PDA

View Full Version : New York-Florida-QE2 - Days 27-29

Mo Green
16-10-2004, 18:07
People we talked to afterwards said what did we find to do all day – I think they imagined we just ate our way across the Atlantic. Activities started early at 8am at the fitness centre or the Walk-a-Mile round the deck club – no we did not make either. With the combination of sea air, late nights, clocks going forward each evening and the gentle rocking of the ship (and perhaps too much wine) we slept soundly each night sometimes only just making breakfast![zzz]

During the morning there were activities to suit all tastes from classes at the fitness centre, a spa and hairdressers for pampering, deck sports, lectures on subjects from ‘Life inside Buckingham Palace’ to opera, dance classes, computer workshops, cookery demonstrations, darts competitions, pub quizzes and groups for scrabble, chess or backgammon. One morning there was a really enjoyable question and answer session from the Captain who was, quite rightly, annoyed that the New York Times had an article reporting on QM2 starting her maiden yoyage across the Atlantic and had reported that her ‘little sister, QE2, had tagged along for the ride’! There was also several shops, including a branch of Harrods, photographers, and a library/bookshop. With 1600 passengers and 1000 staff on board it really catered for all tastes and eventualities.

Having tried the buffet for lunch once, we quickly returned to the Mauretania where we could have a more civilized waiter service. The lunchtime menu consisted of anything from toasted club sandwiches to a full roast. I quickly got hooked on the chilled fruit ‘soups’. For dinner we had to eat at our set table but at lunch we could eat at any table which meant earlybirds being able to choose a window table. If we sat at a table for 4 or 6 the waiters tended to show other people to our table which was quite nice as we got to meet several interesting people.

We discovered that there actually is an elderly lady who lives permanently on the QE2 but had got off in New York as the QE 2 was going in for refurbishment after she docked at Southampton. I imagined the lady would have a suite but was told she only had a small inside cabin. Before sailing I had thought it was rather a lonely life but several people were on the last lap of a world cruise, one had managed 90 trips in 35 years and several sailed on her each year so they all knew the lady. With staff to wait on her, people to meet, plenty of things to do and a launderette it’s probably better than living in a residential home.

Once again we were surprised by some of the American’s lack of geography. One couple told us they could not wait until the ship sailed up the Thames into London. When we explained they were actually sailing into Southampton they said they thought that was near London and asked if the arrival would be as exciting as the departure in New York? At 5am in Southampton on a Saturday morning? I don’t think so somehow.

After lunch there were more activities, cinema, Bingo or, if you had missed the morning lectures, a chance to watch a video of them on TV from the comfort of your cabin (this also had one channel permanently showing the view from the bridge). I must admit we were very lazy and spent a great deal of our spare time on deck in a sheltered spot just reading. There was obviously not much to see on deck apart from the QM2 and occasional tanker. Someone said they had seen dolphins but there were no icebergs even though we crossed the spot where the Titanic went down!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/20041016133842_Ondeck.jpg

This is me on deck

Most days the sea was amazingly calm - we would have liked an occasional rough patch to see if we were good sailors. The passengers who had crossed on the QM2 to return on the QE2 told us to feel grateful!! We noticed on the rare times it did get slightly choppy that the ships moved further apart – the Captain said it would have been embarrassing it they had hit each other in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!

While at sea each evening had a formal dress code but it all

LiesaAnna
16-10-2004, 21:51
ohhhhhhhhh Maureen, how lovely,
sounds like a wonderful time ..........
its also very nice to put a face to a name...........
cant wait till we read the next chapter
thankyou for sharing that with us.................:)

Mo Green
16-10-2004, 22:45
Thanks Liesa - nearly finished now.