PDA

View Full Version : west facing pool

lexton
17-10-2004, 13:50
We are going to Florida the last 2 weeks in January,would a west facing pool be o.k.for then,as we were out in Sept,and had a north facing pool and in the afternoon the sun was on the front of the villa not in the pool area.Don't want to go in January and not to be able to use the pool, especially as we are taking my elderly mum who would love to be able to use the pool.[msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
17-10-2004, 14:09
has it got heating?????? we are going for the first two weeks in Dec and we have pool heating on, i dont think it would matter to any of my family what way the sun was!!!!!!!!!but its lovely to have the heating on you can go in in the middle of the night...........:)

E. Cosgrove
17-10-2004, 14:54
Depends on what else is around you, but you should get sun in the afternoon no problem[8D]

Ray&Sarah
17-10-2004, 15:16
Would definately get the pool heated at that time of year anyway whichever way the pool faces as the water can be chilly for youngsters and older members of the group. SOme guests ask for pool heating all year round too.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
17-10-2004, 15:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Depends on what else is around you, but you should get sun in the afternoon no problem[8D]
[/quote]
I may have confused you! I wasn't suggesting you would not need pool heat[msneek]For me it would be an absolute must in Jan!
Just saying that if you are sun worshippers the sun should reach the west quite quickly at that time of year[msncool]

17-10-2004, 22:06
I would go for south facing if it was me!

Lynne S
17-10-2004, 22:43
South for me to [msncool]

chrizzy100
17-10-2004, 23:08
I have a north facing back garden....I get full sun most of the year..nearly all day.....then one side is sunny and the other in shade the rest of the year......my back neighbours has a south facing back garden.....but their pool is in the shade a lot of the day even in high summer....mostly because of the design of the house.....winter time the pool will need heating so unless you want the sun beating down on your head all the time........I don't think which way the the garden faces is much of a problem.......

Ruth
17-10-2004, 23:40
My pool faces North East but gets the sun all day all year round because of the size of the pool deck and the design of the house. Please don't write off all pools which face North as for some it is not a problem :)

amy
18-10-2004, 00:12
A West facing pool will be fine, dependent on the size of the house the sun comes round about 10.30 and it is there until it sets.
What ever direction it faces, I would recommend pool heating at that time of year.

Magical Dreams
18-10-2004, 00:50
The sun changes direction slightly throughout the year. As Chrissy100 says it depends on the design of the house and what is around it! If you have a large wooded area, this may add to the shade.

I would still advise on Pool heating just in case you get overcast days and the water is not quite to your desired temperature!!

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2004, 14:07
A lot of people, including us were keen on South facing pools and it was the one thing we thought about when buying our villa as it was more east facing. We have been out to the villa site 3 times since we bought all at various times of the day, from mid morning to early/mid evening and the sun has been on the deck everytime. Would always go for heating at that time of year to.

CarolAnn
18-10-2004, 15:54
West facing sounds like it should be ok, though I am a South facing manic personally! Assume you have booked the villa anyway? Obviously we are ALL agreed that pool heat is a definate for January.

heathercobbett
18-10-2004, 22:53
South facing pool was number one on my list when we bought,so I feel very strongly about it.Same goes in England;our first house had a north facing back garden and after that I wouldnt even view a house that wasnt south facing

You sometimes see people in north facing homes sunbathing in the front garden

Cowboy
18-10-2004, 23:43
Ruth,
Ours is like yours and both ourselves and guests find it ideal.
Mike and Kath.

chrizzy100
18-10-2004, 23:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
South facing pool was number one on my list when we bought,so I feel very strongly about it.Same goes in England;our first house had a north facing back garden and after that I wouldnt even view a house that wasnt south facing

You sometimes see people in north facing homes sunbathing in the front garden
[/quote]

We looked for a north facing back garden so we'd not get the sun....and it gets the sun all day....you just can't win sometimes......

A north facing front garden is a must if using the garage as a games room.....my garage is an oven by mid morning......

Champagne
19-10-2004, 16:54
Our pool is South West facing and gets sun from late morning right through until it gets dark in January. Our friends have a North facing pool and they spend their afternoons with us at our pool to enjoy the sunshine - so the way it faces does have an impact.

Yes to needing pool heating - unless you like to get thermic shock on your pool visits!

SunLover
19-10-2004, 19:22
We are completely south facing over our pool and deck area.

Lots have guests have asked about the orientation of our pool, so I guess it is important. It certainly was for us when buying, as you can tell by my "nick" SunLover !!! [8D]

We get the sun from early morning until sunset. Looking out of my window now in the UK, at grey skies and misty drizzle, I wish I was there now [msncry]

lexton
19-10-2004, 19:27
Thanks very much for all your replies.I knew that I would definately need the pool heated when we go in January,as the water may be a bit chilly [:O].I have now booked a villa which is south facing.[msnsmile2]

Ruth
19-10-2004, 21:22
Please don't tar all North facing pools with the same brush. I repeat, it is not a problem for ours, and for many other owners I suspect. I have booked 44 weeks this year for our villa and not one set of guests has commented on lack of sun on the pool deck;)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Champagne
Our pool is South West facing and gets sun from late morning right through until it gets dark in January. Our friends have a North facing pool and they spend their afternoons with us at our pool to enjoy the sunshine - so the way it faces does have an impact.[/quote]

Cowboy
20-10-2004, 00:13
Well said,Ruth[clap],although you have filled 4 weeks more than ourselves. 10 of those weeks were repeat bookings, so our north west facing pool causes no problems.
Mike and Kath.

amy
20-10-2004, 02:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lexton
Thanks very much for all your replies.I knew that I would definately need the pool heated when we go in January,as the water may be a bit chilly [:O].I have now booked a villa which is south facing.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

As previous replies, south facing is not the be all and end all of pools. Alway take in to consideration surrounding properties and trees etc what can block the sun.

