PDA

View Full Version : Off to buy a house - The last chapter - for now

rosie
17-10-2004, 13:00
Sun Oct 10th

Only 2 days left and still no furniture and a few things to add to the snag list for the builder. The dishwasher wasn't working, the bath tap drips, the loft hatch doesn't fit properly and still no key for the owners closet. Not much we can do today as most of the builders have gone home for the weekend.

First stop this morning was the Market St Cafe at Celebration for one of their delicious omelet’s, yummy, then a quick wander round the Sunday Market. We got talking to a couple of the stall holders and swapped phone numbers etc, with a promise we would bring one of them some double decker bars over with us when we come back.

So it’s off for a bit of retail therapy (the shopping I have done so far has been for the villa so doesn't count ;)). While driving along the 192 I remembered they were building a new Super Target up near Xanadu, so purely in the interests of research we had better pull in and check it out. There were quite a few cars pulling in, so many in fact; the local sheriff was there to stop the traffic on the 192 to allow the cars to turn in.

Very nice store, all bright and shiny, we hadn't realized it had only opened today. Got ourselves a trolley and picked up a few things. Not as cheap as Wal-Mart though but still better than the prices at home.

Next it was off to Pinch-a-penny to price up the pool cover and roller, I'm sure this place used to be an IHOP restaurant a few years back? Al had a long chat with the man in there about pools and solar heating and said we would be back to buy all the bits we needed in Dec.

It was still only 1pm and we had been looking for a unit to put the DVD player, VCR etc on, beside the TV, for a few days so thought we better try and find something. Back up OBT, stopping once more in all the furniture shops with no luck. The only ones we liked were ridiculous prices, typical, Al says he swears I could walk into a shop with no prices and always manage to pick the most expensive item in the shop :D.

After 5 hours we gave up and started to make our way back home, stopping only at Dunkin Donuts long enough for Al to give a pretty good impression of Homer Simpson (mmmmm, donuts).

Spent the evening having a leisurely swim in the pool, chatting, and playing board games.

Mon Oct 11th

Walked off to find the building supervisor with my new list of snags and met up with a lady due to close on her house on the Weds. We got talking as you do and after saying where we lived in the UK, she mentioned her brother lived very near us. When she told me the address I was stunned. Not only does he live 2 doors away from Al's sister but he was the chippy who did all our woodwork when we remodeled our living room. What a small world indeed. We exchanged phone numbers and promised to keep in touch.

On the way back from the site office our new neighbours across the street where unloading furniture so we got talking to them as well (yes, ok I know, I talk a lot [chatter]). They are from Pennsylvania and intend to use the house once a month except in the summer so would be happy to check up on our house when they were there. Again we swapped details and had a quick look round each others houses.

The rest of the day was spent unpacking boxes and waiting around for various people to turn up and fix the snags. Still no key for the owners’ closet and we go home tomorrow.....

Tues Oct 12th

Last day.....

We had packed our cases last night and headed off at 8am to check in at Downtown Disney in order to leave it as late as possible to get to the airport. Got the seats we wanted for the return flight and went off to The Earl of Sandwich for a bacon and egg roll for brekkie.

Since we had hardly bought anything for our grand kids we wandered in the World of Disney shop to pick up a few bits. With a 6 year old who adores anything to do with Disney Princesses and a 3 year old who feels the same about Buzz Lightyear, it was fairly easy. In fact stopping spending was the hard part.

Outside to the pin trading stands to pick them up a couple of n

LesleyB
17-10-2004, 13:13
Thanks for your report Rosie - it's such a shame you couldn't see your villa with everything in place, but at least you will have that when you go over for Christmas. Hopefully Dawn can take some pictures when everything is in place so you can have a sneak preview?

Glad you had some time for a little retail therapy for you [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
17-10-2004, 13:44
Rosie,
Thankyou for sharing that with us...........
i feel disappointed for you that you didnt get to see your villa in all its glory, but hey you will soon enough and you've got the rest of your lives to enjoy it[msnwink]
hope you have a very lovely and very special 25th wedding aniversary:)
(ours next april) and enjoy it in florida[msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
17-10-2004, 14:52
Congratulations Rosie on your new home at long last, and on your forthcoming Silver Wedding....it was ours last year when we spent a glorious 3 weeks in New England. It just gets better and better doesn't it?[msnsmile2]

markjones
17-10-2004, 15:14
Hi Rosie,

Great tales of your trip just a shame that you couldn't see it all fully fininshed ... when you go back in 8 weeks time it will be like walking in to a new home again !!

