PDA

View Full Version : Off to buy a house part 2

rosie
16-10-2004, 21:47
Days 3-7

Monday Sept 27th

Woke bright and early this morning to find the sun shining, the birds chirping and all was right with the world. The power had been restored at some point last night but not the phone. Considering there had been a hurricane just yesterday you would never know just by looking at the weather. Drop your line of vision a little nearer the ground and it was becoming clear that there had been some damage around us, so the first order of business was to check outside the house. It fared well, only losing some soffits, a shutter off the master closet window and a little leak at one of the living room windows. The tops of most of the street lamps on the community were at strange angles but mostly in place. The people across the street had gained not only a street lamp cover but also a portaloo in their front garden!!! Handy if the plumbing inside gets backed up I suppose.

Al walked around till he found the shutter and soffits and put them in the garage, pretty useless now, but at least they wouldn't just be lying around if it got windy again. Most of the trees were tilted at angles but seemed to be still in the ground.

Finally I can get out and have a proper breakfast.... Can you tell I'm fond of my food :-)

Stopped to check on our house to see how it had fared only to find one of the living room windows blown in and the place drenched. No one at the site office for another couple of hours so off we went.

Drove up to the MC's office to let them know about the damage and that Al had photos if they needed them. Then went for breakfast.

After stuffing myself senseless we went off to the mall to get a sim card for the phone we had brought over, then at least we could call people and find how much of a delay we were facing with our closing.

Went back to see the builders and find out what was happening. They had already been in and checked our house for damage and the building supervisor had decided drying the carpets wasn't going to work so he would replace all the downstairs carpeting, but it would take a few days to order up and get fitted.

Nothing much we could do now except go shopping and start getting the things we needed for the house. Spoke to the realtor and decorator and told them what the situation was, and that we guessed we wouldn't now be closing tomorrow.

Spent the day touring furniture shops and electrical outlets and then braced ourselves for Walmart. Managed to somehow fill the car up with stuff and get home with it all. Had a swim at the villa, a bite to eat and played some games before bed.

Tuesday Sept 28th - My birthday

Up early again and opened the cards I had brought over from home. Since we wouldn't be closing today we decided to visit Epcot as that is our favourite park. Weather was terrific, sunny and very warm.

First stop was Test Track; the queue was quite small so hopped onto the end of it. 10 minutes later an announcement that the ride had been stopped temporarily due to technical difficulties and would resume momentarily...... 30 minutes later, and ready to give up we got moving again, hooray.

Next up was Mission Space for Al, I had done this ride last time and will never do it again, the only other ride that made me feel that ill was Body Wars 14 years previously. The queue was huge so Al said we'd come back later.

Wandered over to the Fountain View cafe as they always serve delicious coffee and pastries only to find it closed :-( so decided to head off to MGM studios for a few hours. We took the boat from the International Gateway in World Showcase and the journey is about 20 mins with stops at the Swan & Dolphin Hotels and Boardwalk.

Somehow we always find some new little thing, shop or show we haven't seen in years, if at all, and this trip was no exception. We walked up the main street and into a shop and found they sold towels and things which you can have embroidered with characters etc. Having a 6 year old grand daughter who is into everything to do with Disney Princesses we ordered her a towel with her name and her fav

E. Cosgrove
16-10-2004, 21:53
Oh Rosie What alovely mixture of shopping, business and theme parks [msnsmile]
Looking forward to hearing about your second week and a happy outcome[msnsmile2]

jolliffee
16-10-2004, 22:29
Rosie! You must have been really tired to need a rest from shopping[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
16-10-2004, 23:03
thats lovely, glad you were all ok from the hurricane!!

theres a story to always remind you of hurricane jeanne and your new villa in years to come,
cant wait for next installment............:)

Mo Green
17-10-2004, 16:18
Rosie I felt shattered after buying everything for our villa two years ago -don't know how you fitted in theme parks as well.

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2004, 13:52
Hope you left some stuff in the shops for me![msnwink]

CarolAnn
18-10-2004, 15:25
Blimey Gal! Organised or what? I want to come away with you next time. LOL[beer] You do make it ALL sound so easy to fit in!!;)You haven't mentioned photos yet though? Get some?[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
18-10-2004, 20:51
Sounds like you had a great time Rosie, belated Happy many returns too.[beer]