Magical Dreams
20-10-2004, 02:26
We had the option of a N,S,E OR WEST lots.
and chose north facing pool, we actually went up early morning to see the bsun rising and returned late afternoon to see it falling.

East to west......... Nothing overlooks it, (trees etc) I think it is perfect.

Each to their own!!

Remember also, the sun burns your skin quicker in pools , so be careful where ever you swim

[lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky]

Cruella DeVilla
20-10-2004, 04:17
Some of the South facing pools in our area back onto a road which is one of the reasons we chose not to have a South facing pool. Personal choice comes into it again I guess. I think you will get enough sun whichever way the pools face!!!![msnsmile2][msncool]

Robby
21-10-2004, 01:20
Totally agree with you CDV, we picked the plot that WE wanted and not with what would get us the best rental. [msnsmile2]

Lynne S
21-10-2004, 13:35
Any luck with the lottery Liesa ?

Are we looking for villa's in 42 days's ??????????

[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

piano
01-02-2005, 03:35
We have a west facing pool by a lake in Bridgewater Crossing - the front of the villa is south facing. To us south facing is no big deal as we get the sun all afternoon.[msnsmile2]

jen
21-03-2005, 00:32
Our pool is North facing but gets as much sun as the south facing villa behind us.
I guess it depends on yur personal point of view... we like the sun bit as we are fair skinned and burn easily we didn't want a pool area where we couldn't escape from the heat hence a large lanai and North facing.
Never had any complaints re this and have many repeat guests so we must be doing something right!

Jen

Ray9
24-03-2005, 07:55
Solar panels should always face true south. (If you are in the southern hemisphere, they should face north.)

May give you an idea of the suns heating ability

CarolAnn
24-03-2005, 16:40
South facing has always been a high priority to me, even at home!! But a personal choice:)

kokomo
05-04-2005, 18:45
Yes,

we have a north facing back garden and we have the sun all year round. If you had a north facing garden in England then I could understand the problem.

Welcome to the SUNSHINE STATE

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

kokomo
05-04-2005, 18:51
Yes, we have a north facing garden as well and the sun shines all year round. If you had a north facing garden in England I could understand the problem.

WELCOME TO THE SUNSHINE STATE[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

trevlad
06-04-2005, 04:35
on an honest note though and if the pool is not on an extended deck and if the house is 2 storey then the pool must be shaded at points during the day when the sun is low . i have spoken to owner(s) who confirm this??

trevlad
06-04-2005, 04:35
north pool!

becbecs
08-04-2005, 16:46
Totally agree Trevor [^]

It shouldn't matter which way the pool is facing, your not going on Holiday for the Villa pool, I would think the Parks and other activities are more important.

CERICROWLEY
08-04-2005, 17:51
We have a west facing pool. and the suns comes up from 10.am right through til sunset. Have been out in the summer,spring,autumn and winter and still no problems. But I always have the pool heated even in the summer. I am a chicken when it comes to be anything but hot.

caroline
08-04-2005, 18:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by becbecs
Totally agree Trevor [^]

It shouldn't matter which way the pool is facing, your not going on Holiday for the Villa pool, I would think the Parks and other activities are more important.[/quote]I disagree, a lot of our guests are regular visitors to Florida, so the villa and pool play a major role in their holiday.

chrizzy100
08-04-2005, 18:47
Totally agree Trevor [^]

It shouldn't matter which way the pool is facing, your not going on Holiday for the Villa pool, I would think the Parks and other activities are more important.

[beer]
[/quote]

I'm not so sure.....a lot of people seem to book up villas after going to FL a few times and have strange things called 'rest days'....[msneek].....so I would think that the pool is high on the list for those kind of people.....having it in full sun or shade is a different matter....my daughter throws up if she goes anywhere near a pool...and my son hates water no matter where its from.....so its never been something I've had to worry about....

becbecs
08-04-2005, 19:03
Point Taken Please accept my apologies for the statement

caroline
08-04-2005, 19:23
That's OK Fraser, we're all entitled to our points of view[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
08-04-2005, 19:38
Point Taken Please accept my apologies for the statement

[/quote]

Your statement is something I happen to agree with.......[msnsmile2]
My point is something I've learnt from reading other peoples posts...it just goes to show we don't all like the same things....[msnsmile2]

domster
08-04-2005, 20:52
I would imagine what design the house is. Ours is 2 storey and if we had a north facing it would block out the sun. Ours is south east so should be OK.

DOM

Lyn
10-04-2005, 02:38
We had a South facing pool and the sun was on it all day, to us this made it unusable in July/August. This would not be a selling point for me.

Carla
10-04-2005, 04:11
That's what makes life so wonderful. We are all so different. There is nothing that I love more than the sun and heat, all day long, and that's why the way that my pool faced was so important to me. If I get hot, I jump in the pool, or grab a glass of wine and sit under the umbrella (much more likely - my hair is already curly enough!!).[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
We had a South facing pool and the sun was on it all day, to us this made it unusable in July/August. This would not be a selling point for me.
[/quote]

Ruth
10-04-2005, 04:17
I agree with you totally Carla:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
That's what makes life so wonderful. We are all so different.[/quote]

luckylady
11-04-2005, 01:23
Sorry I have to say in my short time as a villa owner
Potential guests are very interested in a pool , a spa./jacuzzi
Also the temperature of the pool which way the pool faces
Barbara