Good luck & thanks for the report - really enjoyed reading it,

Kind regards

Kerry

Genie
17-10-2004, 15:28
Hi Rosie, that brought back some memories, enjoyed our chat, we're back home now too and counting the days to April !!! When you walk through the door in December everything will be just perfect I'm sure and even if it isn't you'll love it to pieces anyway.
It was lovely to meet up with you both and look forward to my guided tour round your home next time.

Ruth
17-10-2004, 16:19
Great trip report(s) Rosie. We are over for Christmas too and I can't wait[8D]

Mo Green
17-10-2004, 16:44
Great trip report and what a lovely way to spend your Silver Wedding in your very own Florida home. It is a lovely feeling when you return and can relax and enjoy it. Hope you have many many happy holidays in it.

julieanne
18-10-2004, 00:38
Enjoyed reading your reports Rosie :)

I just hope one day I am able to write a report that includes talking about the purchase of our very own Florida home - somehow I doubt it...

CarolAnn
18-10-2004, 01:19
Great reports Rose:)Need it in person now too[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2004, 13:59
See you there!!:D

CarolAnn
18-10-2004, 15:41
Rose, Just had to say..this is my 2nd read!It is a really engrossing read. Expect to see you in Ottakars for book signing next! Your trip has it all I think. You must keep adding to this.:)

Champagne
18-10-2004, 17:22
Thanks Rosie - good reading your experiences. We had our new villa christening last September and had an incredible time - don't think I appreciated the snags that could happen until I read your episodes! Our first visit was like being on honeymoon - the weather was incredible too and when we think of the hurricanes that were about in September this year, think we were doubly blessed.

Have a fantastic 25th wedding anniversary - be careful that you leave time for each other! We've made so many friends already that we really do have to plan to spend evenings by ourselves - they are definitely the BEST[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
18-10-2004, 20:58
Great report Rosie, have a fantastic time in December both for the first stay at your villa and your 25th anniversary. Congratulations.[msnsmile2]

stabard
19-10-2004, 01:48
Rosie - Glad to see you finally got the house. If not on your birthday. I am coming up to my mums next week so will give you a call and you can tell me all about it in person[msnwink]

SG
19-10-2004, 13:36
Hi Rosie

Thanks for posting such an interesting trip report, it has been great reading.

It is our silver wedding in December, but our villa will not be ready so we have decided to go to Tennerife for a week to compensate - it's a hard life [msnsmile]

rosie
20-10-2004, 00:27
Thank you to everyone for not only reading my trip reports but especially for all the good wishes.

You don't get off that lightly though I will be back with more after our December trip, this time with only good news I hope :)

I love reading everyones trip reports so I expect to be reading all of yours when you return ;)

LiesaAnna
20-10-2004, 01:24
and looking forward already to Dec's trip[msnwink]

ditto
23-10-2004, 19:15
Thanks for an interesting and touching report. I expect it was disappointing not to see "everything in place" before returning home. But just think Rosie and Al you will see it "complete" at xmas and when you are celebrating you special anniversary. I hope you have a wonderful time when you go.

Have been trying to work out what OBT was, asked hubbie, he was thinking hard also.
You mentioned it again in other parts of your report. WHAT IS IT WE KEPT ASKING EACH OTHER?
Think we have got it know....... is it Orange Blossom Trail?

Mandy

rosie
23-10-2004, 19:20
Yes Mandy, your right, it is Orange Blossom Trail, it took us ages to work out what people meant when they said it too [:I]

Thanks for your lovely comments also.

Calamity Jane
23-10-2004, 20:41
By Xmas Rosie, the downsides will all be a memory and you can concentrate on all of the good things, its so exciting when you walk into your new home and start puting the little extra touches in, I can guarentee that each time you go over you will add more and more and personalise it.

We are also over at Xmas so maybe we can say Hi at some point.

Congrats on your lovely new home, its beautiful :D[clap]

rosie
23-10-2004, 23:02
Thanks Karen, I'd love to meet up if we can manage it :)