PDA

View Full Version : what can you take to florida

jingleton
16-10-2004, 18:34
Hi
Just waiting for our visas to arrive which seems to take forever at the moment. Can you take indoor plants over to Florida? and what about food can you take tins of food etc? We are thinking of taking all of our furniture as friends in Orlando have advised us to take everything? We have a shipping firm working for us and they are charging about £1,000 which I didnt think was bad.

We are also about to put a deposit on an apartment in Lake Mary which we have only seen on internet is this wise? are there any good websites with rentals available?
Any information will be greatly appreciated

Janet

blott
16-10-2004, 18:53
That sounds awful cheap for your whole home contents? Normally you pay around £5000 for an entire container.

Personally, I'd probably not bother to take most of the furniture, etc as it's cheaper to buy in Florida than the shipping charges would normally work out to be.

A good site for rental apartments is http://www.rent.com and we have visited some of the advertised ones - generally the descriptions and photos are representative. Bear in mind, if you're arranging a lease over the internet, that you have to take out a minimum of 7 months so, if you make a mistake, you've got a bit of a wait before you can escape! Personally, I'd wait until you get there, even if it meant staying in a hotel for a few nights, so that you can look around for yourself. As your furniture will take about 8 - 10 weeks to arrive anyway...

esprit
16-10-2004, 20:18
If you are shipping stuff out, you can put some foods in there. I brought baked beans, canned curry sauce, teabags, custard powder, trifle mix, Cadburys choc, wine gums, Bisto. stuffing mix, branston. No problems with this. I wouldnt pack in shipping anything you cannot usually carry through customs not as I would think you would be packing a steak, bananas or soft cheese anyway!!!!!! There are iffy about plant matter of all sorts ( even cast aspersions at my mint sauce) so I dont think I would try houseplants not as I think they would survive the journey intact anyway, and they are cheap to buy here.
If you can find someone to carry it for £1000 ( and it cost me that to ship a few bits and bobs, no furniture) it may be worthwhile bringing some out with you. Any more than that, sell it and buy new.

jingleton
16-10-2004, 20:51
Thanks for these tips. I will read our shippping quote again, perhaps ive got the price wrong or we maybe sharing a container.

any ideas of how I go about finding out about my conversion course for nursing?

chrizzy100
16-10-2004, 21:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jingleton
Hi
Just waiting for our visas to arrive which seems to take forever at the moment. Can you take indoor plants over to Florida? and what about food can you take tins of food etc? We are thinking of taking all of our furniture as friends in Orlando have advised us to take everything? We have a shipping firm working for us and they are charging about £1,000 which I didnt think was bad.

We are also about to put a deposit on an apartment in Lake Mary which we have only seen on internet is this wise? are there any good websites with rentals available?
Any information will be greatly appreciated

Janet
[/quote]

Take a look at the apartments first......unless you speak spanish well you could find yourself with no one to talk to.....but saying that ....most places are clean........ full of nice people..and its worth learning spanish anyway......[msnsmile]

esprit
17-10-2004, 08:13
Take a look at http://www.immspec.com/landing.htm for info on nursing conversion courses.

flyrr100
01-11-2004, 19:22
If you are relocating here don't bring any food or plants. I moved here from Ohio and couldn't bring any plants!

chrizzy100
01-11-2004, 22:14
On the road into FL...there is a stop for people taking plants into the State......sometimes you can't even move Patio chairs and tables from State to state because of bugs.......so its best to buy new......