PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up in Florida

Andy tips
16-10-2004, 14:24
Hi Everyone,
We are about to explore moving to Florida. We have the funds required and are seeking to achieve our move within a year. My biggest concern is what business should i be looking at buying. I am unskilled as a craftsman or trade but have managed my own company in the past. Has anyone any experience in identifying a succesful and profitable venture in Florida.
All things considered we would consider all things![msnscared]
Thanks in advance to all contributors
Andy

WR1
16-10-2004, 15:05
Try this web site Andy

Florida Business Brokers Association http://www.fbba.com/

WR

esprit
16-10-2004, 20:50
"Has anyone any experience in identifying a succesful and profitable venture in Florida."

Tee hee, to anyone who lives here on E2, this comment is like a red flag to a bull!! Well you will have a hard time identtifing s successful and profitable venture on fbba amongst some of the dross on there!! Anything successful and profitable will sell itself here and they will often sell privately. It is HARD to find a decent business for sale here, And if there was something successful and profitable to do here as a start up, someone would be already doing it. Certainly the tradional fields of management, pool care and lawncare are available but they arnt that profitable or at least not without putting many many hours in of work yourself rather than using employees. The question then begs itself, if I am working all the time, why I am I in Florida???
One thing I thought would take off. Every small management company here has a problem disposing of garbage on each clean. I have often thought that if someone set up collecting that ( yes I know there are public collectors but they dont pick up on the right days such as weekend days!!!) taking it away and finding somewhere to dispose of it, they would make a killing. Mind you the work wouldnt be to everyones taste!!

jingleton
16-10-2004, 20:57
Hi Andy

We have just brought a pool business in Lake Mary serving most of Seminole area. My husband has worked in the film industry for 30 years and knows nothing else, so this is all new to us. We have had a business brooker working with us who has been excellent. Hes an english guy living in Florida I can give you his contact number and email address if you want it.
Janet

footie
17-11-2004, 16:22
The ideal situation is finding a business that you "think" you would enjoy doing and have some background in.
If you are looking on the Gulf side, I can give you a Realtor who my friends have used, he specializes in and pre-qualifys E2's.

Ray9
17-11-2004, 19:20
A few thing to remember for this situation Realtors and Business brokers are not your friends your pocket is their only interest, its business, and can they smile!!
I could recommend you to somebody in every trade there is but my recommendation is based on what sort of cut they are going to give me ..
For those giving recommendation, This is a very litigous society
be wrong and it could cost you big time.

Advice: find these people yourself and if they are English that does not mean they will be any different too you ITS BUSINESS.

esprit
17-11-2004, 20:45
"I could recommend you to somebody in every trade there is but my recommendation is based on what sort of cut they are going to give me .."

How long you been here Ray?? That statement is the most frankly Floridian I have ever seen on here!!! The rose coloured glasses about how business is done here come off pretty quickly.

Most business brokers tell you you want to run a pet walking service even thouugh you hate dogs and there is no-one around with any pets because it is what they have on their books that they can make commission from. One spent a long time trying to tell me I wanted to buy a run down furniture store on OBT.

"find these people yourself and if they are English that does not mean they will be any different too you ITS BUSINESS"

LOL. Never a truer word. The Brits are often the worst!!

chrizzy100
17-11-2004, 20:54
I have been offered a job in realtors offices twice since being here......why...?? Because I'm a Brit......and people trust Brits.....I don't think I'd be very good at the job.....I did research work for a realtor on builders a few years ago.....so there are a lot homes I just could not sell......I'm just to honest to be a good realtor.......[msncry][msncry][msncry]

esprit
17-11-2004, 21:01
LOL!!!!!!Just stand in front of a mirror and practise the words "it is easy to get bookings, you will easily cover your costs", Chrizzy!!!

chrizzy100
17-11-2004, 21:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
LOL!!!!!!Just stand in front of a mirror and practise the words "it is easy to get bookings, you will easily cover your costs", Chrizzy!!!
[/quote]

The thought of saying something like that to someone makes me sweat....I can live life without a Hummer thanks.....LOL!

The trouble is......I would really love to sell homes......I spent a lot of time with my builders agent......and after all the homes were sold there......I would point people to the places I knew were good....and had one couple pop back to say they had gone for the home I told them about......it was a nice feeling.......:D

Ray9
17-11-2004, 22:38
"
How long you been here Ray?? That statement is the most frankly Floridian I have ever seen on here!!! The rose coloured glasses about how business is done here come off pretty quickly.
[/quote]
That will be $50 for that sort of info.. but suffice to say when I walk in my local car dealership.. the salesmen run and hide.

esprit
17-11-2004, 22:59
Are you in Orlando or eleswhere, Ray? Just wondering whether I will see the salesmen cowering in my local dealership:)??

chrizzy100
17-11-2004, 23:09
Are you in Orlando or eleswhere, Ray? Just wondering whether I will see the salesmen cowering in my local dealership:)??
[/quote]

Oh Julie what have you said.......LOL!

You said the big O word....infront of Ray..and then to add fire to the flames you asked if he lived there......all I can say everybody is lookout....incoming.......LOL![laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ray9
20-11-2004, 08:29
[/quote]
Chrizzy knows me well!! No I live on the Gulf Coast..I consider Orlando to be pretty awful ( and I an being very polite there, On my site stronger words are used)