybe just didn't notice before but thought they did use ''The Captain has put on the seat belt sign'' quite often even when it didn't seem bumpy. I remember reading possibly on here or TF that happens when the attendants want to keep everyone in their seats.
Ian

bellaepovera
17-10-2002, 23:14
Thankyou Blott never heard it termed out in that way.
Do you have to ask for that or are they on that airlines automatically?

blott
18-10-2002, 17:04
Patti

Some airlines will tell you, for instance on their individual websites, about their seat pitch.

Try the following links to check out seat pitches on various airlines before you book!

http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm (for economy seats)
http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seat_intro.htm (for first, business and economy seats)
http://www.grandstyle.com/roomycoa.htm (for seat width and other useful seating info about various aircraft)

SueJ
29-10-2002, 15:20
US Airways have a good Econ seat pitch, and also a good video system [ seat back sets, with pause and individual control]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-10-2002, 15:26
I'd agree - we went with US Airways in April this year and their video system was really good - excellent choice of films, games and music!

We went with Virgin in September and in contrast the video system was rubbish - mine stopped working after about 1 hour on the way out and we heard lots of passengers complaining about the same problem to the cabin crew whose attitude was 'there is nothing we can do'. Rubbish when you are paying the expensive Virgin prices :(.

Carla
29-10-2002, 15:44
A friend of mine is a seasoned Virgin pilot and he says that the standard of cabin staff has gone down very markedly over the last few years. They get the youngsters who look pretty, but that's about all the assets that most of them have!